EE download and patch download feedback.

Talk about anything EE related and doesn't belong in another forum. Gameplay, chit-chat, or any questions you have -- it all belongs here.
herik
Momma's boy
Lobby Username: herik

EE download and patch download feedback.

Post by herik »

Purpose of the post: feedback and critique, and hopefully something can be done about this.

Last night I helped ras download ee and the patch. It took about hour and a half, because of all the hidden steps of figuring out what anti virus programs/windows firewalls and windows defenders and windows smart screens to turn off.
He said this: "I never would of bothered figuring it out if you weren't helping me out with this. Nobody would ever waste their time trying to figure out all these hidden steps to download this game, the process is too messy, complicated and difficult. "

Obviously, what we have TODAY, Jodo and the other admins/programmers deserve many thanks. But the current process of downloading and patching requires way too much effort for somebody that just wants to check out the game. They're not going to wait a few hours/days for forum help.

Something needs to be done.

We downloaded Xootle ee complete installation. (one of his windows defenders would delete the file every time he pressed the "ee auto installer" app.)
We had to turn off a 1000 things to finally download the virus neoee patch).

Anyway, just wanted to bring the problem to the attention of the admin.

---------------------------------------------------------------

To summarise and fix the problem, are there any programmers that can re do a ee auto installer?

Downloads ee, auto cd crack, neoee patch.

WITHOUT tedious steps, turning off of virus protectors, windows defender etc etc.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Kind regards, herik

Arntzen
Administrator
Lobby Username: _[eC]_Arntzen_

Re: EE download and patch download feedback.

Post by Arntzen »

100% support. An auto-installer that doesn't get screwed over by anti-virus would be so helpful. I'm usually the guy who gets bombarded with PMs to help people out setting it up and I get the same message ras gave to you: "I'd never have bothered doing all this".

The file that gets virus-warning in the NeoEE patcher is the ee loader that allows you to have your lobby in a higher resolution. This file is not even necessary for the game to work, so it's really bad that this is what cause problems for so many players.
Not sure about the problem with Xootle's installer since I've never used it.

I think changing the NeoEE patcher so it doesn't get problems through anti-virus is priority 1.
OFC an auto-installer would be amazing, but if people use EE Unlimited you wont get any problems.

Example of an auto-installer that I think covers everything of importance:
Screenshot_1.jpg
Screenshot_1.jpg (73.62 KiB) Viewed 5975 times
The first three options should all install EEC and AOC with NeoEE patch. If possible they should all give both games admin right, run them in Windows 7 compatibility mode and at 32 game bit depth, 1024x768x32 resolution. This will prevent players from getting 90% of known issues related to EE with Windows 10.
Recommended (option 1) should include drexmod with zoom and hud DISABLED. This would make EE look like normal, but include the ability to host scenarios in the lobby and ofc you'll have the ability to manually enable the drexmod options you want after install.
Beginner friendly (option 2) should be the same as option 1 but with civilizations already added.
Specialized setup (option 3) should install EEC+AOC in a way that does not interfere with an already installed EE, for example if the user already has EE installed for GR. For example install in C:/NeoEE instead of C:/Sierra. *Not sure if this is possible or not, but I think it would be really helpful since it would make it easier to get GR players to install NeoEE.
Custom setup (option 4) lets the user customize everything: Where to install, only install eec or both, what resolution, which of drexmods features to be enabled, add/dont add eC civ etc

Anyway this is just my suggestions, if anyone is capable of making an auto-installer please let us know. It would be hugely appreciated.
A Good Place to Start: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3884
Click to download: eC Civilization

Arntzen
Administrator

Post by Arntzen »

I asked RealForce if it's possible to make a NeoEE patch that does not get virus-warning in Windows 10. He said:
"Actually it's not possible. NeoEE patch has some execution files that are executed while installing. This is detected by the Windows Defender, and it's impossible to avoid unless you buy a signature which is very expensive.
I will try to contact Microsoft and see if I can get a response."

Seems unlikely that big boy Microsoft will use any resources on this though.

drex888
Lobby Username: Drex888

Post by drex888 »

The solution proposed by Arntzen is perfect :thumbsupl: but difficult to achieve. :(
Perhaps we could start with a simple "Copy/Past" install, like drexmod's install. its a basic install, but easy, safe, and no virus/malware warnings. this can be an alternate solution, helpfull to quickly help people blocked by standard Neo setup.
:idea:
We can also include easily the EE and AOC files and even Drexmod.
yukon/drex

D55
Lobby Username: D55

Post by D55 »

how much is a signature? maybe we could start a go fund me or ask for community contributions.

Arntzen
Administrator

Post by Arntzen »

drex888 wrote:The solution proposed by Arntzen is perfect :thumbsupl: but difficult to achieve. :(
Perhaps we could start with a simple "Copy/Past" install, like drexmod's install. its a basic install, but easy, safe, and no virus/malware warnings. this can be an alternate solution, helpfull to quickly help people blocked by standard Neo setup.
:idea:
We can also include easily the EE and AOC files and even Drexmod.
yukon/drex
Are you able to make this?

herik
Momma's boy
Lobby Username: herik

Post by herik »

D55 wrote:how much is a signature? maybe we could start a go fund me or ask for community contributions.
Interested to know pricing as well, how much is expensive?

drex888
Lobby Username: Drex888

Post by drex888 »

Arntzen wrote:Are you able to make this?
Easy, just make a copy from your EE and AOC folder + quick cleaning of your privacy files, save, screen shot,.... + customize It (civs, drexmod config, images,...)
and the install is up :D

in fact, there are only 1 major problem: to make it work, Jodocus should move the "Cd Key Process" from the setup.exe to NeoEE.dll

Return to “EE General Discussion”