tl air

Talk about strategies in here! (If you just want to post a civilization, use the Civilizations forum; if you only want to post a build order, use the Build Orders subforum)
tool
Lobby Username: (Zabijej) Tool

tl air

Post by tool »

going air in mod tl is a very easy thing to do. mod tl starts don't really matter as long as you're capable of getting an airport around 6-7:30f11ish. there's a simple formula for air that i use, i'm pretty sure most people use it but i'm not sure, it starts with the initial gold and iron. it's necessary to always get iron before gold, not just because of personal preference. if you get pocket forwarded by someone you are going to want to have iron to quickly counter their attack. gold will not do since machine guns can be expensive when a tank or two can easily halt their forward base. you build your airport with 5-7 citizens, then immediately make either an f/b (fighter/bomber known as f117) or a regular f-15 fighter. then you take those cits and get whatever mine you got last, it should always be gold. doing so keeps your minerals balanced. the formula is just airport then opposite mine and it's opposite, rinse and repeat. and upgrading air is essential. i always upgrade attack the second my first plane is done. you do not want your gold/iron to be rising, spend it on planes always.

it should be known that f/b's are upgraded: speed (twice), attack (twice), and hit points (once)
while fighters are: speed (once), attack (twice), hit points (twice).
but it's personal preference, though these upgrades seem to work best.
pocket's job is to scout the enemy wing first, since modern wings are generally too lazy to do so. it's a good idea to start with a few f/b's and then transition to fighters, but you want to mix them well so you can simultaneously help your wing overcome his enemy and be able to fend off the enemy pocket's air. always select air with shift sdsds or dfdfdf whatever it is, and crtl click to where you plan on going, since rallying will leave your air open to hostiles without defense.
following the formula there are many ways to play pocket. another part of the pocket is gathering stone, since in the old days pockets would hit pop cap very early and mindlessly feed the wing resources, constantly holding their hand. after you have 3 gold and 3 iron, your forage patch should be running dry or be gone. take them and put them on a stone mine. however, you can do this with 2 gold 2 iron instead if you know for a fact your versus a pocket who makes 20 f11 coliseum. once you have 3 gold 3 iron get the two upgrades for 15% boost for each mineral. around this time you should send a small brigade of citizens (possibly 1-3) to start building an encampment near the enemy pocket.
now it depends on the map, if you have an incredible amount of gold/iron available, you can avoid farms for awhile and play it like an oldschool airwhore. if you don't have enough gold iron, it's time to get some farms up so that you can populate them and outmine the enemy pocket. note that when you build a coliseum, everyone notices. and since pop cap is seldom used on wing and sometimes pocket, they will want it dead. the coliseum will be in constant jeopardy once its up, since the resources are usually not available to quickly amass an AA pile to protect it. i realize this is going to jump around topics and such but deal with it. when you've built an impressive selection of airports it makes sense to build AA by it to protect from other planes. but one thing most pockets neglect is to build a church. although religion in a modern game seems laughable at best, it does happen. and you do not want to watch all your airports be destroyed by a firestorm.
if you got the coliseum up before the other pockets, feel free to strengthen the pocket forward you built earlier. as the game may end up that your air becomes completely useless due to massive fighters and anti-aircraft barrages. so that forward will be important. you don't need to get very close to the pocket either since this isn't a true forward.
the middle of the map is a great place to control, you can see any coming air assaults or looming expansions. a lot of players build their airports right in their base for quick access and lush simplicity. but you can also build them further out in the middle, so that you are much closer to the enemy and thus have longer flight time. if you do go out into the middle, take 4 citizens with you, as those four are going to be building every single airport out there.
here are some strategies or tactics or something that can be useful for pocket, though i don't approve of some of them
placing an observation balloon above the enemy airports can show you when he's planning to strike, and air does not crtl click shoot balloons. since AA comes later, you will have the advantage, but if they individually target your balloon it's dead.
it never hurts to have a nuclear bomber or two in your arsenal, they cannot be speed glitched with other planes though, so unless you have speed on bombers they will be slow. although there is a way to speed them up. fightering someone's ports so they stay in the hanger is a decent tactic, but then bringing a nuke along to remove half or even more of the enemy airports is a phenomenal attack. nukes are also good at removing a player's wood cits, as they are usually clumped about one pile of wood and thus easy to be eviscerated.
this one i just despise, but i understand it's use and why people do it anyways: i am talking about of course, refuel raping, as it is so elegantly called.
this is the process of sending out f-15's after you see the enemy pocket is out of fuel, you usually do this before they start to leave, so you can head them off on their way to the airport and effectively cripple their airforce significantly. this can be an extreme annoyance, but if the potential aerial rapist is not paying attention, you can leave the enemy airspace and head back (make sure you DO NOT click your airports though, as they will go to zero fuel) with maybe 50-60 fuel, so you know they will come for you, and you can ambush the pocket and prevent a tragedy.
an easy way to help the wing and also show off your air massing is to select all f/b and assassinate the enemy wing's hero.
there's a lot of things you can do.
once both pockets have established their respective coliseums, the wings lose their importance, because if the enemy coliseum falls morale will fall and tempers will rise. i've played dozens of games where a coliseum was demolished so the team surrendered. so players will go out of their way to kill the coli, most of the time suiciding their army.
a good way to kill the other coli in pocket is to make some tank factories, create 20 or so tanks, and upgrade speed twice and attack twice. then just right click the other coliseum, and they will tread on down, surprisingly many pockets have a false sense of superiority and feel their coliseum is fine under a plethora of AA. most of the time the tank army will fall, but they can remove coliseums with ease before their honorable end.
sometimes a witless tank charge is not enough to defeat the coliseum, so now we make 4 seige factories. create 5-6 howitzer cannons and make one transport helicopter, upgrade their range and attack. put them in the helicopter and place it on the edge of the map, and have it crawl toward the enemy pocket, be extremely careful as 1-2 AA will remove this stealth attack and the pocket will be none the wiser. land near the coliseum and etc.
there's other ways but i can't recall at the moment, the most obvious is to just send all of your f/b in to attack the coliseum head on, and sometimes the simplest solution can work just fine.
some things to wrap it all up.
if you are versus a pocket who is going pure f15, just get your wing to bastardize his enemy, and use a few f/b to make sure it happens. then just toss up a forward base, they will be near pop and not have the f/b army to deal with you, unless the other pocket helps.
i don't know that's how i play pocket, maybe you found it informative, maybe it was a nonsensical mod tl rant.
bombers: speed (twice), hit points (twice), and then you can go with flight time or area damage
mhm?!?

