The foods

For all the off-topic discussion, nonsense, spam, or whatever you want to call it. Post it all down here. WARNING: Entrance may result in drop of IQ.
Arntzen
Administrator
Lobby Username: _[eC]_Arntzen_

The foods

Post by Arntzen »

Low carb is the most healthy way to live. Discuss!
A Good Place to Start: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3884
Click to download: eC Civilization

BigRon
Lobby Username: BigRon

Re: The foods

Post by BigRon »

Depends on your work and daily lifestyle. If you have a busy and stressfull life you should raise your carbs to make sure you have enough power if not atleast cycle it like low/high carb days.

If you do sports like lifting weights (like I do) you gotta keep your carbs high or your body will burnout over the time. I went low carb for 2 months to cut down some weight and I can tell you I felt pretty weak and dizzy sometimes. It sure is healthy if you know how to do it and I can recomment it to every obese person to eat low carb and have refeed days once in a time but if you do sports low carb will weaken you.

Arntzen
Administrator

Post by Arntzen »

BigRon wrote:if you do sports low carb will weaken you.
Guess you didn't do it right then. I eat "correct" low carb food, and I've gotten more energy than what I had before. Whole point of low carb is to get your energy from the fat, not from the carbs.
Yes, many registered dietitians have argued if this is possible, but there is a lot of proof:
ferry1_343490a.jpg
ferry1_343490a.jpg (26.64 KiB) Viewed 6833 times
This fellow won gold in Vancouver in a ski sport called "Pursuit". Was 12.5 KM long, and yes, he eats low carb food.
BigRon wrote:If you have a busy and stressfull life you should raise your carbs to make sure you have enough power if not atleast cycle it like low/high carb days.
False, look above.
BigRon wrote: I can recomment it to every obese person to eat low carb
Basically low carb diet will make your fat percent go to where it should be. If you're too skinny and eat low carb, you'll gain fat percent, opposite of course if you're too fat.

Omega
Administrator
Lobby Username: [-Ts-] Ωmega

Post by Omega »

Weight loss: Data suggest greater weight loss compared to other diets for the first year, after which there is no difference.

Kidney damage: It's possible a low carb diet can cause additional stress on the kidneys, but there is no conclusive evidence at this point in time linking it to markers for kidney damage. It might be just as safe as other diets, or it might not be just as safe, more research is needed.

Cancer: Low carb diets are high in fats and proteins, and high fat / high protein diets are linked to heart disease and certain types of cancer.

Energy: There is no reliable evidence linking low carb diets to an increase in energy levels compared to any other diet. The act of dieting, the act of exercising, and the fat loss associated with dieting happen to be the reason people feel more energy, and all of those things can and do apply to all diets.

Low carb will weaken you: Not really, at least providing you're exercising regularly, getting an adequate intake of nutrients, and so on and so forth. There is however a serious disadvantage in endurance sports if you do not carb load, because you'll have a lesser store of glycogen in your muscles. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbohydrate_loading

Registered dietitians and nutritionists: Generally not worth listening to unless they have legitimate and substantive other credentials by some credentialing authority that's respectable, because depending on the country and state (or whatever analogous term a country uses), they can call themselves that with as little as ZERO education, training, and experience. Case in point, anyone who knows anything about biochemistry or human nutrition knows that you can get ATP (and GTP, which for some reason almost no one knows about) from fats, carbs, or proteins, although the exact biochemical pathways involved to get there will vary, and the "efficiency" of those pathways will also vary.

Thus far, the "best" diet based on actual evidence collected on humans would be a pescetarian diet (vegetarian, but with fish too), providing the fish consumed are primarily at a lower trophic level and not bottom feeders (that is, those low in mercury and other nasty stuff).

If you want to assume that studies on rats and mice generalize perfectly to humans, there would then also be evidence that calorie restriction diets can significantly improve your energy levels and dramatically improve your lifespan and overall health. At least, if you're a rat and/or mouse... Humans? Need more data, although there's definitely already data suggesting it will lower your risk of heart trouble.

