AoC Mid Sh 1v1/2v2 Civ

Talk about strategies in here! (If you just want to post a civilization, use the Civilizations forum; if you only want to post a build order, use the Build Orders subforum)
Texas Ranger
Intermediate Member
Lobby Username: Texas Ranger

AoC Mid Sh 1v1/2v2 Civ

Post by Texas Ranger »

Hello, AoC players! This mixed boom civ has won me many games and I'd like to share it now. Enjoy!

Powers: Expansionism
Cavalry-Ranged: Attack and Cost Reduction
Citizens: Speed
Buildings, Walls, and Towers: Cost Reduction
Economy: Farming
Field Cannon: Cost Reduction
Infantry-Swords: Cost Reduction, Attack, and Speed

OK now the first few minutes of this strategy are very complicated, and you will be extremely busy preparing your economy. Here's how I start:

10 cits to wood, then pick your civ.
3 cits make a town center on iron. Make three more cits from this town center to fill up the iron mine.
2 cits -> 2 barracks -> swords.
Make 5 citizens from your capital rallied onto wood.
1 cit makes a town center on forage. Use this town center to make 5 cits and fill up the forage patch.
With the remaining four cits, put up some stone defense (3-4 towers, 2-4 homes, and wall off small gaps. Try and make him attack from as narrow an area as possible and force him to take as much tower damage as possible). If you suspect a rush, get some of your wood cits to help with the towers, and shift-click them back onto wood.
At this point you should have 54 food remaining and only a partially-filled forage patch as your food income. That changes now. After your original 10 wood cits bring back their first batch of wood, take five of those cits and put them on the most convenient hunt.
When your tower/barracks/house/wall cits are done with their jobs get a farm up and running, preferably near hunt, although that's sometimes not possible.
Start working on farm #2 almost immediately after farm #1. As you're filling it up, you should now consider researching the farming upgrade (purchased at the granary).

***You should always be spending as much as possible. A good goal would be to keep all of your resources below 100-150 to make sure that you're spending everything. You are most vulnerable in the early game so don't just save your money, you need to use it now! I like to use my spare food to rally cits onto wood, and to expand my economy I just pull cits off wood and put them wherever I need them.***

***If you don't know what your opponent is doing at this point, now is the time to find out. Go send a sword and scout.***

***Periodically use 'tab' to find any idle cits and get them to work!***

***Your first upgrade on swords should be speed. It's helpful in every scenario you will encounter early on.***

If the opponent accuses you of glitching, you're doing it right!!! :lol:

Now things start to vary based on what your opponent is doing. Here are the two most likely scenarios:

Sword Rush
This one really puts your early game to the test. Make your base compact and try to use your own buildings as mini-walls to make his swords dance around your towers, soaking up damage. It's very easy to get overwhelmed early on. Learn to micro your cits around your base because they will come under attack and they will be killed thanks to you being outnumbered and facing more powerful swordsmen. Hang in there, you're not even at the hardest part. You only have 1 iron mine, but once you get a comfortable food income from your farms, start securing a second and even a third iron mine to keep pace with his swords (this must be done quickly, around 9-10 F11). Your next goal should be getting Richard ASAP. This is the tough part where you are most vulnerable. By now your opponent has a ton of swords and possibly even a hero of his own. If that's the case and you don't have your own hero then you just lost. Once you have Richard and survive his next huge push (which will involve a ton of swords + Richard), you're in the clear. Start eating up gold mines everywhere and make a shift towards persians. While your swords soak up damage, your persians will stand back and massacre his units at a comfortable range.

CA
Against CA, you need to get fast balista. I mean really fast, like 6-7 F11. Around the same time your second farm would normally be going up, get a gold mine and a siege factory for yourself. The first balista is only 28 gold away and really turns the tide of the game. Once you get a couple balista, go harass his base. If possible, try to avoid making any vikings. Meanwhile, you should be focusing on your economy, getting more iron and gold mines along with a fast hero. It's a little simpler against ca but this does not make it easy. He will soon have a massive CA/balista blob and you need to be ready to handle that.

Questions? Comments?

Good luck!
Last edited by Texas Ranger on Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:26 pm, edited 8 times in total.

devilridermax
Intermediate Member
Lobby Username: devilrider

Re: AoC Mid Sh 1v1/2v2 Civ

Post by devilridermax »

not bad, seen you use this and it is effective!

pathfinding would hurt though :)

Omega
Administrator
Lobby Username: [-Ts-] Ωmega

Post by Omega »

Texas Ranger wrote:***If the opponent accuses you of glitching, you're doing it right!!! :lol:
Only when you build random, invisible wall plots in the back of your base for no reason, right? :P

Texas Ranger
Intermediate Member

Post by Texas Ranger »

I always build wall pieces around my base. That wasn't even the same civ anyway. I can't believe you still think I glitch(ed).... :ncool:

taco
Civ Nazi
Lobby Username: taco

Post by taco »

looks alright. however seems like it would b a sword slutters dream to vs. other then that i c how it would go well against anything else

Texas Ranger
Intermediate Member

Post by Texas Ranger »

Sword slut isn't too bad, actually, if you use walls, trees, and buildings to funnel his units. CA rush and knight boom are the hardest to deal with, but I have a CA civ designed to specifically counter these strats just incase someone feels like being annoying.

