Windows XP vs. Windows 7

Discuss anything here related to the large world of computers and electronics, whether you're asking for help, wanting to learn more, or just want to share some intellect with your fellow forumers.
Moo
Spam4food

Windows XP vs. Windows 7

Post by Moo »

What are your opinions on which of the 2 Operating Systems is better, to me its kind of hard to choose because XP is better but its gonna get outdated soon while 7 is new and close to XP but i think i would go with Windows 7 in the end.

peow130
Noob @ Everything

Re: Windows XP vs. Windows 7

Post by peow130 »

windows 7
SlipKnoT wrote:swords are 30 u idiot.

inola
Nemesis

Post by inola »

I like Windows 7 I can't say it's better than xp nor can I say xp is better than windows 7. Both have good features windows 7 is sexy and has dx11, Xp is light and uses shit load less ram than windows 7.

Ephialtes
Basic Member
Lobby Username: mücke

Post by Ephialtes »

Windows 7 stayed on my comp for four days. My university has a contract with microsoft which allows students to use microsoft products for free, so I gave Windows 7 a try. After four days my pc randomly crashed with various different bluescreen messages. Usually this is a typical indication of broken memory. I tried the Windows 7 integrated memory check and it identified a number of errors. I was just about to remove my RAM and send it to the retailer (the pc is just 3 month old), but then decided to boot from a live cd and try memtest86+. I let it run for some hours, absolutely no result. So I installed Debian and worked around with it: No problems at all.

I don't have the slightest clue about why and how this happened and I really don't care, since there are operating systems which just do what they're supposed to do.

After the release of SP2 Windows XP became a really good OS. Even runs on my very old 256MB RAM EE gaming PC. Yes it is slow, but hey, when I'm home for EE, I can wait some moments ;)
Sich selbst bekriegen ist der schwerste Krieg, sich selbst besiegen der schönste Sieg

inola
Nemesis

Post by inola »

memtest86+ has always failed to find anything for me even when I put a bad stick of ram into a computer for testing purposes it still found nothing.
Usually changing the OS won't cause blue screens I've seen a few upgrades do it never on a fresh formatted machine.

Ghost
Administrator
Lobby Username: [-Ts-] Ghost

Post by Ghost »

The only time I've ever gotten a blue screen on Windows 7 was when I intentionally caused it myself.
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."
-•¤Lazy Bone¤•-: we had to double ghost or we had no chance
•§ITHLORD§•(surfer): artylery give no many domage on aa mobile since 3 day

Moo
Spam4food

Post by Moo »

Ghost wrote:The only time I've ever gotten a blue screen on Windows 7 was when I intentionally caused it myself.
lol why would you do that?

peow130
Noob @ Everything

Post by peow130 »

Destroyer wrote:
Ghost wrote:The only time I've ever gotten a blue screen on Windows 7 was when I intentionally caused it myself.
lol why would you do that?
Stability.

I've never gotten a BSOD on either Windows 7 or XP, that i didnt cause myself
SlipKnoT wrote:swords are 30 u idiot.

Sexacutioner
Nemesis

Post by Sexacutioner »

ive never got them on any of my emacnines till the kid just totally fucked my shit a couple weeks somehow lol
only comps ive known to have reg crash problems are dell and hp, this is just from people i know who have them though

vista has a install image stored on the hd so you no longer need disks for installation and 7 probably does too if anyone ever runs into serious probs just have to use the f8 menu (and its not a shown menu you have to hole f8 down during start up)

inola
Nemesis

Post by inola »

Sexacutioner wrote:ive never got them on any of my emacnines
LoL emacnine
For desktops If it isn't built by my hands I don't use it I don't own a laptop cause I hate the fuckers with a passion when ever ssd becomes standard in laptops I'll by one for now Igay phone is the closest thing to laptop I have.

Sexacutioner
Nemesis

Post by Sexacutioner »

ive never payed over $400 for a computer :P
i can also get my computer running a hell of a lot better than most pc users can, but i guess if i didnt know jack about comps then buying the low end computers and just adding shit you WANT wouldnt be the way i would go

inola
Nemesis

Post by inola »

You get what you pay for.

You can build a really decent gaming comp for less than $400, my kid comp cost me $310 and almost runs every game on the market at max settings, Crysis is the only game that gave the computer a problem at max.

Show me an emachine for $350 that will do that, you won't find it because emachines run onboard graphics with the cheapest parts they can massively buy but hey to each his own.

Ephialtes
Basic Member
Lobby Username: mücke

Post by Ephialtes »

Problem with most of the low end computers is the really cheap quality of things like fans (ultraloud, boxed coolers of cpu), mainboards ("normal" customers will look for cpu and graphic power + maybe memory) and power supply.

CPU cooling + Fans + Fan controller costs ~110€ on my PC. therefore I decided to buy a quick dual core cpu instead of a quad core. Its cheaper + has 6mb lvl 2 cache ;)
Sich selbst bekriegen ist der schwerste Krieg, sich selbst besiegen der schönste Sieg

Sexacutioner
Nemesis

Post by Sexacutioner »

my comp runs around 41 in the winter and 37 in the summer as far as cooling, and i play any game id actually want to play + watch hd movies which it has no prob running and my cpu usage never goes above 10% and it only does that when im running a lot of shit lol

inola
Nemesis

Post by inola »

Sexacutioner wrote:my comp runs around 41 in the winter and 37 in the summer as far as cooling, and i play any game id actually want to play + watch hd movies which it has no prob running and my cpu usage never goes above 10% and it only does that when im running a lot of shit lol
Hook us up with some specs on that super computer :)

Return to “Technical Discussion”