Building a Computer

Discuss anything here related to the large world of computers and electronics, whether you're asking for help, wanting to learn more, or just want to share some intellect with your fellow forumers.
Moo
Spam4food

Building a Computer

Post by Moo »

Well i expect Nola to know most of the stuff im ssaying, I cant seem to decide on which Motherboard is should get, there is 1156 and 1377 each one goes to the Intel i7 but the 1377 goes with the 920 and the 1156 860 what do you guys (Nola) think?

inola
Nemesis

Re: Building a Computer

Post by inola »

Destroyer wrote:Well i expect Nola to know most of the stuff im ssaying, I cant seem to decide on which Motherboard is should get, there is 1156 and 1377 each one goes to the Intel i7 but the 1377 goes with the 920 and the 1156 860 what do you guys (Nola) think?
Depends on how much your looking to spend the 1366 is i7/Xeon only the 1156 is i7/i5/i3/Xeon. I would probably go with the 1156 because you save about $100 on by buying a i5 which would be no noticeable difference from i7 to i5 and 1156 motherboards are cheaper.

Post your motherboard brands and model numbers that you might buy.

Moo
Spam4food

Post by Moo »

Well for the Proccesors its either
920 http://microcenter.com/single_product_r ... id=0302727
860 http://microcenter.com/single_product_r ... id=0317378
As for the Motherboards theres too many to choose from, but its going to be 200 - 250
But if it is going to be a 1156 socket then maybe something like these
http://microcenter.com/single_product_r ... id=0316808 or
http://microcenter.com/single_product_r ... id=0316808
Im buying from microcenter since i hate waiting for shipping plus everything is cheaper in feburary The point is The picture of the Pc is
i7, 4GB DDR3, 1TB SATA Windows 7 Ultimate (So i can expand the ram if i ever need to) And I will start out with a single Graphics card but with the intention of having 2 or 3 in the future, Im will Overclock a bit make the Proccesor 3.0Ghz~ As for the Case Ill buy a Full Tower if needed like http://microcenter.com/single_product_r ... =0293547if not ill get a regular Mid Tower For Power Supply ill get atleast 650 or 700 watts because of the Video cards

inola
Nemesis

Post by inola »

Asus is shit 8 out of 10 asus mobos that I've owned died on me within a year and sending them back is one fuckin slow annoying process. I also bought a asus 4870 with there custom fan that died on me 4 times in the last 2 years so I stop sending it back and put my own custom fan on that I pulled off a intel cpu :)

I gave up on asus and started buying Gigabyte, XFX and EVGA motherboards and I haven't had one die yet. As for video I wouldn't use more than one video card that's a mistake I fell into once a 15% increase for double the cost isn't worth it. If you really want more than one gpu in your computer get a dual gpu video card.

Cases really don't matter unless you want to show off your computer to a few friends and family members which in my option isn't worth the waste of money. I myself buy the cheapest cases I can find my current case cost $40 and came with a 420 watt power supply that I thought would die the first 6 months and it still alive running an i7 cpu, 4gb ram, three one terabyte hard drives and a 4870 video card. O.O

Moo
Spam4food

Post by Moo »

:P Well ill need the Full tower incase of overclocking to another GHz but i wont need it if its going to be .34GHz, as for Video Cards Im just gonna get Duo and not Triple, Ill get a EVGA GigaByte since i dont think micro center has any XFX, All i need for memory is 1TB since i dont like music and i dont Backup any movies, but i will back up like 80 games at 4.7 GB each, Power Supply for 2 Video card ill go with 700 Watts just in case cooling wont much of a problem ill just put a couple fans here and there but the Full Tower looks like Pwnage :twisted: I wont need any more then 4GB of DDR3 Ram but if i do ill jump it another 4GB hehe now i can play Empire Earth on FULL Settings YES!

peow130
Noob @ Everything

Post by peow130 »

:/
overkill for a first pc.
You dont need a full size case for overclocking, thats just stupid, actually.