Best case scenario is if the enemy tries some sort of standard CA or sword boom/slide. This civ hard counters that.

Wizo
Advanced Member

Post by Wizo »

yea seen u playing with this civ many times. even if it looks like it could be beaten easy by a swordslut, I know, that it isn't easy. :P
"Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof
We all must meet our moment of truth"

Texas Ranger
Intermediate Member

Post by Texas Ranger »

That's right, but you have to be very prepared to lose cits and adapt accordingly.

Back when I played the game a lot (and was actually good) and the servers were online, this civ beat many powerful sword rushes from players like lion_, Krass, Assys, Goldeneye, and Seizmic.

devilridermax
Intermediate Member
Lobby Username: devilrider

Post by devilridermax »

As much as people have dissagreed with me in the past about this...
if you come back, try to play and find your old strats arn't working as good its proberly because the ee's skill level for some aspects have raised (middle sh)

most people won't agree

this is pointed for mid sh

empire2
Basic Member

Post by empire2 »

if it's about sword rushs the skill level was already at its top 2 years ago further it's just a question of how much freak-like you play
the only thing that's still not used but very effective is religion -> prophets
texas ranger had some weird but very successful tactics which allowed him to actually beat any player
Last edited by empire2 on Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Texas Ranger
Intermediate Member

Post by Texas Ranger »

empire2 wrote:if it's about sword rushs the skill level was already at it's top 2 years ago further it's just a question of how much freak-like you play
the only thing that's still not used but very effective is religion -> prophets
texas ranger had some weird but very successful tactics which allowed him to actually beat any player
I actually try to use prophets in almost every single 1v1 game I play. Most people are not prepared for it, and it ends up winning me the game. I think it was vs. 'bubeye' (whoever that is) where he went a knight/balista boom and was starting to push into my base when 2 firestorms in his base stopped his troop production and allowed me to win the game. I never understood why people don't use prophets more often. I would've lost if not for that prophet.

taco
Civ Nazi

Post by taco »

after playing u a couple of times and watching u play. the problem lies with 1. ur tower placement and 2. heavily relying on ur secondary type mine (gold), ill elaborate further.

ur tower placement is Perfect against a sword rush generally every game. however having ur tower placement like this will leave u far more vulnerable against ca(inwhich as of a few days ago u changed hp to attack only increasing the power of ca against this civ but reducing the effectiveness of sword sluts). especially when u tower patch and 1 iron. generally and u rely on ur gold mine to counter ca which the gold mine remains free to being ecoed at will. unless ur lucky enough to have it in a position in which its deep inside ur base.
the solution to this problem of widening ur tower placement. only creates another problem of makes ur base to wide to effectively stop a sword rush(which imo is more important, whivh is what ur doing). im just wondering what thoughts u would have on this little predicament. the easy answer being build ur base around both and wall off sides/flanks, but thats not always possible.

Texas Ranger
Intermediate Member

Post by Texas Ranger »

Well, I think that you're basing a lot of that from the last game we played. Normally, it's not very hard for me to get a fast (7F11) balista out, since it only requires 28 gold, but in our last game I had absolutely no gold anywhere near my base. No 'widening of my towers' would have solved that. Yes that can happen occasionally, but in 90% of games I'll have better access to at least 1 gold mine, and as you know once that first balista hits the field things really start to look up and it becomes easier to secure more mines. It may be risky if there is no gold, but in the majority of games it is not very difficult to get just one mine. And yes of course I try and wall off as much of the sides as possible whenever I'm able to.

I don't see tower placement as a problem. It is absolutely vital to have compact towers to survive a sword rush (which was also part of the reason for switching HP into attack) so there's really nothing I can do about that.

taco
Civ Nazi

Post by taco »

i no u cant really do anything about it was just "food for thought". but ur really leaving urself open for them to focus on any of the 4 main resources instead of 2 or 3. if some1 can just keep ur gold cits tapped. ur seige facs are completely useless after that 100 gold. or ur trees.. farms. even iron. keep u off any of them and ur civ is crippled horribly(as with most ppl, but it will hurt u more since early game ur civ require all of them). its really quite hard early game to protect all 4 resources. ur good, theres no doubt about that. enigma used a very similar civ and with much success as well. but imo its the mixing and lack of mili focus on a unit which is hurting ur 1v1 game.

coW_
Basic Member
Lobby Username: coW_

Post by coW_ »

sorry im literally spamming the forums now, but can some of you guys help me out?
I really want to get back in this.
Can someone get me caught up?
shoot me a few pm's if we're old friends

regards,
coW_

Return to “Strategy”