Lobby is now open source

Staff will post any new announcements in this forum, which can be discussed by other users.
Ghost
Administrator
Lobby Username: [-Ts-] Ghost

Lobby is now open source

Post by Ghost »

So after thinking about it for some time and running it past the moderators awhile back (yes you guys, it took me this long to actually get around to it), I decided to open source the lobby (GitHub).

I initially was going to have you all vote whether or not to do it in a lobby poll, but this makes no sense. As a community, I think we should all have the same rights to improve the lobby we use. To leave all development to me, when I simply might not even be the best guy for the job, is unfair to everyone else. This is especially true now that I barely do updates anymore.

You will come to find that the code is just about as shitty as Nuckin Futs left it. I've done a little bit of clean up and added some hack jobs, but most of the changes were to improve the visuals in the client and add all the bells and whistles for features you've received since then (i.e. NOT to refactor everything). This program is very, very far from perfect. In fact, I'd say it's awful for the most part.

Why did it take so long? I simply thought the risk wasn't worth the reward. I think that's definitely changed a lot recently and I'm willing to place some trust in the community, both in old and new users.

How will everything work going forward? Should anyone choose to make changes, they can submit the changes to me through a GitHub pull request. I will review them, test them if necessary, and compile and release the changes.

Want to make changes? Well, I won't be explaining how to use GitHub, Git, Visual Studio, or even how to run debug versions of the lobby client/server. If you're qualified to make changes, this should all be very easy to learn without me holding your hand. Tip for debug: check for flags in the global classes, turn off update checker by commenting it out in FormLogin.vb, blank server database included in Misc folder. Oh, and I won't be providing support for any custom versions that start popping up. On the other hand I will attempt to support anything that is in my tree.

Where can you find the code? Here: https://github.com/save-ee/save-ee-lobby/

I hope that everyone can come together and better focus our efforts on what is better for the community while still keeping a competitive spirit. I'll do my best to answer any questions you have.

I'd also like to thank everyone that has donated to keep the server running. We're doing alright as of now and I'll continue to run the server as long as it makes sense to financially.
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."
-•¤Lazy Bone¤•-: we had to double ghost or we had no chance
•§ITHLORD§•(surfer): artylery give no many domage on aa mobile since 3 day

simple_faith
Nemesis
Lobby Username: simple_faith

Re: Lobby is now open source

Post by simple_faith »

hells yea now i can hacks da lobby, thanks m8

Ghost
Administrator
Lobby Username: [-Ts-] Ghost