Windows7 - Screen flickering

If you're having any technical difficulties with EE, or installing or using the lobby, make a post here and someone will try and help you out.
sporaTiK
Intermediate Member

Windows7 - Screen flickering

Post by sporaTiK »

Hey I'm sure this is just a game settings correction, but I am not getting the right combination of settings apparently. Also, Im shit with computers compared to y'all but pretty sure i have a 64 bit

Problem: The screen flickers at the main menu screen (first screen) when I open AOC and also during actual game play which is really fucking annoying. The screen doesn't flicker completely off then back on... rather it is a static mess.

I saw this on another topic so these are the settings i am currently under....
Check this options in Options menu:
Graphical card: Your card name (e.g. ATI Radeon HD 5400 Series), not the "Primary display driver"
Display acceleration (or anithing similar): "Direct 3D Hardware TnL"
This two option is important. After that all working correctly.
Best regards,
Los Anthes

Thank you,

Spora

Ghost
Administrator
Lobby Username: [-Ts-] Ghost

Re: Windows7 - Screen flickering

Post by Ghost »

What have you already tried (besides what you quoted) to fix it? Also, related to that fix, what other game settings have you used? What video card do you have? Which version of the drivers do you have installed?
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."
-•¤Lazy Bone¤•-: we had to double ghost or we had no chance
•§ITHLORD§•(surfer): artylery give no many domage on aa mobile since 3 day

sporaTiK
Intermediate Member

Post by sporaTiK »

It is for sure a 64-bit operating system. has the intel i7 processor.

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4870 is the graphics card (is that a graphics card?or a driver?).

I'm not sure what you mean by driver... I don't know my computer hardware.

Additional settings I have it set on:
screen resolution- 1440x900x32 bit
graphics quality- I have the 3rd bubble selected (out of 5 possible)
Model Detail- medium
Effect Detail- medium
Then i have these boxes selected: vertical sync, shadows, clouds, battlefield ambient

I have tried a variety of setting combinations... i.e. choosing all top performance settings or all low performance settings. As well as a mix of top performance and low performance. I hope this information is what you were looking for... sorry i'm not much help on my own problem.

Appreciate the help,
Spora

Ghost
Administrator

Post by Ghost »

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4870 is your video card (the hardware itself). Video card drivers are the software that is installed on your computer to make the video card work (better).

You probably have something called Catalyst Control Center installed on your computer. This package is essentially the video card drivers for ATI cards. Newer versions of this package don't play nice with EE.
peow130 wrote:Catalyst Control Center 10.8/9 is not compatible with EE.
I'd take that another step and say that any version that is 11.x is also not compatible. I'd suggest finding a download for Catalyst 10.7, uninstalling the current version you have, and then installing that version.

sporaTiK
Intermediate Member

Post by sporaTiK »

Ok yeah I see what you're saying. I'll try downloading the older version of the drivers then if the problem persists. It's weird b/c a few times i've played there has been no problems but 90% of the time the screen goes a little crazy.

I appreciate it ghost,

Spora

sporaTiK
Intermediate Member

Post by sporaTiK »

Alright ghost I've been looking at my existing ATI drivers but don't see 10.8 or 10.9. Anyway, I'm trying to uninstall whatever drivers i do have so i can install the 10.7 driver. Here are the optional components that can be uninstalled when doing custom uninstallation: Catalyst Control Center (version 2009.1125.2309.etc), ATI Display Driver (Version 8.680.2.0000), HDMI Audio Driver (version 5.00.7000.09).

I would guess I only need to uninstall the ATI Display Driver? And then when i install version 10.7 i make the destination folder be the ATI folder? Will getting rid of my existing drivers effect anything else on my computer?

Thank you!

Spora

Ghost
Administrator

Post by Ghost »

If you play other PC games, then there's always that chance that whatever drivers you're reverting back to will not work with another game. That's just a risk you take as a PC gamer (nobody advertizes that though).

If you can find the current drivers for your laptop on the manufacturer's website then I'd uninstall everything. If you use (or think you might use) HDMI out, then only leave that installed. You'll want to uninstall both the display drivers and the control center.

simple_faith
Nemesis
Lobby Username: simple_faith

Post by simple_faith »

I don't know how different ATI and NVIDIA are but I have a GT 430, and 64bit also this was also happening to me and in-game couldn't even see civ maker and can't even see how much economy I got. But I went to NVIDIA Control Panel (which ATI should have called Catalyst Control Panel but I don't know how much different it is) and there are 3 main options

Code: Select all

Let the 3D application decide

Use the advanced 3D settings

Or choose Quality over Performance in which I chose Quality
, so then I changed it to let the application decided and it worked. No need do those stuffs about drivers and shit.

sporaTiK
Intermediate Member

Post by sporaTiK »

Ok thanks ghost. I've been trying faiths idea first with little success. Here are a few screenshots of the options i've been choosing from:

and then scrolling down in that same screen...

I've been checking all the boxes that say 'let application decide' . Any other ideas before i surrender to the uninstalling and installing of drivers?????

Thanks,

Spora

sporaTiK
Intermediate Member

Post by sporaTiK »

hmm i guess my links didn't work... let me try again. (im new at this)

sporaTiK
Intermediate Member

Post by sporaTiK »

Holy hell i got it working! I'm posting the screen with the 3 options i changed for anyone else who encounters such problem:

Thank you ghost and faith for all the help! Job well done.
Spora

simple_faith
Nemesis
Lobby Username: simple_faith

Post by simple_faith »

omaigodimawesome

Return to “Support”