Game freezes after NeoEE patch

If you're having any technical difficulties with EE, or installing or using the NeoEE patch, make a post here and someone will try and help you out.
tissue901
Forum Noob
Lobby Username: tissue

Game freezes after NeoEE patch

Post by tissue901 »

Last night I booted up an old install of EE for the first time in months and played a round of single player with no issues. I then logged in to the NeoEE lobby to see how the community was doing but I got a "Version mismatch" error when trying to join someones game. I closed my game, downloaded the newest NeoEE patch and installed it. I went back online and after joining a game, my game froze about 15 seconds into the match (put some cits on gold, opened the civ builder then couldn't do anything else). I could still hear the audio going and the game didn't crash to my desktop, but I couldn't move my mouse or see any movement on the screen.

Today I decided to try again, got into a 4v4 mid sh and was super excited to play... 15 seconds in the game froze and I had to force quit the game.

I then deleted my EE folder, rebooted my computer and downloaded EE again off my Google Drive (I uploaded a copy that I installed on my computer years ago, which doesn't have the NeoEE patch, but has the 2 official Sierra patches). This has worked hundreds of times in the past for neo-ee and the save-ee lobby. I booted that up and played a quick single player match with no issue so I decided to then install NeoEE again.

I just went online and tried to join a game... same thing again where it froze 15 seconds into a game. What I realize is that the game will freeze as long as I'm not in the multiplayer menu. The lobby never freezes but if I open the game and let it sit on the main menu after 30 seconds or so the game freezes and I have to force quit.

I suspect there's an issue with the latest NeoEE patch because my outdated NeoEE copy worked just fine and the original game without the latest NeoEE patch also works fine. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could try?

I should note that this happened without changing any graphic settings. I did also turn off Vsync in game, tried compatibility mode, reduced to 8 bit colors, run as administrator, and run in 640x480 screen resolution but none of these had any effect.

*Edit*
I also have a Nvidia GeForce 970 graphics card. I read through this https://neoee.weebly.com/random-freeze.html but there's no info for GeForce cards. Is anyone else here successfully running on a Geforce card?

Locodoco
Advanced Member
Lobby Username: _[eC]_Locodoco_

Re: Game freezes after NeoEE patch

Post by Locodoco »

if you are Using Windows 10 , it usually freezes.
i changed compatibility to windows 7 and its working fine
pody: eC .. is etc for what ?
_[eC]_Arntzen_: european cunts
pody: ahh .. ok bro
_[eC]_Arntzen_: np
_[eC]_Arntzen_: :)

tissue901
Forum Noob

Post by tissue901 »

I reinstalled for a 3rd time after shutting down all anti-malware software and running Ccleaner and it seems to work now. Switched to windows 7 compatibility mode and I realize before I wasn't using the shortcuts that NeoEE creates that proxies to the Loader.exe file. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

tissue901
Forum Noob

Post by tissue901 »

Nevermind, spoke to soon. Just hosted an online match and it froze after a few seconds. Played a game of singleplayer just fine though.

D55
Lobby Username: D55

Post by D55 »

Make sure you have a 32 bit resolution selected in your game options. A lot of people freeze using windows 10 in 16 bit

Jodocus
NeoEE Developer
Lobby Username: Jodocus

Post by Jodocus »

D55 wrote:Make sure you have a 32 bit resolution selected in your game options. A lot of people freeze using windows 10 in 16 bit
This. Make sure you take a resolution like 1024x768x32, this usually fixes this sort of problem. The NeoEE patch should try to pre-select a 32bit-resolution in future s.t. this problem doesn't occur any longer...

tissue901
Forum Noob

Post by tissue901 »

I just tried the 32 bit suggestion and I successfully played 3 games in single player and started up a multiplayer game with no issue. Thanks for what seems to be the fix.

Loyon
Forum Noob
Lobby Username: Loy_On

Post by Loyon »

I've got a worse problem. When i try to open the exe (runned as administrator, windows 7 mode etc) it'll freeze at the 1st frame of the menu, i can't use the mouse as well. Any solution?

Return to “Support”