BLaKe
Xfire: zzombiejesus
Lobby Username: VoE_SpartaN^

Re: tl air

Post by BLaKe »

Looks like a great and in-depth guide but I can't help but feel like it needs some organisation. The huge wall of text is scary. That said I will still read it :P
Formerly VoE_SpartaN^

Wizo
Advanced Member

Post by Wizo »

thank you for this detailed illustration of how to play pocket in mod tl. I really appreciated and I'm sure, others will too.
"Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof
We all must meet our moment of truth"

Elite
Advanced Member
Lobby Username: Elite

Post by Elite »

interesting

Elite
Advanced Member
Lobby Username: Elite

Post by Elite »

Also, wish the eec liga brigade would learn to play mod tl, as 4v4 mod tl is the best setting on this game hands down. (when people restrain themselves from certain european tactics like tc spamming.)

Arntzen
Administrator
Lobby Username: _[eC]_Arntzen_

Post by Arntzen »

Great post tool, thanks!

@Elite
How can we learn mod tl when you guys, the mod tl people, are hosting it 1-5 am in the morning? :shock:

Also maybe compromise to medium map size? Not gonna speak for all eec players, but large is too big and slow for my taste. Also it makes every "european" tactic that I know off useless.
A Good Place to Start: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3884
Click to download: eC Civilization

Eisregen
Lobby Username: Lycantropia

Post by Eisregen »

owww noo medium map!!!!
Medium map kill it, just rushing.... i remember liga 4v4 on large map back in the years was great!
But now all this rush kids on medium map made it boring.
xdfsddsvfdsvvadf

BigRon
Lobby Username: BigRon

Post by BigRon »

Yeah you americunts should get on earlier to have some awesome mod tls

also med map sucks for mod tl 4v4 it ruins the spirit of it

lightnessking.
Nemesis

Post by lightnessking. »

Any 4v4 should be played on medium.... Besides mod TL! Since the fast forwarding and booming it's better on large in my opinion, but all other setts (yes pre2space aswell, but you lame basterds play it on large.) should be played on medium.
You cannot make another post so soon after your last.

Eisregen
Lobby Username: Lycantropia

Post by Eisregen »

wrong.
xdfsddsvfdsvvadf

Arntzen
Administrator
Lobby Username: _[eC]_Arntzen_

Post by Arntzen »

Was just an idea, if they really wanted eec liga players to come join.
A Good Place to Start: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3884
Click to download: eC Civilization

eeralf_
Nemesis
Lobby Username: eeralf

Post by eeralf_ »

i love Medium map cuz my PC sucks, when all spend for me so i buy a new and large Map is my favorite, hahahaha, ok, iam maybe back then in tl Mod, i loved in 2002-2003

iam not sure air on pocket work, maybe, but other pocket can rush also on big map, i do it always
air is often to slow, its my thinking, anyway

Return to “Strategy”