Regions of civilizations

Learn civs or post your own!

Moderator: taco

Nevar
Forum Noob

Regions of civilizations

Post by Nevar »

I had this idea a few years ago. You know how in Age of Empires 2 civilizations are divided into several categories, each of them representing a different part of the world and a different style of architecture? It doesn't really affect the gameplay, but it does add a lot to the historical accuracy and makes the game more aesthetic, doesn't it?

Well, with EE, we could go one significant step further, and have the regions of civilizations differ in the looks of their units, also! For one, there already are a lot of unused units in the scenario editor that basically are just in-game units, only with a different name, voice, and graphics. My idea is that we could have 3 regions of civilizations:
- European/Western (possibly divide those even further; such as: western Europe and America/mid-eastern Europe)
- the Middle East
- the Far East

So, for instance, the Far Eastern civilizations would have the samurai instead of the swordsman; the viking could be made into a ninja (makes sense, doesn't it?), their citizens would have Asiatic physique etc. Of course, the civ bonuses would take care of the difference in attributes of the units. I know there are (or, at least, there used to be) EE playing people who excel at creating textures for units. I'm not one of them, for the record. But, perhaps, one of them is reading it? Please tell me, is this feasible? And is this even a good idea (I think it is)?

taco
Civ Nazi
Lobby Username: taco

Re: Regions of civilizations

Post by taco »

decent idea. is it possible to impliment it? no. it would require several different yet similar patches. this alone would not only annoy half of the community of ee. but would b a major time waster for omega since he works alone on the patches.

personally i c where ur coming from and honestly wouldnt mind those slight changes in stats and skins of certain units, to suit different parts of the world. and would b a great twist. and a good way 2 mix up a sett which has been played years on end. however all this being said we just dont have the community in which omega ghost and bin to even begin to take on this project.

Nevar
Forum Noob

Post by Nevar »

wouldnt mind those slight changes in stats and skins of certain units
No: NO changes in stats! That is, unless they are introduced through civ bonuses, you see? So a samurai would have the same basic stats as the swordsman, which he actually has in the scenario editor. I think it would also be a good idea to make medieval Japan and China civs, as well.

Anyway, let me give out a few ideas in case somebody considers this thing seriously (which I doubt):
- Arab (Middle East) nations could ride camels instead of horses
- Far East civs would have the Ashigaru unit from the scen. editor for the arquebus
- similarily, Chinese spearmen instead of Phalanx
etc.

We could also make civs from different regions have different heroes and wonders, as well.

Ghost
Administrator
Lobby Username: [-Ts-] Ghost

Post by Ghost »

This would be a huge mod and I don't really think it would be possible to implement different regions since civilizations in the game are strictly bonuses and nothing else. The only useful part is if you created a campaign and mod that takes place in say the Middle East or Far East and then modified all units to make it look real.
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."
-•¤Lazy Bone¤•-: we had to double ghost or we had no chance
•§ITHLORD§•(surfer): artylery give no many domage on aa mobile since 3 day

Nevar
Forum Noob

Post by Nevar »

The only useful part is if you created a campaign and mod that takes place in say the Middle East or Far East and then modified all units to make it look real.
Or maybe a scen (similar to Diplo's World Map in general concept) where you can choose the region of your civilization before the game starts (or the host does it for you, by choosing some pre-set assignment of regions to players)?

Ghost
Administrator
Lobby Username: [-Ts-] Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Because the changes are a mod for the game, you would have to apply it before you even start Empire Earth. The types of things you speak of simply aren't possible with the game we have now. No offense but you're dreaming a little too much.
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."
-•¤Lazy Bone¤•-: we had to double ghost or we had no chance
•§ITHLORD§•(surfer): artylery give no many domage on aa mobile since 3 day

Return to “Civilizations”