Smurf Detector Tool - Do we want it?

Talk about anything EE related and doesn't belong in another forum. Gameplay, chit-chat, or any questions you have -- it all belongs here.
Arntzen
Administrator
Lobby Username: _[eC]_Arntzen_

Smurf Detector Tool - Do we want it?

Post by Arntzen »

I am making this thread to start a discussion about possibly releasing a Smurf Detector Tool that will enable every player to check a player other accounts. Meaning if I were to log in with an account called "NotSmurf" and you check this account you would see something like *NotSmurf's other accounts: [Arise] Bane, _[eC]_Arntzen_ etc*

What would this mean in practice? It would mean smurfing is no longer possible, unless you're smurfing on someone too lazy to use the tool.

Is this something the EE community want?
A Good Place to Start: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3884
Click to download: eC Civilization

Reda pureskill
Forum Noob
Lobby Username: Reda pureskill | or | Avast

Re: Smurf Detector Tool - Do we want it?

Post by Reda pureskill »

i think it's an easy piece of software to make, don't you think Jodocus ? 8)

Arntzen
Administrator

Post by Arntzen »

Jodocus is already able to detect smurfs, the question is if we want everyone to be able to.

Reda pureskill
Forum Noob
Lobby Username: Reda pureskill | or | Avast

Post by Reda pureskill »

i know he can detect smurfs Lol

Black Star
Lobby Username: Die Gurke

Post by Black Star »

I dont care anymore about smurfs.....
[22:23:06] [-Ts-] Tricky: i dont even know what my name is anymore

Samuel
Lobby Username: _[eC]_SamueL_

Post by Samuel »

On the one hand, smurfing has been an integral part of the EE experience. On the other hand, it's gotten old now, and it's almost impossible to be able to smurf successfully anyway.

Omega
Administrator
Lobby Username: [-Ts-] Ωmega

Post by Omega »

We didn't implement anything like this for general users of the Save-EE Lobby because being able to smurf has been a core part of the player experience for Empire Earth. For as long as this game has been alive, there have been smurfs, and they've kept things interesting even if they may be frustrating in some instances.

With the small (and ever decreasing) size of the Empire Earth community, the real question to ask is whether or not this discourages players who want to smurf from playing. And it definitely does, at least to some small extent. Is the benefit from always knowing who you play against worth this? At our best estimation, we didn't think so back then, and we had a much larger community than currently exists.

And of course, with the very small community size, it's probably not too difficult to figure out who you might be playing against, even if they are using an unknown name. Or at least, it makes smurfing vastly less impactful than when there were hundreds of concurrent users.

Just my thoughts.

_DavE_
Advanced Member
Lobby Username: _[eC]_DavE_

Post by _DavE_ »

From a personal perspective, I wouldn't want this. I enjoy being able to log onto EE and just relax playing some games instead of logging into EE on my known account and being whispered constantly, "hey 1v1?"

Sometimes it's nice to play on an unknown name and chill out or in my case, warm up a little seeing as I can only play at the weekends, majority of the time.

Damn, Where have you been all this time Omega? Long time no see!

Aizen
Basic Member
Lobby Username: ll/Wolfy

Post by Aizen »

Smurf what makes EE more interesting, You can easily ruin others Enjoyment of winning Good players with their smurfs if you did this tool..
-NeW-: wolfy = ts anarchy
-NeW-: 0-4
--------------------------------------
"won him again 0-3"
-NeW- whispers to you: omg i ignored you u only talk bull shit fuck kiddy havent nothing need money about your parents fuck nerd son of the bitc*

herik
Momma's boy
Lobby Username: herik

Post by herik »

I wish I could just write NO. But this thread requires a little more.
As Omega has stated, it may have a small-large impact for a good player to continue playing. Obviously these days, I think it's stupid people are STILL smurfing. However I think it will definitely affect how many people continue playing on ee.
Also as Dave stated, good players, sometimes just wana chill and have fun, without been harassed, or in my opinion, judged on how they play for those off days.
Smurfing is a great way to have a new identity. Some EE players need this, either to be accepted in the ee community, or to have that opportunity to make a new, cool, interesting and mysterious name.

-herik

Warter
Lurker
Lobby Username: Warter

Post by Warter »

Dont want smurf ,make it , thx alot

Baron
Basic Member

Post by Baron »

We just tried to start a 3v3 pre game 2 times and it didnt load. I cant proove the smurf who was obs in that game fucked it up but i have kind this feeling. In my experience of the last years smurfs do more damage than they should be able to. In the last years and month of AOC, and i was one of the last p2s players and saw Aoc dying, the smurfs became more and more in number and the games got worse. I dont want to see this as well in EEC.
So that tool would be a good tool.