Captain Nemo
Global Moderator
Lobby Username: >Heros<=Captain Nemo*

Post by Captain Nemo »

I never understood any diets. It's fairly simple if u consume more energy than u need you gain weight and if u consume less, you lose weight.

As for getting low carb, I cannot see how that would give more energy as fat metabolism is slower, and requires more oxygen. I see no study suggesting it's better for your body to do lipid metalism contra carb metabolism, I can only see the risk of getting cardiovascular diseases increase. Ever heard that thing about going "sugar-cold"? Not sure how that is addressed in english, but basically it's when you run out of glucose, and you have to rely on fat metabolism. It's simply not fast enough and therefore you'll quickly lose the intensity u had before.

12.5 Km seems short enough for even a fairly low storage of glykogen to be enough. In a very long endurance you'd have to consume fast carbs along the way.

Anyway there are some positive things. Not because it's low-carb but simply because you naturally avoid some unhealthy products. If you don't cover your energy needs with spaghetti and what have you, you'll eat other things that contain alot of minerals and vitamins, and especially for a norwegian some extra D-vitamin could probably give more energy.

Nevertheless the recommended percentage distribution of energy is 55-60% carb, 10-15% protein, and max 30% fat. At least in denmark it is, and it seems like good sense :) Even if you're not going low-carb theres no reason to cover your energy needs with rice, spaghetti etc which contains nothing but energy really.

Without knowing much about your diet beforehand kaz, it may just be that you generally eat more healthy food now than before and not because this food happens to be low in carbs. I don't know if you know what I mean...
bosshaft: "A warm pussy is so much better than a dick! Trust me."

Arntzen
Administrator

Post by Arntzen »

First of all, I don't look at the way I eat as a "diet" but more as a life style. If you were to ask me "what food do you eat?". I'd answer something in the lines of "proper food" or "food humans are suppose to eat".
Omega wrote:Weight loss: Data suggest greater weight loss compared to other diets for the first year, after which there is no difference.
This really just depends on how many carbs you consume. You'll go rapidly down in weight as long as you stay in ketose, being in ketose only happens if you eat very few carbs. Of cource it will start slowing down ones you reach the ideal fat percent for your body. PS: If you don't eat enough proteins, you'll loose muscle-mass as well when being in ketose.
Omega wrote:Cancer: Low carb diets are high in fats and proteins, and high fat / high protein diets are linked to heart disease and certain types of cancer.
This is just wrong, well more a myth than anything else. There is no evidence of fat and protein alone being the cause of cancer. Basically the new scientific studies show that the combination of high fat and high sugar is what's dangerous. Not fat alone. In a low carb diet, if followed right obviously, you wont be eating much sugar so there is no worries.
Omega wrote:Energy: There is no reliable evidence linking low carb diets to an increase in energy levels compared to any other diet. The act of dieting, the act of exercising, and the fat loss associated with dieting happen to be the reason people feel more energy, and all of those things can and do apply to all diets.
This is wrong. Firstly, since your insulin and sugar levels will be perfectly balanced throughout the day, you wont feel those huge waves of energy you'll get in "regular food" (much bread, pasta, fruit, rice etc etc). The reason I started testing out low carb was because of a couple of studies and a lot of people on forums for health/food said they had very good experience with low carb on people who have Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). CFS is something I have as well, and have had a great increase in energy throughout the day compared to before.
Omega wrote:Low carb will weaken you: There is however a serious disadvantage in endurance sports if you do not carb load, because you'll have a lesser store of glycogen in your muscles. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbohydrate_loading
There is a lot of disagreeing on this matter. What I've heard about this is it's just another myth that you need to store a lot of glycogen before intense training. Looking at the professional athletes who eats low carb food, who says this is just a load of crap (and proves it by doing a good race/game without filling up their glycogen storage).
Captain Nemo wrote: 12.5 Km seems short enough for even a fairly low storage of glykogen to be enough. In a very long endurance you'd have to consume fast carbs along the way.
Running 55 Km then? (Norwegian link, but I guess you'll understand most of it Nemo) http://naturalnordic.com/diet/2011/07/2 ... -lavkarbo/
Captain Nemo wrote: Nevertheless the recommended percentage distribution of energy is 55-60% carb, 10-15% protein, and max 30% fat. At least in denmark it is, and it seems like good sense :) Even if you're not going low-carb theres no reason to cover your energy needs with rice, spaghetti etc which contains nothing but energy really.
We've around the same recommended in Norway. Funny tho, that they each year go down (well at least in Norway) on how much carbs you need.
Captain Nemo wrote: Without knowing much about your diet beforehand kaz, it may just be that you generally eat more healthy food now than before and not because this food happens to be low in carbs. I don't know if you know what I mean...
Not only that, but I'm also pretty sure the placebo effect is working greatly on me too since I really believe in this kind of food.

