Shut down the Server ?

For all the off-topic discussion, nonsense, spam, or whatever you want to call it. Post it all down here. WARNING: Entrance may result in drop of IQ.
Oldspice
Lobby Username: Oldspice Guy

Re: Shut down the Server ?

Post by Oldspice »

Jodocus_ wrote:Because the cheating situation on GR is much worse than for example here and there is no other option than a ban by CD key.
Will you be putting tribs back then? I mean, that's the only real cheating (apart from the very rare hex civ) and to be honest, I really enjoyed there being no tribs. 0% chance of cheating, so I never get accused of it anymore (altho some retards are religiously convinced I somehow manipulate the map to put my food and irons in the perfect spots), and I know noobs aren't using it either. This also reduces the moderation required, which can only be a good thing.

Also, I'm not sure, but are ee and aoc seperate lobbys?

Omega
Administrator
Lobby Username: [-Ts-] Ωmega

Post by Omega »

@Jossos

Yes, EE and AoC must necessarily be separate lobbies, but you can have both games running and connected if you like to play both. Depending on various constraints, it *might* be possible to have games cross-listed, although the person would still need to start the other game to join, and it might cause issues with bullshit games that a person who just plays one doesn't care about / can't join...

Ghost
Administrator
Lobby Username: [-Ts-] Ghost

Post by Ghost »

From my understanding:

Cross listing games or having shared chat or anything of that sort would be a huge challenge.

Each game requires the user to authenticate separately, and sharing any data would require a shared server or sharing sessions across servers. This would mean that each user would have to have 2 accounts in order to be logged into each game at the same time. Or, you would have to log out of one before logging into the other (annoying, not practical)
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."
-•¤Lazy Bone¤•-: we had to double ghost or we had no chance
•§ITHLORD§•(surfer): artylery give no many domage on aa mobile since 3 day

Jodocus_
Intermediate Member
Lobby Username: Jodocus

Post by Jodocus_ »

>> Cross listing games or having shared chat or anything of that sort would be a huge challenge.

Cross-joining the lobbys is actually possible (i.e. you can join the chat groups, see other users online etc.). However, I don't know the behaviour on the game listing yet. I expect the games from AOC not beeing shown in EEC and vice versa. What I was going to do anyway was a shared account database. But actually cross-joining the lobbys is rather experimental at the moment (possible, though).

Ghost
Administrator
Lobby Username: [-Ts-] Ghost

Post by Ghost »

I'd assume sharing chat rooms would be the easier part since that functionality is identical in each game... the clients wouldn't really care which server provides the chat.

BUT how would you authenticate on both games without having 2 usernames? Two usernames per person constantly is a lot of bloat. Would you be able to manage multiple concurrent sessions per username? Wouldn't that pose some risks and substantially increase effort to ensure that the sessions don't collide? You'd also have to know which sessions are associated with which game for the game listing aspect of it. What about the people that simply chose to use two different usernames (one per game) in a shared lobby?

You'd also have to validate the source of the connections so you don't have trolls sharing accounts and being active in the lobby at the same time.

The design problems can't really be overlooked when so many people play both games at the same time.

Anyway, I guess I'd probably have to take a full day and sit down and look at the design to get a better idea of how it all works and what is possible, considering I could still be way off even with blind educated guesses. As much as I show interest though I'd rather not get my hands into it for personal reasons.
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."
-•¤Lazy Bone¤•-: we had to double ghost or we had no chance
•§ITHLORD§•(surfer): artylery give no many domage on aa mobile since 3 day

Jodocus_
Intermediate Member

Post by Jodocus_ »

>> BUT how would you authenticate on both games without having 2 usernames?

I look dem names up and compare them with the shared database. :)

>> Would you be able to manage multiple concurrent sessions per username?

No.

>> Wouldn't that pose some risks and substantially increase effort to ensure that the sessions don't collide?

Yes. You can only be with ONE EE-instance in the lobby. Why would you take two at the same time? If you want that (and I really don't understand why), you have to create another account.

>> You'd also have to know which sessions are associated with which game for the game listing aspect of it.

Yes, this is what I have to do. Easy.

>> What about the people that simply chose to use two different usernames (one per game) in a shared lobby?

Then those are two different accounts. I don't see a problem.

Lancelot5
Lobby Username: Lancelot5

Post by Lancelot5 »

I think when it comes to that part its all about smurfing and ruin games for others. Since i never have played in "Oldlobby" how will it be when u finished. Are u trying to stop that or will it still be like in Lobby ?

Jodocus_
Intermediate Member

Post by Jodocus_ »

Theoretically, I can prevent smurfing (just limmited amount of accounts per CD-key). But I don't think that the majority welcomes that idea.

Lancelot5
Lobby Username: Lancelot5

Post by Lancelot5 »

Jodocus_ wrote:Theoretically, I can prevent smurfing (just limmited amount of accounts per CD-key). But I don't think that the majority welcomes that idea.
I dont know if the majority like that or not. Think therefore some polls would be nice here. Here in Lobby its mostly like Mods/Admins that can look for namelist of certain players have no problem with smurfing. But for me it sucks. Cause there is nearly nothing I can do against it. One name they friendly, other name talking shit about u, next name they crash games, stack teams etc... its just stupid. I dont see advantage or game experience improvements in smurfing anyway.
It would be really nice if that would be stopped on new server. Maybe can do mix of both. Players can create as many Accounts they want but if someone is on a players ignorelist he shouldn´t be able to join that players hosted games. And when u ignore someone it wont be Account based, it will be CD-Key based so that all Accounts are ignored.
But this maybe really hard to programming and to much work. For me it would be just nice when there can be done something against that. Otherwise i dont see there that much sense in keep playing this game anymore except there is an comeback of short playtime sets like liga where u aren´t that much affected from it.

Jodocus_
Intermediate Member

Post by Jodocus_ »

>> Think therefore some polls would be nice here.

Not here, not now.

>> One name they friendly, other name talking shit about u,

Welcome to the Internet. :)

>> next name they crash games,

Get some proof, report him and his CD key is banned. No matter how many smurf account a crasher has.

>> Maybe can do mix of both. Players can create as many Accounts they want but if someone is on a players ignorelist he shouldn´t be able to join that players hosted games.

There is the "Ignore" function and the "Block" function in EE Lobby. Unfortunately, Block doesn't work yet (seems to have the same problem as friendlist).
However, I will try to do my best to enable as much as I can.

>> Otherwise i dont see there that much sense in keep playing this game anymore except there is an comeback of short playtime sets like liga where u aren´t that much affected from it.

I think you are just a little bit mad today. :)
Go out and do something else.

Sexacutioner
Nemesis

Post by Sexacutioner »

so you gonna run an auto update that randomly replaces everyones cd key since with the players that are around at the moment in all are using about 5 dif cd keys in the entire community

Jodocus_
Intermediate Member

Post by Jodocus_ »

I will distribute the CD keys via some special tool.

simple_faith
Nemesis
Lobby Username: simple_faith

Post by simple_faith »

lmao

Jodocus_
Intermediate Member

Post by Jodocus_ »

What's so funny about it? You got a better idea? I am open for any.

herik
Momma's boy
Lobby Username: herik

Post by herik »

Faith trolls all, don't take it to heart, his still human even if he is special ;)

Return to “The Basement”