Arntzen
Administrator

Post by Arntzen »

What's good about letting EE stay as it is, and continue to allow people to smurf freely?
1. As Dave said, good players can take on another name and just relax.
2. Good players can make things interesting.
3. Good players can smurf and try out new strategies without making themselves look bad.
4. By smurfing you might get someone to join your game who wouldn't if they knew who you are.
5. Having the option to make as many accounts as you want means you can get a second chance if you're disliked in the community.
6. Old players who came back to EE might want to get their rust off with a smurf account before playing with their real name.

What's bad about allowing smurfs?
1. Lots of smurfs behave like assholes, because they think they can get away with it.
2. People ruin games on purpose while smurfing, something they wouldn't be doing on their main name (unless you're faith or joey).
3. Making fair teams is very difficult when you don't know the skill level of the smurf.
4. Because players can easily make a new identity this means it's not a big deal if you behave like an asshole and get disliked, because you can just make another name if that happens - Not being able to smurf would encourage the typical smurf-type player to behave better.
5. Because some players strongly dislikes playing with smurfs they'll just leave and it'll be harder for the rest of us to get a team game going.
6. Because of the reasons above a lot of players straight up kick any unknowns which of course also includes a random newcomer. - Making it very hard for a new player to learn the set.

If anyone has any more pros or cons to add to the list please share them.

Conclution:
Omega is right that the reasons to allow smurfs will encourage the players who like to smurf to play. But it's a two bladed sword since the reasons against will discourage people who don't like smurfs to play.
Smurfing is in mostly done by the so called experts. I doubt anyone of us will stop playing EE if smurfing becomes obsolete.
The question you need to ask yourself is allowing smurfs doing more harm than good for the community as a whole?

herik
Momma's boy
Lobby Username: herik

Post by herik »

Arntzen wrote:What's good about letting EE stay as it is, and continue to allow people to smurf freely?
1. As Dave said, good players can take on another name and just relax.
2. Good players can make things interesting.
3. Good players can smurf and try out new strategies without making themselves look bad.
4. By smurfing you might get someone to join your game who wouldn't if they knew who you are.
5. Having the option to make as many accounts as you want means you can get a second chance if you're disliked in the community.
6. Old players who came back to EE might want to get their rust off with a smurf account before playing with their real name.

What's bad about allowing smurfs?
1. Lots of smurfs behave like assholes, because they think they can get away with it.
2. People ruin games on purpose while smurfing, something they wouldn't be doing on their main name (unless you're faith or joey).
3. Making fair teams is very difficult when you don't know the skill level of the smurf.

4. Because players can easily make a new identity this means it's not a big deal if you behave like an asshole and get disliked, because you can just make another name if that happens - Not being able to smurf would encourage the typical smurf-type player to behave better.[
5. Because some players strongly dislikes playing with smurfs they'll just leave and it'll be harder for the rest of us to get a team game going.
/b]

All True

6. Because of the reasons above a lot of players straight up kick any unknowns which of course also includes a random newcomer. - Making it very hard for a new player to learn the set.

This point I find highly debatable. The point is true to a point. However, I speak for atleast the Pre community, since day one of Nuckin futs lobby till now we have kicked noobs, not taught unknowns how to play, and simply not given them a chance. Allowing such pre players the rights to see somebodys' smurf name will not put a stop to this.
Interesting enough, pre players may not like smurfs, but they atleast let them play, and by seeing their skills the first-third time playing, the teams are put even, even if the players don't know their true identity.
From personal experience, I wouldn't of been able to of played a pre game, if I hadn't of known some decent pre players beforehand, and had shown me the basic play style of pre. (Co Serenity). These kinds of players have left.
Though since 3 years ago, I'de say some players now have a little more lenience, I still have pre players telling me to kick players from game because they're noob.

This con will not be changed even with the enabled tool. This con relies on the ee community, and the noobs themselves. (attitude to willingly learn)

Another point that comes to mind. I believe that you wrote "Smurfing is in mostly done by the so called experts. I doubt anyone of us will stop playing EE if smurfing becomes obsolete."
You're right, they won't stop playing ee, They'll head over to a place that allows it (GR). It's sad to hear that people still play GR, even though Jodocus has done such a great job, and the ee community has been able to support him.
If we enable this tool. The good players that enjoy smurfing will have GR as an option. I can picture the attitude right now "Neo ee doesn't allow me to smurf. GR does. HUH I'll spend most of my game play at GR". This will divide the community once again.

I'll give an anology to sum this^ up.
We're Apple, GR is Samsung. We need to always be one up on the other to gain the larger amount of individuals. If we enable this tool, we would be like Apple is currently and get rid of the ear jack port. Apple would be hoping that Samsung continues to sell their batteries that literally catch fire.
The question you need to ask yourself is allowing smurfs doing more harm than good for the community as a whole?
[/quote]
A great question. If we do try it, I hope another Moorish Cav incident won't re-occur, last time many of the good players left. It truly is the RISK that Neo-ee would be taking.

lightnessking.
Nemesis

Post by lightnessking. »

if neoee is apple and gameranger is samsung, then I would go play on gameranger. :o
You cannot make another post so soon after your last.

Return to “EE General Discussion”