Arntzen
Administrator

Post by Arntzen »

WHAAT?! Did I just shut both Omega and Nemo up?? (HINT HINT WINK WINK) :wink:

Ben 360
Basic Member
Lobby Username: ben 360

Post by Ben 360 »

With "carbs most healthy way to live", what does this exactly mean? Were you fat and are now eating correctly and losing weight is this the goal? Skinny and trying to gain a bit of body fat? Either skinny or fat and gaining muscle. There are 3 kind of ways living healthy, and I can't be bothered reading up there^
Btw I have a high metabolism, so I've never really looked into carbs, i can't gain weight :/, but I'm guessing low carbs means not much fat/protein/sugars, something like that, So I'm guessing your way of looking at healthy food is from the loss of weight?

eeralf_
Nemesis
Lobby Username: eeralf

Post by eeralf_ »

thats real stupid , eat what u mean, damn, watch neatherthaler have a medicen watch?, damn, we are fuck like hell, we watch at calories and all, hahahahahaha, its waste of time, ok maybe u die 3 years or 5 earlier and?, the goal is have fun , u have one life and enjoy it, with food or with drugs or any, but enjoy it

Proooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BigRon
Lobby Username: BigRon

Post by BigRon »

Ben 360 wrote:Btw I have a high metabolism, so I've never really looked into carbs, i can't gain weight :/,
you are just not eating enough m8. drink next to your daily meals 4 gallons of milk and you will gain weight lmao

Captain Nemo
Global Moderator

Post by Captain Nemo »

Well kaz u agreed a bit too much so wasnt bothered. I read the article about 55 km and it doesnt say how fast he went. U can go for ages on fat reserves just not very high intensity compared to glucose metabolism. Anyway our recommendation has been the same in all my lifetime... And yes i agree placebo effect could be huge which doesnt exactly help ur point. But it does help u. Id rather not take it away from u hehe. But i think my first post said most i wanted to say. U simply eat more healthy things now. That doesnt mean eating fruit isnt healthy tho just because it has high carb. Most high carb food however just tends to be unhealthy of some sort. Btw what kind of food are u eating btw? Some examples of a days intake? Did u calculate ur energy distrubution?

eeralf_
Nemesis
Lobby Username: eeralf

Post by eeralf_ »

u all talk about nothing, pls, its the industry that say whats u eat, damn, eat nature and all is ok, fuck diet or anything, grrrrrrrrrr

Edit: some stupids need a computer for test what good food is, lol, damn Insects

Arntzen
Administrator

Post by Arntzen »

Captain Nemo wrote:U can go for ages on fat reserves just not very high intensity compared to glucose metabolism.
I've read up on this. Apparently people on low carb needs some sort of sugar every hour in high intensity, where as high carb people need like every 20-30min.
Captain Nemo wrote:Anyway our recommendation has been the same in all my lifetime...
Hm, well not in Norway. For instance, not long ago more than 2 eggs a week was considered suicide.
Captain Nemo wrote:That doesnt mean eating fruit isnt healthy tho just because it has high carb.
Fruit is natures candy. Eating fruit gives you a lot of fructose. Which inside your stomach gets broken down to the same sugar molecules as regular sugar. Of course, it's not the same as eating pure sugar because fruit has a lot of other stuff that is good for you. But after all, I say don't eat fruit unless it's after practice/training. Or on your "eat w/e day" as candy.
Captain Nemo wrote:Btw what kind of food are u eating btw? Some examples of a days intake? Did u calculate ur energy distrubution?
Do not calculate what I get in a day, just look at the food I eat and try have it under 5g carbs each 100. I eat around 6 eggs with 2 tomatoes each day, mostly omelets. Dinner I mix between fish (salmon mostly), chicken and beef. Sometimes just minced meat (taco). I always have tons of vegetables (around 2/3 of my dinner). I only drink water/tea and I have no food in between meals. I also take Omega 3 and D vitamin. Sometimes I take low carb bread too, with much imposition? not sure if this is the right word lol. On Saturdays however I have "eat whatever I want day". Normally end up with a pizza and some coca cola. Reason I can do this is I only do it once a week, so my "long time insulin" will go down again.

