Noob question?

Learn civs or post your own!

Moderator: taco

Arntzen
Administrator
Lobby Username: _[eC]_Arntzen_

Noob question?

Post by Arntzen »

What exactly is the "Mountain Combat Bonus"?
I know the guy on the mountain gets better range and also owns the battle head to head, but why? Is it attack boost or hp boost or both? And do someone know exactly what the boost is?
A Good Place to Start: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3884
Click to download: eC Civilization

Captain Nemo
Global Moderator
Lobby Username: >Heros<=Captain Nemo*

Re: Noob question?

Post by Captain Nemo »

I ran some tests with zeus long ago cause I wanted to add it to my grenwar civ, but we did several tests and found absolutely no point of having it. It was exactly the same as not having it from a battle point of view, whether it was hill gren vs ground gren, hill vs hill or w/e the situation. If anyone ran succesful tests I'd love to hear about it
bosshaft: "A warm pussy is so much better than a dick! Trust me."

_thor
Lobby Username: pM_Thor

Post by _thor »

I too had run some loose tests back in the day with several people. It seems to have 'helped' in some situations, enough to warrant me choosing a CA mountain bonus civ if I saw the map was mountainous and it wasn't a 4v4 (thus pop cap could be swapped for it). don't know for sure though
pM - Legacy
{Sauerkraut>}I love you: boom or rush this is the uesatinoin , i love shakespearei

Ghost
Administrator
Lobby Username: [-Ts-] Ghost

Post by Ghost »

One of my gren war civs has it and it helped enough that I used it regularly because it provided that much of an edge in 2v2 and 1v1. I remember seeing the exact numbers somewhere but being on a hill gives extra range, damage, and damage resistance. The civ bonus is an additional modifier that improves these effects. If you say it doesn't help then you haven't used it enough.
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."
-•¤Lazy Bone¤•-: we had to double ghost or we had no chance
•§ITHLORD§•(surfer): artylery give no many domage on aa mobile since 3 day

P-51
Epic Multiplayer Scenario Team Member
Xfire: p51p51
Lobby Username: «•FRMB•»P-51

Post by P-51 »

This actually isn't a noob question, its a mystery that I can't seem to find anywhere. What exactly is the mountain bonus? And what is the percentage of its bonus? Running tests won't prove anything, in some file somewhere there has to be a modifier stating the exact bonus given but nobody seems to know where it is.

Captain Nemo
Global Moderator

Post by Captain Nemo »

Yeah ghost so u'd think but The tests I ran with zeus (we did them quite a few times) showed no improvement with MCB to the hill advantage u already had. Was a big surprise for me I had used it in many of my civs. Maybe I should try to run some tests again just to be 100% sure.

lightnessking.
Nemesis

Post by lightnessking. »

I'll test it this evening :- ).
scroll down to see how useless this was lol..
A little note for future results:

Unit: grenadier with MCB
Attack: 44
Attack dealt to gren w/o MCB: (per hit.) 55
Hitpoints: 390
Hitpoints lost to gren w/o MCB: (per hit.) 28
Hillheight will be 6.

Unit: grenadier without MCB
Attack: 44
Attack dealt to gren w/ MCB (per hit.) 28
Hitpoints: 390
Hitpoints lost to gren w/ MCB (per hit.) 55
Hillheight will be 6.

(player with MCB on higher hill.)
If the hillheight difference is 1, then there are no changes. Tho when the hillheight difference is 4. Then the attack dealt will remain the SAME, the damage taken is 23 instead of 28.

(player with MCB on lower hill.)
When the hillheight difference is 4 (the player with MCB is on a hillheightlvl2, without MCB is on lvl6)
Then: Attack dealt by MCB player = 44 damage taken = still 28...

When the player WITH MCB is on the surface ( hillheightlvl0 ). WHILE the player WITHOUT MCB is on a hill ( hillheightlvl6 ). Then the grenadier with MCB will deal 44 damage to the grenadier on the hill, while the grenadier ON the hill only deals 42 damage back to the grenadier on the surface.

If both grenadiers are on the surface ( hillheightlvl0 ). The results are are the same as on a hill ( hillheightlvl6 ).

So basicly even without hills, mountain combat bonus still helps.

This has been tested in scenario editor, need someone to test in multiplayer :').
edit: this test is done in scen editor thus vs an easy computer player. I will redo the test tomorrow vs a medium computer (this should be equal as playing vs a normal player.)
You cannot make another post so soon after your last.

