Casual Question

Talk about strategies in here! (If you just want to post a civilization, use the Civilizations forum; if you only want to post a build order, use the Build Orders subforum)
mirtisdyleris
Forum Noob
Lobby Username: mirtisdyleris

Casual Question

Post by mirtisdyleris »

Hello guys!

I'm playing this game since my childhood from time to time, so I'm not the hardcore kind of player like most of you are :D

Usually just playing casually with or against friends relaxed P2N.

My Question is regarding about Civilizations: Is the -20% Cost of Citizens worth it? I usually dont fight pre-Renaissance so I dont have a lot of Points in those units.

My current Civbuild is attached. Please critize anything u think that could be better in your eyes. Keep in mind: It's focused on casual play, not hyperfast play, I usually have about 250 Playing Speed in the Endscreen, if that matters at all. :)

Have a nice day!
Attachments
Unbenannt.png
Unbenannt.png (176.52 KiB) Viewed 17651 times

Arntzen
Administrator
Lobby Username: _[eC]_Arntzen_

Re: Casual Question

Post by Arntzen »

Hey man! Welcome :D

What civ bonuses are worth it to use depends a lot on what kind of game you're playing. You say you play P2N, but that you don't usually fight until Renaissance. Does this mean you and your buddies have set rules in your games that you're not allowed to attack early?
Also since you're using battleship attack in your civ it looks like you're playing on a map with water. Is it islands by any chance?

One setting that we play a lot online is P2N Large Islands F11 60. F11 is hotkey to see the in game time, and F11 60 is a rule that you're not allowed to attack or land on enemy islands before game time is 60 minutes.
Civilizations used in P2N F11 60 basically always have Citizen Cost Reduction, gold and iron mining in them. Because these bonuses are really helpful.
If you're playing a game similar to this then if you're gonna take something out of your civilization I'd take out Farming bonus before Citizen Cost Reduction. In Prehistoric age you only have forage and animals as a food source, because of this being able to produce more citizens from this very limited source of food will greatly boost your economy for the long hall. In Stone you also have fish as an available food source, and the Cost reduction on Citizen also count for fishing boats. This means you'll be able to afford more fishing boats as well. Farming bonus kicks in quite late, and unless you're playing on very small islands where space is a big issue, you can always add more farms when needed.
What I would add if you take out the farming bonus are military bonuses. Siege Range, Bomber Speed, Fighter Speed, Frigates Range, Galleys, Transport & Subs Range.

Anyway, hope this helps and please don't hesitate to ask if you got more questions.
A Good Place to Start: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3884
Click to download: eC Civilization

mirtisdyleris
Forum Noob

Post by mirtisdyleris »

Hey, thanks for answering :)

Uhm yea, if we play without an AI opponent we have rules set up like "No fight until 1 hour of gameplay" or like "No fight until the first guy is in the Renaissance". If an AI is in the game, we usually play with Tortured Rivers, because that way you can shield yourself and slowly build up, which is way more fun imo.

Yea you have a point, I will probably remove the farming bonus, would you suggest more unit bonuses or something like Hitpoints for Walls for a no-water-game? In a Tortured-Rivers-Game I will add what you said above :)

Arntzen
Administrator

Post by Arntzen »

mirtisdyleris wrote:would you suggest more unit bonuses or something like Hitpoints for Walls for a no-water-game?
Building HP bonus from civilization is very expensive for what it offers and not something I would suggest, pretty much ever (there are some niche exceptions).
Lets take a wall in Renaissance. Without any bonuses on it it'll have 3000 HP. With HP bonus in civ you get 4500 HP. What I would suggest instead is to aim for building the Ishtar wonder which give's your walls an upgrade from 3000 to 9000 hp, or 4500 with Building HP in civ to 10500 HP.
Also when you're playing a game where you advance in epochs you should also remember to get the building hp boost technologies from University:
"Pulley" +50% more HP on buildings, available in Bronze Age
"Strengthened Concrete" +33% more HP on buildings, available in Imperial Age
"Building Codes" +25% more HP on buildings, available in Modern Ages

Military unit bonuses from civilizations are much more impactful and is what I would prioritize over Building HP.
Siege Range is probably the most cost efficient (only 2 points) bonus you can get from the civilization builder.

mirtisdyleris
Forum Noob

Post by mirtisdyleris »

Hey! :)

I know about the Ishtar wonder and the university upgrades, but thanks for suggesting to cut it out, I did :)

I tried to make 4 civs depending on what I play. With P2I I mean prehistoric to industrial / imperial. In the water civs i used Tower Range over Attack, because I think thats more useful with water and especially the Tortured Rivers Map :)

If you wonder why I only put Cyborgs Improvements in the water P2N civ: If im way ahead I just like to build massive amounts of Hyperions and bumrush the opponent :D (Because they can go through water, its way easier than using transport ships)

Im open to any criticism, but keep in mind: They are built around what units I typically use, but please give suggestions if you have any :)

<3
Attachments
AEIOU - water P2N.civ
(61 Bytes) Downloaded 527 times
AEIOU - water P2I.civ
(61 Bytes) Downloaded 509 times
AEIOU - nowater P2N.civ
(61 Bytes) Downloaded 512 times
AEIOU - nowater P2I.civ
(61 Bytes) Downloaded 501 times

Arntzen
Administrator

Post by Arntzen »

So I took a look at your civilizations and they seem alright. I would highly recommend siege range, as I've already done:
Arntzen wrote: What I would add if you take out the farming bonus are military bonuses. Siege Range, Bomber Speed, Fighter Speed, Frigates Range, Galleys, Transport & Subs Range.
Arntzen wrote: Siege Range is probably the most cost efficient (only 2 points) bonus you can get from the civilization builder.
Being able to have Bombard and Artillery in the back and shoot down most of the enemy before they even reach your army/base is highly advantageous.

Same thing goes for Infantry - Ranged, Subs and Ships. Out-ranging your opponent allows you to fire before he fires at you. Specially the computer sends few units constantly, instead of 1 big army so with more range you could fend off a lot of units without even losing a single one yourself.

mirtisdyleris
Forum Noob

Post by mirtisdyleris »

Oh okay, thanks for the advice, I didnt see the advantage in range too much, but i will change it probably and post them here again :)

<3

Return to “Strategy”