Buying a Computer

Discuss anything here related to the large world of computers and electronics, whether you're asking for help, wanting to learn more, or just want to share some intellect with your fellow forumers.
Moo
Spam4food

Buying a Computer

Post by Moo »

I want some help on buying a desktop PC. Im planning on buying for myself on christmas and i can go up to 750 USD, http://www.microcenter.com/ is where i plan on buying it. I Plan on buying a regular comp with Quad and 4 to 8 gigs of Ram. I want to replace the Chipset thats its probally gonna have with a EVGA Graphics Card.
I might buy either http://www.microcenter.com/single_produ ... id=0312544
Or http://www.microcenter.com/single_produ ... id=0312541
Along with a http://www.microcenter.com/single_produ ... id=0305907
Any Help or suggestions to a better Computer? I want it able to Run Call of Duty 6 btw

peow130
Noob @ Everything

Re: Buying a Computer

Post by peow130 »

SlipKnoT wrote:swords are 30 u idiot.

Moo
Spam4food

Post by Moo »

peow130 wrote:lol...
here
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... &CatId=114

comes with a 9800GT.
Uh.... AMD is Gay

peow130
Noob @ Everything

Post by peow130 »

uh.
AMD runs cooler, is cheaper, and has always been as good as intel.
So, fuck you i'm not going to help you.

Enjoy your shitty dell, and i'm pretty sure that without a good case you'll overheat your GFX card you put in it.

Moo
Spam4food

Post by Moo »

peow130 wrote:uh.
AMD runs cooler, is cheaper, and has always been as good as intel.
So, fuck you i'm not going to help you.

Enjoy your shitty dell, and i'm pretty sure that without a good case you'll overheat your GFX card you put in it.
Ghost is the smart one he will decide which is Better

PeLlE
Nemesis
Xfire: thepelie
Lobby Username: [-Ts-] Pelie

Post by PeLlE »

lol I got a dell with Geforce 9800 GTX and never had any problems ;)
dreamwalker: i already clearly stated for all the english people that i dont play here
eeralf: ======???????????
eeralf: dont undersstand say it in street language
dreamwalker: fam mans already said im not gwarning wid yo shit on dis ting

inola
Nemesis

Post by inola »

AMD is cheaper than intel I like intel better these days but you really can't tell the difference, I own I7 920 and my kid has AMD Athlon II X2 250 cheapy, we both have same video card and same amount of ram I average 5 frames per second more that her comp and my shit cost 2x more because I went intel. Five frames per second is no difference in games unless you drop below 30 frams per second.

If I could go back id probably get an amd and just over clock the piss out of it. As for the 9800gtx it's old shit I would buy something newer nvidia 250 series or better Ati 5750 or better. What ever you do try not to get onboard video card unless you plan on playing old games only.

USOLA
Global Moderator
Xfire: usola
Lobby Username: usola

Post by USOLA »

whats the difference between amd and intel? which one is better?

peow130
Noob @ Everything

Post by peow130 »

AMD and intel have been the two main chipset producers since like 1995...
AMD makes ATI as well, and Nvidia and Intel are slowly intertwining.
AMD has always offered a cheaper, more competitive gpu/cpu with as good as or better than intel specs.

AMD chipsets tend to run ALOT cooler than intel, and they always have.

Moo
Spam4food

Post by Moo »

peow130 wrote:AMD and intel have been the two main chipset producers since like 1995...
AMD has always offered a cheaper, more competitive gpu/cpu with as good as or better than intel specs.

All you say Is AMD is better but why not give the facts that Intel is better at?
And Peow does it mean AMD will be Able to run evertything its corresponding Intel Chip can? if you can prove that to me ill buy a AMD

Moo
Spam4food

Post by Moo »

Also http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... No=4691169 this one ties with the quad AMD

peow130
Noob @ Everything

Post by peow130 »

Destroyer wrote:
peow130 wrote:AMD and intel have been the two main chipset producers since like 1995...

All you say Is AMD is better but why not give the facts that Intel is better at?
And Peow does it mean AMD will be Able to run evertything its corresponding Intel Chip can? if you can prove that to me ill buy a AMD
Are you mentally handicapped?
They're in competition, both of them are always going to be able to run the same things.
I say AMD is better because they usually are better. Cheaper, run cooler, easier to overclock without overheating, and they'll do the same thing that intel will.

inola
Nemesis

Post by inola »

peow130 wrote: They're in competition, both of them are always going to be able to run the same things.
I say AMD is better because they usually are better. Cheaper, run cooler, easier to overclock without overheating, and they'll do the same thing that intel will.
I agree with peow they are good and they will save you some cash that you can throw into graphics card which for gaming matters the most. Amd is not the best or fastest but they will do the same task without any noticeable difference, I definitely like the way amd mounts the fan and heat sink intel uses plastic pins for the fan that break easy.

Amd/Ati video cards rock :)
(depending on what card)

Omega
Administrator
Lobby Username: [-Ts-] Ωmega

Post by Omega »

Also agree with Peow, but I'll put it another way:

AMD is the best value for your money. You're on a budget. Do you want to buy something that is not the best value for your money, or something that is the best value for your money? If you pick the former, go Intel, if you pick the later, go AMD. You'll get an equivalent processor for cheaper, which means you'll have more cash to spend on a good graphics card, which means your computer runs games better.

Ghost
Administrator
Lobby Username: [-Ts-] Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Clarification on processors... if you generally like one brand over the other, you're a fanboy. I'm an Intel fanboy, but I can admit when an AMD chip is better.

Around 2003, before dual-core processors were mainstream, AMD was far behind Intel. When multi-core processors and x64 hit the market, AMD was producing extraordinary chips at prices far cheaper than Intel. As of late, Intel has been back on top, as their top-of-the-line consumer processors are going unmatched, while also learning to keep their prices competitive.

Regardless of what brand you buy, you're going to get something that gets the job done, so you shouldn't worry too much about it. When you talk about getting the better value for your money, it really depends on which brand currently has the better line of products. So, compare it to what I said earlier. At one point, Intel was the better value, then AMD was the better value, then Intel, then AMD, etc. etc.

I personally believe that at this moment, there isn't a dominate brand, so you have to factor in what performance level you're shopping for (i.e. something that just works and is fairly new, OR something that is fucking awesome, new, and will last you for years and years to come).

And again, perhaps you shouldn't even need to consider any of this. If you're a power user, you're going to want to know the exact specs of the machine and get every bit of value out of your purchase. On the other hand, if you want a computer just to get shit done and occasionally have some fun, just fucking go out to Best Buy and tell them you want the best computer that $750 will buy. I prefer not to waste my time with hardware recommendations to people who know absolutely nothing about computers and are too fucking lazy to do the shopping themselves.
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."
-•¤Lazy Bone¤•-: we had to double ghost or we had no chance
•§ITHLORD§•(surfer): artylery give no many domage on aa mobile since 3 day

Return to “Technical Discussion”