P-51

Post by P-51 »

Tests aren't going to prove anything though until we know exactly what is happening, "mountain combat bonus" is extremely vague. Is there an attrition modifier placed on the enemy? Does it increase your own attack by a percentage? Does it decrease your own damage taken by a percentage? Ghost or Omega...help us out here p10x.

lightnessking.
Nemesis

Post by lightnessking. »

P-51 wrote:Tests aren't going to prove anything though until we know exactly what is happening, "mountain combat bonus" is extremely vague. Is there an attrition modifier placed on the enemy? Does it increase your own attack by a percentage? Does it decrease your own damage taken by a percentage? Ghost or Omega...help us out here p10x.
That's what i'm going to find out right now... ;-)

P-51

Post by P-51 »

That would be nice but there's no way to get definite stats just form using units in the game is there? I guess in theory its possible but would be extremely difficult. It would be nice if the information were in one of the directories of the EE folder.

Omega
Administrator
Lobby Username: [-Ts-] Ωmega

Post by Omega »

P-51 wrote:That would be nice but there's no way to get definite stats just form using units in the game is there?
Of course there is! Run a rigorous series of tests, controlling for every variable at a time (save one variable), and record the data (both input data and result data).

For example, run multiple gren vs gren tests, versus a medium computer using the scenario editor. Ensure one player has mountain combat bonus, and the other does not. Make sure the grens are identical, et cetera.

At 5 places on the map, set up a null-elevation test. A single 0 elevation gren with MCB vs another 0 elevation gren without MCB.

At 5 places on the map, set up version 1 of a 5 elevation test... 5 elevation gren with MCB vs 5 elevation gren w/o MCB.

At 5 places on the map, set up version 2 of a 5 elevation test... 5 elevation gren with MCB vs 0 elevation gren without MCB...

At 5 places set up version 3 of a 5 elevation test... 5 elevation gren without MCB vs 0 elevation gren with MCB

Et cetera for other elevations... You'd also want to do tests like at 10 vs 5 elevation, and 20 vs 5 elevation, et cetera blah blah blah just to make sure you can work out the relationship properly.

Obviously, the outlined above series of tests could only give you information about two things:
1) Does mountain combat bonus alter how much damage is received by units who have it? Under what conditions? And of course, if the answer is yes you can determine the exact relationship based on data (make sure to account for what unit(s) fired first).

2) Does mountain combat bonus alter how much damage is dealt by units who have it? Under what conditions? And, the exact relationship if the answer is yes...

It's like science, except instead of figuring out things about the natural world, you're figuring out things about Empire Earth.

Determining if there's a change in the range in the unit is a similar process.

Arntzen
Administrator
Lobby Username: _[eC]_Arntzen_

Post by Arntzen »

lightnessking wrote: When the player WITH MCB is on the surface ( hillheightlvl0 ). WHILE the player WITHOUT MCB is on a hill ( hillheightlvl6 ). Then the grenadier with MCB will deal 44 damage to the grenadier on the hill, while the grenadier ON the hill only deals 42 damage back to the grenadier on the surface.
Wow cool!
Also really like how you guys are taking my question and start testing to find answer.
A Good Place to Start: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3884
Click to download: eC Civilization

lightnessking.
Nemesis

Post by lightnessking. »

Kazter wrote:
lightnessking wrote: When the player WITH MCB is on the surface ( hillheightlvl0 ). WHILE the player WITHOUT MCB is on a hill ( hillheightlvl6 ). Then the grenadier with MCB will deal 44 damage to the grenadier on the hill, while the grenadier ON the hill only deals 42 damage back to the grenadier on the surface.
Wow cool!
Also really like how you guys are taking my question and start testing to find answer.
Yea this is vs an easy computer : [, i will test it this evening again vs medium computer.

Captain Nemo
Global Moderator

Post by Captain Nemo »

lightnessking wrote:
Kazter wrote:
Wow cool!
Yea this is vs an easy computer : [, i will test it this evening again vs medium computer.
I am, lets say 99% possitive a MCB gren wont beat a non MCB gren if the non MCB gren is on a hill. I think the easy comp test has messed it up.

lightnessking.
Nemesis

Post by lightnessking. »

yea nemo im going to do another test this evening. :)

Return to “Civilizations”