New maps and the next patch

Information and discussion about Omega's patches for EE and EE:AoC (no longer in use or under development)

Do you care if there are new maps in the next patch?

I think there SHOULD be new maps in the next patch.
68%
I don't care one way or the other.
28%
I don't want any new maps in the next patch.
4%

Total votes: 25

X warrior411
Nemesis
Lobby Username: X Warrior411

Re: New maps and the next patch

Post by X warrior411 »

10010 1111 10 wrote:LMFAO I dont know why I saw that as scary instead of scarce :oops:

If anyone wants to check these 3 maps and give me your input, extract this zip to the random maps folder of AoC(because there is a space map). They are currently titled "Mediterranean - Alternate", "Marshland", "Planets Obscure"
How DO you make them anyway? :?

Omega
Administrator
Lobby Username: [-Ts-] Ωmega

Post by Omega »

X warrior411 wrote:How DO you make them anyway? :?
I think we've been over this a few times before... Use notepad or wordpad + your brain and reference pre-existing map files.

Ghost
Administrator
Lobby Username: [-Ts-] Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Bin, take a look at this script. I've been dicking with it for awhile now, I only have it tested for medium map 1v1 and 2v2. Obviously going to need done for other sizes and tweaking for the rest of the player amounts...

I didn't bother trying to add a real river in the middle, just didn't add any neutral areas so there's a gap in the middle. Using the shallows feature at land elevation you can guarantee connections between sides. Neutral areas did help fill the void in the middle edges of the island, but they were too unpredictable.

Also it has a custom climate/terrain set, using desert herds, custom terrains, and palm forests.
Attachments
zTropic Island.zip
(3.73 KiB) Downloaded 288 times
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."
-•¤Lazy Bone¤•-: we had to double ghost or we had no chance
•§ITHLORD§•(surfer): artylery give no many domage on aa mobile since 3 day

inola
Nemesis

Post by inola »

Other than new maps what will be different in new patch?

SlipKnoT
Nemesis

Post by SlipKnoT »

is it possible to increase pop limit??? also increased amounts of fish in the sea wud be a good addition i think

10010 1111 10
Nemesis

Post by 10010 1111 10 »

Ghost wrote:Bin, take a look at this script.
I like it. I think pushing the resources out farther is pretty cool, but I have a feeling you and I might be in the minority in that opinion.

Ghost wrote:Using the shallows feature at land elevation you can guarantee connections between sides.
Yeah I used shallows for the Isthmi map, just more of them, in combination with river widths.

Ghost wrote:did help fill the void in the middle edges of the island, but they were too unpredictable.
You mean how it pinches in the center? I like that about this map, why would you want to fill that in? If you did that it would just be a continental map.

10010 1111 10
Nemesis

Post by 10010 1111 10 »

SlipKnoT wrote:is it possible to increase pop limit??? also increased amounts of fish in the sea wud be a good addition i think
Well, Omega managed to increase pop for SP but not MP. Don't know if he's managed any progress there yet. The last time I saw Nuckin, like 2 months ago, me and him were discussing that possibility but more as a side issue to something else. Haven't heard from him since so no idea if he's come up with anything. As for more fish, that's a piece of cake, but in what map?

SlipKnoT
Nemesis

Post by SlipKnoT »

like med or conti. cause it cud be worth it generally cause fish runs out fast. and if there was an abundance of fish one might consider adding fishing to civ. i know its a long shot but maybe

Ghost
Administrator
Lobby Username: [-Ts-] Ghost

Post by Ghost »

10010 1111 10 wrote:
Ghost wrote:Bin, take a look at this script.
I like it. I think pushing the resources out farther is pretty cool, but I have a feeling you and I might be in the minority in that opinion.
I think they can definitely be moved in some more. I just used the Plains script as a template for placing resources. I only took the time to add in fish and tune the forests (note, there's not supposed to be a lot of wood, it's supposed to be a scarce resource). I was more worried about getting a proper starting position and the map to look right.