Captain Nemo
Global Moderator

Post by Captain Nemo »

Kazter wrote:
Captain Nemo wrote:U can go for ages on fat reserves just not very high intensity compared to glucose metabolism.
I've read up on this. Apparently people on low carb needs some sort of sugar every hour in high intensity, where as high carb people need like every 20-30min.
Thats completely false. You can go for about 1½-2 hours (in the intensity u can do over a period for 2 hours) before u need to refill. There are probably alot of bad studies on this, and alot of other things. It's the world of diets and 90% of what u hear is probably complete bullshit.
Fruit is natures candy. Eating fruit gives you a lot of fructose. Which inside your stomach gets broken down to the same sugar molecules as regular sugar. Of course, it's not the same as eating pure sugar because fruit has a lot of other stuff that is good for you. But after all, I say don't eat fruit unless it's after practice/training. Or on your "eat w/e day" as candy.
It doesn't go along with your low carb diet, but it's still not unhealthy food seen from a scientific view. Of course u shouldn't eat 100 pieces a day, but that goes for almost any kind of food.
Any type of carb gets broken down into monosaccharides and eventually glucose. That goes for your vegetables too. You want to try not to have too high a Glycemic Index (GI). Apple for example is the number one fruit in my fridge and tho it contains alot of suger, it has a surprisingly low GI of just 38.
The GI is basically whats responsible for your long time blood sugar (HbA1c concentration), which infact hasn't got much significance unless you have diabetes.

http://www.netspiren.dk/info/Glykaemisk ... 476l1.aspx (lots of examples of GI in food. in danish)
Do not calculate what I get in a day, just look at the food I eat and try have it under 5g carbs each 100. I eat around 6 eggs with 2 tomatoes each day, mostly omelets. Dinner I mix between fish (salmon mostly), chicken and beef. Sometimes just minced meat (taco). I always have tons of vegetables (around 2/3 of my dinner). I only drink water/tea and I have no food in between meals. I also take Omega 3 and D vitamin. Sometimes I take low carb bread too, with much imposition? not sure if this is the right word lol. On Saturdays however I have "eat whatever I want day". Normally end up with a pizza and some coca cola. Reason I can do this is I only do it once a week, so my "long time insulin" will go down again.
That is low carb yes, but vegetables probably average about 80% carb energy. Most of which have 3-10 g/100g. So you do get carbs that way when u eat alot of it. Bread will contain even more carbs of course, even tho you call it "low carb" you probably refer to whole grain bread (hope this is the right word). idk what u mean with much imposition. I was able to dig up a whole-grain brown bread with just 855 kj/100g and 86% from carbs. Alot of fibres of course. You can of course get even lower in carb% but then your energi intake will just go up, as you'd be filling it up with something else which has very high fat percentage.

One of the reasons fibres are good, is that even though they give alot of "fullness feeling" they only contain 7-8 kg/g of energy. So you will get the full feeling without actually having consumed much energy. It's mostly found in vegetables and whole-grain products. Protein is what gives the greatest full-feeling (an english word for that btw?), next is carbs and finally fat. Fat however contains twice the energy, and doesn't make u feel very full. Thats why fat makes u fat fast;)
Low-carb diet also means much protein and much fat. So it'll in the end even things out I guess ;)

Ben 360
Basic Member
Lobby Username: ben 360

Post by Ben 360 »

I ain't trolling, answer my questions please

Return to “The Basement”