Where is the line drawn for using mods?

No lobby feature requests. What do you think of the website? Have ideas for community events or a new service we can provide? Let us know here. Constructive criticism only please.
aegis_
Forum Noob
Lobby Username: Aegis_

Where is the line drawn for using mods?

Post by aegis_ »

Hi everyone, I recently downloaded yukon's mod, and I'm honestly going to say it feels like I'm cheating. The zoom feature seems really overpowered vs players who aren't using it. At the start of the game I can see every single mine around me and plan my base accordingly, whereas normally I would've had to scroll around and look. And also there's a little thing on the side that basically tells you how well everyone else is doing in the game. I do want to say it's a really cool mod, but isn't this basically like cheating in a way?

Bogdan_xD
Advanced Member
Lobby Username: [FAME] Bogdan_xD

Re: Where is the line drawn for using mods?

Post by Bogdan_xD »

how is zoom cheating?..if anything, it's the first thing i wanted from this game when i switched from a low res monitor to a HD one (current one).Even now, I would like more zoom than the max that the mod has

As for the HUD with the stats for each players, it depends by the set played.For Liga, it can be exploitable, and maybe for mod/mid aswell.For others, i doubt it matters that much.

Also to note, you can play games with all the players having the mod dissabled by adding to the game you host title : " -nomod" ..this deactivates the mod for everyone that joined that game.If only the hud is a problem, you can just add " -nohud"
Streaming Empire Earth , mostly Islands F11 60 @ https://www.twitch.tv/bogdanx94

aegis_
Forum Noob
Lobby Username: Aegis_

Post by aegis_ »

Bogdan_xD wrote:how is zoom cheating?..if anything, it's the first thing i wanted from this game when i switched from a low res monitor to a HD one (current one).Even now, I would like more zoom than the max that the mod has
Because you can see way more than people who aren't using the mod. Your base can be planned out better because you see everything around you instantly at the game start. You can see more of your base being attacked, etc. It's a solid advantage over players not using the mod. I mean I like the zoom too, but it does give a good advantage over other players who don't have it.

Screenshots for comparison:
https://imgur.com/oW6AOKT
https://imgur.com/G4TItIE

You can't tell me that doesn't give you a huge advantage
Bogdan_xD wrote:
As for the HUD with the stats for each players, it depends by the set played.For Liga, it can be exploitable, and maybe for mod/mid aswell.For others, i doubt it matters that much.

Also to note, you can play games with all the players having the mod dissabled by adding to the game you host title : " -nomod" ..this deactivates the mod for everyone that joined that game.If only the hud is a problem, you can just add " -nohud"
You're not really supposed to see how well players are doing on the other team. That's part of the game.

Yeah, I get that you can do that, but it still seems somewhat unfair

Bogdan_xD
Advanced Member
Lobby Username: [FAME] Bogdan_xD

Post by Bogdan_xD »

the entire mod would be unfair, if it would be a private thing, aka, only yukon and those who he, himself would send the mod.

As the mod is public, and easy to download, it's not unfair.

If players aren't pulling the effort to get a better gameplay, then it's their problem, not the mod users.
I know plenty of pro players that are really harsh against forms of "unfair " stuff, but all of them that used the zoom, found it really usefull and good.As for HUD, opinions are splited but because you can deactivate it, they all agreed that it's ok.
Streaming Empire Earth , mostly Islands F11 60 @ https://www.twitch.tv/bogdanx94

CAV_range
Basic Member

Post by CAV_range »

@aegis_ he is island player, and noob btw ( he cries for group speed ), he only knows islands f11 60, dont argue with him you will waste your time, its impossible for him to understand the real impact of zoom out and score points/age :roll:

P-51
Epic Multiplayer Scenario Team Member
Xfire: p51p51
Lobby Username: «•FRMB•»P-51

Post by P-51 »

He is not wrong though. Unless it is incorporated into the neoEE patch so that all players have access to the zoom feature it absolutely is giving players an unfair advantage.

Return to “Comments and Suggestions”