Installation with GOG

If you're having any technical difficulties with EE, or installing or using the lobby, make a post here and someone will try and help you out.
iHades
Forum Noob
Lobby Username: iiDobe

Installation with GOG

Post by iHades »

Hi guys,
Very new to this site, but known the EE game for a long time!
Anyhow, I have a few problems with EE in general, I bought and installed them both for $6.00 at GOG.com. I recently came across your site and saw the online 'lobby' for multiplayer games, now at this point I have installed the games correctly.

BUT, now when I launch Empire Earth the original, it crashes when starting a new game against the 'computer', which is odd. Because when I run AOC, it is going smoothly and perfectly fine even when I adjusted the compatibility settings. Odd, isn't it?

Secondly, when the original game is launched the game has automatically been patched to the latest version you guys offer at 2.0. Though, AOC is at 1.4, I believe. So, heres the point where I launch and create a new login at the lobby, and attempt to patch both games and selected the correct install directories where GOG is. (Mainly tried to patch AOC since the original was already patched, but it didn't give me an option to do it for separate games. So I just rolled with it and 'attempted' to reinstall the patches for EE to get to AOC.)

Now, two new errors appear. One, for the original game; it gives me an error which says something about an 'old file': Old file does not exist. -- Then it gives me another error about the patch for the AOC. "Unable to determine the version of Empire Earth, please reinstall the game." -- But thing is, the original game was automatically patched when I installed to 2.0. AOC, on the other hand is at 1.0 or 1.4, that patch was the idea to get it to 2.0

So I'm kind of scratching my head here, I have reinstalled, same problems persist. I am running on Windows 8, but AOC seems to run smoothly and fine. Whereas EE original, does not. Crashes and freezes when beginning a new game.

Hope to hear so I can get playing again!

Trichome Indica
Global Moderator
Lobby Username: ΤŖĪÇĦŐΜĔҗ Į ŊĎįċą җ

Re: Installation with GOG

Post by Trichome Indica »

Hello. Your problem is a common one in that the GoG.com EE game is not up gradable to this lobby's version. You may want to consider deleting the GoG.com version and installing EE complete which can be found here viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4889 Good luck.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

iHades
Forum Noob
Lobby Username: iiDobe

Post by iHades »

Thank-you, thus far I have followed given instructions though it still does not help the freezing problem.
The patches work fine now and I am ready to go for multiplayer, BUT...

Again, when Empire Earth launches it is running smoothly until I start a map. It freezes, music still plays but the game and the whole computer is froze, forcing me to shut it down and restart the desktop. I have tried all compatibility settings available and still the same result on a Windows 8 OS.

Trichome Indica
Global Moderator
Lobby Username: ΤŖĪÇĦŐΜĔҗ Į ŊĎįċą җ

Post by Trichome Indica »

I personally have no experience with Windows8 however there is a discussion here >viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5067&p=34565&hilit=windows+8#p34565 about Windows8 install. You could also try re installing or awaiting further responses from more knowledgeable sources. Good luck.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Return to “Support”