Possibly dropping the shoutbox

Staff will post any new announcements in this forum, which can be discussed by other users.
Ghost
Administrator
Lobby Username: [-Ts-] Ghost

Possibly dropping the shoutbox

Post by Ghost »

Update:
Shoutbox dropped.

Ok, so while I've been finishing up development of the new website template and portal, I was planning on reinstalling the other small misc. mods on a fresh copy of phpBB3.

The shoutbox we currently have was a pain in the ass to get set up, and was modified quite a bit -- to be honest I don't really remember what the hell I did to it. I'm starting to think that keeping the shoutbox is more work than its worth, since all that happens in there is...
  • a) Stuff that already happens in The Basement (retardation, flaming)
    b) Us calling each other gay and/or noob
    c) People asking for support (this should not happen there)
    d) People thinking that we do real chat/IP exchanging there (we obviously don't)
    e) People bitching about the server being down (if the server goes down, only 2 people can fix it, and we can only be at our computers so many hours a day, and if we are at a computer we have plenty of people to let us know it needs fixed)
Personally, I think the negatives I just listed are far greater than any positives we get out of it.

I know it might be "cool" to have a shoutbox, but this is a discussion forum, not a playground. We already have a place for people to actively chat (... the lobby, duh), so I don't see the true purpose of the shoutbox.

This is NOT a vote. I want some valid input on this, and if you want the shoutbox to stay, you'll need to try to legitimately convince me to keep it. I won't think twice about deleting piss-poor comments.
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."
-•¤Lazy Bone¤•-: we had to double ghost or we had no chance
•§ITHLORD§•(surfer): artylery give no many domage on aa mobile since 3 day

inola
Nemesis

Re: Possibly dropping the shoutbox

Post by inola »

I don't care either way.

SlipKnoT
Nemesis

Post by SlipKnoT »

get rid, last time i saw it used was a "server down" time. then same comments were there for days later.

Moo
Spam4food

Post by Moo »

I say drop it we really don't need it anyway. I do think we should have some in bold letters that says "If your having a problem with the lobby click here But the shoutbox is pretty useless just get rid of it.
Last edited by Moo on Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

taco
Civ Nazi
Lobby Username: taco

Post by taco »

drop it, its only encouraging me to randomly say "servers down omg fml"

Return to “Announcements”