EVGA Gigabyte?
Do you mean an EVGA OR a Gigabyte?

you don't need 2 video cards, like said before, the benefits do not outweigh the cost.
15% increase at 200% cost, lol.
if you're going over 4GB you need 64bit windows.

My opinion: Research more, and listen to people.
SlipKnoT wrote:swords are 30 u idiot.

inola
Nemesis

Post by inola »

peow130 wrote::/
overkill for a first pc.
You dont need a full size case for overclocking, thats just stupid, actually.
if you're going over 4GB you need 64bit windows.
Agree.

You really don't need to overclock an i5 or i7 you won't notice any difference in performance. If I were you I would build an i5/i7 with an ati 5850, 5870 or 5970 and 4gb of ram running on windows 7 64bit.

You can donate the money you want to waste instead :)

Ghost
Administrator
Lobby Username: [-Ts-] Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Destroyer wrote:cooling wont much of a problem ill just put a couple fans here and there but the Full Tower looks like Pwnage :twisted:
There's no reason to get a full tower unless you plan on loading it with tons of hard drives or doing some extreme customization. They're too bulky. Just get a simple, slick mid-tower.

Cooling really isn't a problem at all. You want to install fans so that air comes in the front and blows out the back. Really all you need is for example a 120mm in the back and two 80mm's in the front or vice versa. If you have a fan on the side, make that blow in also. If you get a case with a top fan, make that blow out.

From there, it really all depends on how neat your cables are inside the case. As long as they aren't tangled up everywhere they should be fine. Try to keep them bundled together, you may want to use twist-ties or invest in some zip-ties, and then keep them along the sides and edges of the case. Keeping cables out of the center allows for smooth airflow and will always allow hot air to escape out the back. If you need to put cables directly in the center, keep them as one large bundle, like a pipe that goes straight to the power supply.

Personally, the Antec Three Hundred would be my next case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811129042
... and I would purchase an additional 120mm fan (25mm deep, since in a review it said 38mm deep fans don't fit in front) to put in the front since the only included fans are at the back and top. That's really not bad, but having that front fan really gets the airflow going.

I've always gotten quality cases and power supplies from Antec. I'd suggest a power supply from their TruePower series.
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."
-•¤Lazy Bone¤•-: we had to double ghost or we had no chance
•§ITHLORD§•(surfer): artylery give no many domage on aa mobile since 3 day

peow130
Noob @ Everything

Post by peow130 »

I also recommend the antec 300
I have an antec 900, with more fans stock and the craftsmanship is top-notch.

Moo
Spam4food

Post by Moo »

Well I think ill stick with Cooler Master for my case for overclocking i just want it to be a perfect 3.0GHz Ill take those suggestions on the power supply as for Nola which Ati is equal or greater then the 250? (I want it to be a DVI and have a HD output) Because ill buy an HD Monitor from TigerDirect since theyre about 160 which will be nice :) after i buy the PC and the orange box from steam so X warrior and i finally play something besides EE since his router sucks :P then i can reduce the cost of the power to 40~50ish and waste that more and a video card

inola
Nemesis

Post by inola »

5850 run around $300
5870 run around $400
5970 run around $650

Case fans really have never mattered for me when overclocking the two default fans are enough but if you must overclock make sure you buy a new cpu fan & heatsink combo or go water which only runs around $80.
You seem bent on wasting money if I were you I would buy 2 ssd hard drives and run them raid 0.

I would drop the overclocking shit you seem like a noobie that will fuck your shit up. :)

Omega
Administrator
Lobby Username: [-Ts-] Ωmega

Post by Omega »

inola wrote:I would drop the overclocking shit you seem like a noobie that will fuck your shit up. :)
Seconded.

peow130
Noob @ Everything

Post by peow130 »

Omega wrote:
inola wrote:I would drop the overclocking shit you seem like a noobie that will fuck your shit up. :)
Seconded.
Thirded.

Moo
Spam4food

Post by Moo »

2 Sources
1. Google
2. Computer Expert (Asain Friend)
3. Friend with 3 Brothers who have built many computers so i know what im doing

inola