10010 1111 10 wrote:
Ghost wrote:did help fill the void in the middle edges of the island, but they were too unpredictable.
You mean how it pinches in the center? I like that about this map, why would you want to fill that in? If you did that it would just be a continental map.
I was simply referring to making it more of a circle, not entirely filling the void of water on the outside. Of course I don't want another continental map.
SlipKnoT wrote:like med or conti. cause it cud be worth it generally cause fish runs out fast. and if there was an abundance of fish one might consider adding fishing to civ. i know its a long shot but maybe
This script I just made gives you a shitload of fish. 30 "schools" of fish (13,500 food) PER PLAYER.
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."
-•¤Lazy Bone¤•-: we had to double ghost or we had no chance
•§ITHLORD§•(surfer): artylery give no many domage on aa mobile since 3 day

Omega
Administrator

Post by Omega »

inola wrote:Other than new maps what will be different in new patch?
It's honestly a bit early to say.

I have a list of ideas to try and so forth, but, most of those ideas inevitably get scrapped or altered significantly based on actually trying them myself in the game as opposed to on-paper, or in beta (closed, or open). Pretty much everything that *might* be changed has been requested by at least some players (and some by a great deal of players), so no one should be shocked to see, say, the stats of Moorish Cavalry change, since for some reason ~2/5 of the middle community thinks they are insanely overpowered (but do not use them), ~2/5 think they are absolutely terrible, and the rest either don't know they're in the game or don't care because they don't ever see them.

The next patch will have an open beta period of a week or two (and obviously, changes included in the open beta will be posted), and at that point the entire community will be able to give feedback on everything in it.

Whatever is in the open beta is likely to be close to what is in the actual patch, but obviously there will be tweaks and adjustments based on feedback, and if a majorly bad idea was included it'll be removed in the final version.

Omega
Administrator

Post by Omega »

SlipKnoT wrote:like med or conti. cause it cud be worth it generally cause fish runs out fast. and if there was an abundance of fish one might consider adding fishing to civ. i know its a long shot but maybe
I think the problem with this is that, speaking mainly of single-epoch sh games, if you're going to add fishing to your civilization you want some assurance that your fishing boats aren't just going to get raped by someone else who decided to build a few boats. Which means, you'd have to build a few boats too, which unless they have some sort of offensive utility to you similar to a land army would have, isn't something you want to do.

Especially once we consider that with farms, you have an essentially infinite (it's obviously finite, but, since you'll never deplete it it might as well be infinite) place to mine food from, that only requires you to make land-based armies to defend (which are always capable of potentially hitting another player where it hurts). Plus, with Farms, you have an in-game mechanism for increasing the gathering rate, and you can use static defense to defend them (walls, towers, aa guns).

taco
Civ Nazi
Lobby Username: taco

Post by taco »

its called 2 phophets omega ;)

10010 1111 10
Nemesis

Post by 10010 1111 10 »

10010 1111 10 wrote:
Omega wrote:I think Mediteranian-ish map ...with an island (or islands) in the center of the map
I don't think that can be done but I have an idea that I'd like to try before saying it definitely cant be done.
Well, after much tinkering I can't figure a way to get that to work consistently.

On the other hand I have managed to accomplish the reverse rather simply.

Sexacutioner
Nemesis

Post by Sexacutioner »

looks like an interesting map but also looks like your verry limited on room to build so you would probably have to play on larger maps like when you play on planets earth (4v4 on huge but its = to a large map due to edges being taken up ) only due to the amount of water on the map

peow130
Noob @ Everything

Post by peow130 »

Sexacutioner wrote:looks like an interesting map but also looks like your verry limited on room to build so you would probably have to play on larger maps like when you play on planets earth (4v4 on huge but its = to a large map due to edges being taken up ) only due to the amount of water on the map
sort of like the bug C map..
the cove one.
SlipKnoT wrote:swords are 30 u idiot.

Return to “Patches”