Mod DM 3v3 Wing

Links to and discussion of Empire Earth Videos! Some great training videos are contained within.
Arntzen
Administrator
Lobby Username: _[eC]_Arntzen_

Mod DM 3v3 Wing

Post by Arntzen »

Any input/criticism is appreciated!
A Good Place to Start: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3884
Click to download: eC Civilization

Ghost
Administrator
Lobby Username: [-Ts-] Ghost

Re: Mod DM 3v3 Wing

Post by Ghost »

Should have run your cits sooner. Kidding.

You spent way too much on iron right out of the gate and it was mostly for waste.

Yes, tanks are a power unit but simply throwing them at Nemo in such small numbers is ineffective, especially when bazookas and AT guns are relatively cheap and a counter balance to what gets spent on artillery. I saw very little artillery micro and you probably had them too close since you didn't have many units providing LOS for them. You should try to keep them back towards you since it makes it harder for your opponent to hit them simply by attack-moving.

If you want to rush, you probably need to think about committing more to the bazooka rush and getting artillery there faster and in larger numbers so you can destroy his production as quick as possible. A half-assed rush/slide doesn't cut it against Nemo. You have to either base hug (doesn't mean 100% defense) and out-micro him while you expand with Ishtar, or you have to execute a perfect rush. Both are a serious challenge, but anything less and you're signing your own death warrant. I never really used to rush... mostly because I wasn't that great at it. Both Nemo and I like using Marines at the start to counter zooks, so I never bothered with any sort of zooks with him with considering my mediocre zook rush skills. AT was still a good unit against him since they can be effective in mid & late game against artillery (you can get them close with proper timing and a hero). AT's only powerful counter is Marines, which are rendered useless by towers, snipers, and artillery after the initial rush is over.

Sometimes I'd tank rush (there's a little more to it than just spamming tanks if you want to pull it off against a good player), That strategy is generally frowned upon and can really piss some people off since it can potentially ruin what would otherwise be a good match. I've had it work against many good players when I've had a favorable map, and I'd mostly do it if I was on a losing streak or I thought the teams were imbalanced. I believe Nemo has been a victim to me doing that maybe twice.

If you're not rushing, conserve your resources. Make enough units to get the job done. This will allow you to be reactive to anything your opponent throws at you and it protects you from losing spent res due to enemy FB or Bomber raids on idle units sitting in your base. I know when I make bombers, I send them at 2 things: artillery and production buildings. If you queue up a bunch of units just to have them pop out and sit at your buildings, those bombers are essentially going to get free kills. And, quite often, you'll miss that one micro against some artillery. If you have a huge mass of units, a well-placed clump of artillery shells will take them ALL out. Making fewer units at a time helps you spread them out and avoid this problem.

I know you got caught off guard a bit by Nemo going below you on the map but I still think if he had thrown everything at you he would've been able to push through you. It just seemed like he was doing fine against your offensive so he kinda blew you off so he could help out the team sooner.

Another thing too is I don't know what your civ looked like, which plays a pretty huge part depending on what your strategy is.

On a side note you probably asked for fighter help a little too late when the FBs came at you, but it shouldn't have been a determining factor.
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."
-•¤Lazy Bone¤•-: we had to double ghost or we had no chance
•§ITHLORD§•(surfer): artylery give no many domage on aa mobile since 3 day

Arntzen
Administrator

Post by Arntzen »

First off all, thanks for your comment. Much apprich :D

The strategy/civ I used is the one Selva uses. It's suppose to be all-out rush and it uses tanks to get through all the "wild" units running around like zooks and stuff in the middle, so your siege can start hammering at enemy buildings right away. It's all about the rush. At least this is what I've heard. You're not suppose to go AT with this civ. It's all about m1+arty+zooks.

The strategy when done correctly should work fine I've heard. Even Nemo saying he hates to vs this cause it's a great strategy, my problem is knowing the balance of things (how many of x unit at x time) and the general micro. Specially Arty micro.

I do think enemy air ruined some of my rush tho, and I don't think I should ask for air defence when I'm vsing Nemo lol.
Anyway bottom line is I tried full out rush; hero was too slow and arty micro was non excistent:O

Ghost
Administrator

Post by Ghost »

I wasn't necessarily suggesting AT for this strategy, but rather that it would be a better balance on your iron

But based on your description of the strategy, I would say then probably try working these things:

Balance between zooks and tanks (I'd say more zooks)
Balance between tanks and arty (I'd say more arty)
Protecting the tanks better, rather than flooding them mixed with the zooks
Microing arty

I'm not saying don't rush the tanks, just don't send them in as fodder like zooks.

Arntzen
Administrator

Post by Arntzen »

I think all gold should be spent on zooks (and some on aa's) with this strat. So definitely need more zooks ur right!

Ghost
Administrator

Post by Ghost »

And looking at it again, there were two points I noticed at 4f11 and 6f11 where your tanks were the front line taking all the beating. I also noticed you didn't really set many rally points for zooks, so try adding more so they get in front of your tanks. Make sure each barracks has a different rally point so they get spread out. If there are points that you need them before they get to the rally, a quick drag over the screen and CTRL click will make them useful with little effort

Captain Nemo
Global Moderator
Lobby Username: >Heros<=Captain Nemo*

Post by Captain Nemo »

The strategy works almost too well, with little effort needed on micro in most cases. Tanks kill stuff very fast, they're not getting hurt by any inf units, and AT kinda kills them too slowly and always end up shooting at the zooks instead. But it's extremely short-lived and very vulnerable to a single airstrike cause like ghost describes all your ress are basically out there and a single hit and everything's gone.

As for the performance of the strategy I think u did good but a few mistakes. You basically have no attention whatsoever about how your units are doing. You're basically in your own base the entire time getting TC's and what have u. I think you'd find some forward hospitals very useful, but not so forward I can kill them obviously. An earlier hero will help alot as this strategy relies solely on your tanks' (when they're gone, u're gone)good health. At the point your hero came u had almost used up all of your tanks. And tanks+hero is VERY powerful. A few more zooks might do good yeah and I agree with ghost on the siege/tank balance, a few more sieges and alot more micro on them but u already know this :) There are 100 things to do, the more one can do the better, but everybody must get priorities right in such a game cause nobody can do everything. Siege micro > TC's for early eco. Especially in a full-out rush. I think setting a different rally point for each rax may a bit too much work tbh.
bosshaft: "A warm pussy is so much better than a dick! Trust me."

Black Star
Lobby Username: Die Gurke

Post by Black Star »

maybe idiotic question but why u get 16+6 speed on tanks if their job is to clear up all the shit running around?
[22:23:06] [-Ts-] Tricky: i dont even know what my name is anymore

Omega
Administrator
Lobby Username: [-Ts-] Ωmega

Post by Omega »

Black Star wrote:maybe idiotic question but why u get 16+6 speed on tanks if their job is to clear up all the shit running around?
I prefer 16+5 speed, but speed is key. Tanks are a threat in part because of their mobility, not just because they hit hard and are difficult to kill.The ability to stick them wherever you want them to exploit a weakness in your opponent's line, or even push hard with them, is a big part of why they're good. Plus, speed is a survivability thing. Tanks that move fast do a better job of surviving in a lot of cases, with the most important being versus an airstrike (and they're still pretty vulnerable here... but have you ever seen 16+0 tanks get hit by an airstrike? It's a disaster.).

Return to “Empire Earth Videos”