[NEOEE] Does everybody need to port forward?

If you're having any technical difficulties with EE, or installing or using the lobby, make a post here and someone will try and help you out.
Merutochan
Forum Noob
Lobby Username: Meruto

[NEOEE] Does everybody need to port forward?

Post by Merutochan »

Hi guys!

Me and my friends are a group of willing players who had lots of difficulties in the past to get back to playing EE.
For some time we managed to play some EE on hamachi, not without technical difficulties, but time passed and we abandoned playing for various reasons.
Some months ago me and one of my friends, though, went totally nuts finding out this forum and the NeoEE project which is keeping alive this awesome game we used to spend our time on. So basically we were excited to try the lobby and stuff, but we are finding some difficulties.
First of all, me and another guy had the Intel driver problem, which I managed to resolve with an update and my other friend forcing the pc to use the Nvidia Graphics on his pc.
Then, another friend of mine could not run EE or EE:AOC vanilla, but with the NeoEE patch it worked out fine, so I guess it's not only about the multiplayer lobby :) great job!

By the way what we are struggling now is basically playing the multiplayer game. I offered to become the host and opened up my router ports (33334-33336 both TCP and UDP) since no one of them is willing to do so (some of them are ... technically impaired or do not have access to the router usr/psw). So I thought that with me hosting the game and everyone joining in my room it would have been fine.
Turns out it... isn't. When we join the lobby I'm hosting everything is fine, I get the ping from everyone of them. But when we start the game, next to their names it appears the RIP sign and the game does not start at all.
Since everyone gets crashes otherwise, basically NeoEE is our last hope. So what I pretty much figured out is this:

Does everyone need to port forward the 33334-33336 range or is it just the host?
What could be the problem if not so?
Thanks a lot for your help guys, anyway, you helped us indirectly so many times :oops:

EDIT: Oooohh snap. Just read about the NHT. But it's only for EEC, right? So I guess it does not affect AOC...

Black Star
Lobby Username: Die Gurke

Re: [NEOEE] Does everybody need to port forward?

Post by Black Star »

1. Only the host need to open ports.
2. NeoEE uses a System which makes like 90% of the players available to host and play wihtout port forwarding.
3. If you want EE to use your openend ports u need to go into your EE folder, find the textfile HostPingRIP, open it and make sure it says "false" and not "true" ( dont forget to save ;) ). This disables the NeoEE System and activates your forwarded ports.

If you still got problems feel free to post again, EE is one mess of a game when it comes to multiplayer :)
[22:23:06] [-Ts-] Tricky: i dont even know what my name is anymore

Merutochan
Forum Noob

Post by Merutochan »

Thanks a lot for the quick answer!

For starters I think it's better to clear out the fact that we're trying to play on AOC. Sadly someone is still having problems running EEC even with NeoEE installed, but probably I could try and figure out what their problem is.

Anyways I'm testing right now with two laptops, one as host (port forwarded) and one as client.
But even disabling on both computers the true/false value, it didn't affect result.

I just made another attempt on EEC, by the way, to try and understand, but it looks like the problem is the same.

Basically in the picture you can see what happens not only on my other laptop right now but even with my friends when we try to join the game.
Attachments
Untitled.png

Black Star
Lobby Username: Die Gurke

Post by Black Star »

ah okay AOC, so first of all NeoEE host system is only for EEC. The only thing i can think of causing this issue is that your ports arent forwarded correctly. What i would do , is to find someone who has opened ports and test with him, so you know whether its your host being the problem or the players who try to join. You can contact me in Lobby as "Die Gurke".
Also maybe try to contact Jodocus, hes the one building this lobby and probably best in this stuff.
[22:23:06] [-Ts-] Tricky: i dont even know what my name is anymore

Merutochan
Forum Noob

Post by Merutochan »

You convinced me to dig in that direction and it was correct! :D
Thanks for the help! My crappy-ass router (provided by my isp) had a few bugs in providing the correct port forwarding... Right now it works! Wow... Finally... I can't wait to play!
I love how you keep supporting an old game like this which is plenty of fun for everyone who has ever played it! Thanks again!

Return to “Support”