Programming languages of digital circuits.

Discuss anything here related to the large world of computers and electronics, whether you're asking for help, wanting to learn more, or just want to share some intellect with your fellow forumers.
MacroMicroMonster
Intermediate Member
Lobby Username: MacroMicroMonster

Programming languages of digital circuits.

Post by MacroMicroMonster »

Anyone have experience in VHDL or Xilinix ?

Ghost
Administrator
Lobby Username: [-Ts-] Ghost

Re: Programming languages of digital circuits.

Post by Ghost »

Yes. VHDL and Verilog are incredibly easy to learn. Based on your topic title and body, you've implied that Xilinx is a language, which it is not. Xilinx is a technology company, and Xilinx ISE is a very powerful design and synthesis tool. It is very straight-forward, but can be overwhelming for a new user. If it isn't, then you aren't using the tool to its full potential.

If you need to learn any of this for a class, then you have a very poor strategy for finding help. I would seek help from your peers, a TA, or the professor. If you need to know this for a job, then you're looking at the wrong kind of job. If you want to learn VHDL as a hobby, I suggest you buy this book http://www.amazon.com/VHDL-Starters-Gui ... 131457357/ and/or this book http://www.amazon.com/Digital-System-De ... 13039985X/ . If you're looking for someone to do something related to VHDL, for you or for someone else, with or without compensation, you're looking in the wrong place.

Digital circuit design has a very steep learning curve and it's a highly professional field with not a large job market. Take Xilinx for example, the leader in its field, is a company that only hires about 50 people per year. Those positions are mostly back-filling or for acquiring the best, most experienced talent. The Save-EE forums are not a good place to discuss VHDL and your topic looks like a bot started it.
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."
-•¤Lazy Bone¤•-: we had to double ghost or we had no chance
•§ITHLORD§•(surfer): artylery give no many domage on aa mobile since 3 day

MacroMicroMonster
Intermediate Member

I know Xilinix isnt a langauge. And I gues the title implied it was. I was just wondering if anyone else knew them. How do you know them? You a comp sic cat?

Ghost
Administrator

Post by Ghost »

No. Computer science's subject matter only briefly touches on digital design. I was a computer engineering major and I took several advanced digital design courses. One of my professors wanted me to do grad school and be a research assistant for him. I interviewed with a few companies for a design job as well but ultimately took a job in software because I was impressed with the work environment and the campus, which was in North Carolina.

MacroMicroMonster
Intermediate Member

Cool I'm an electrical Engineering major and we use VHDL and xinlinix in my digital logic class. It's a basic class about gates. I'm sure you know lol. My main point of my question to was getting at how marketable those skills would be. From you said its minimal. I just thought the lab was fun and pretty easy. I'm still debating between comp Ee an Ee. I'm learning towards Ee though.

MacroMicroMonster
Intermediate Member

The reason I asked about comp sci is because the majority of the kids in my class are comp sci kids. We just had our first exam and did pretty well while half the class failed lol.

Ghost
Administrator

Post by Ghost »

The skills are marketable but only if you take a number of classes on the topic, like focusing your major's electives to the topic. You're at an intro level course and you'll need to know it for other classes, but taking only a few classes won't be worth much on a resume.

Return to “Technical Discussion”