Shut down the Server ?

For all the off-topic discussion, nonsense, spam, or whatever you want to call it. Post it all down here. WARNING: Entrance may result in drop of IQ.
Jodocus_
Intermediate Member
Lobby Username: Jodocus

Re: Shut down the Server ?

Post by Jodocus_ »

GameRanger is using VPN connections to enable games. Empire Earth offers no interface to do anything like this just by their original servers, so port forwarding will be inevitable. Maybe someone can program some little UPnP tool that can at least auto forward the ports on the router (if you have the rights). But enabling hosting to anybody has no priority yet.

Jodocus_
Intermediate Member

Post by Jodocus_ »

Here is the video proof (done with RealForce): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t48QUP7e8mU&

Ghost
Administrator
Lobby Username: [-Ts-] Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Feel free to reach out to me via email if you want to talk about hosting your server for testing and eventually production.
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."
-•¤Lazy Bone¤•-: we had to double ghost or we had no chance
•§ITHLORD§•(surfer): artylery give no many domage on aa mobile since 3 day

Jodocus_
Intermediate Member

Post by Jodocus_ »

A public test day is imminent!
RealForce will provide some information on this soon. I will have to write some advice list for the testers and publish it.
Recently, I've done the first step in adding games to the game list. The lobby is close to a basic shape. The server stability must be tested now. The more guys at the same time can join the test day, the better.

RealForce
NeoEE Developer
Lobby Username: RealForce

Post by RealForce »

Test Day_____Test Day_________Test Day_________Test Day
Date: 30/May/2013

At 7:00 PM GMT

Art Of Conquest Only!!
Please Keep checking the site to Get information about it
before 1 hour....
http://goo.gl/5UNkD

Black Star
Lobby Username: Die Gurke

Post by Black Star »

Simple question: I hate this time difference shit, what time is is in Germany? LOL :D "shame"
[22:23:06] [-Ts-] Tricky: i dont even know what my name is anymore

BigRon
Lobby Username: BigRon

Post by BigRon »

^ 8pm

RealForce
NeoEE Developer
Lobby Username: RealForce

Post by RealForce »

We added Counter
Which Counts Down, Added few Things which may make Things more Clear_Time.
http://users9.jabry.com/neoee/en/Testday.htm

Jodocus_
Intermediate Member

Post by Jodocus_ »

I analyzed about 60% of the NST1 (NeoEE Server Test 1) results and fixed some of the occured bugs. Unfortunately, RealForce could not join me today, so he missed the entire test. Because of this there is even the bigger need for a second test very soon (besides that many other guys that wanted to sneak into it hadn't the chance to). I think the next Test will also contain friend lists and/or game lists.

Captain Nemo
Global Moderator
Lobby Username: >Heros<=Captain Nemo*

Post by Captain Nemo »

U start the counter again and we'll be there
bosshaft: "A warm pussy is so much better than a dick! Trust me."

[-Ts-] Tricky
Administrator

Post by [-Ts-] Tricky »

you able to do eec as well so us noobs without aoc cant check it out :)
-NeW-: ey idiot
-NeW-: triki
-NeW-: no
-NeW-: stupid
-NeW-: u are syndrom down
-NeW-: and retardet
simple_faith Assassin was pretty great
Kazter:Assassin was shit.

herik
Momma's boy
Lobby Username: herik

Post by herik »

I live in Australia, so idk your times, from right now, how many hours till test, i wana try this :D

Warmonger
Forum Noob
Lobby Username: Warmonger

Post by Warmonger »

All this time and have only made it to chat support? :shock: Fill us in on the details, what language is it being written in? (C#, C++, Visual Basic) What type of socket system will it use? (IOCP, Berkeley, etc). I was giving thought of writing my own EE emulator from scratch for both Windows + Linux, but figured if I was to invest that kind of time I would do it in a much more popular game as Age Of Mythology (as I prefer AOM over EE). Tho collaboration on how far your project is getting is kinda the only purpose some people come here. Fill us in on the juicy details, people are interested in that kind of stuff as well. It lets us known if the project will be flop, or something really worth looking at later on. Plus tips and pointers could help your project as it matures.
There is no place like 127.0.0.1 except for ::1 Image

Jodocus_
Intermediate Member

Post by Jodocus_ »

>> All this time and have only made it to chat support? :shock:

Yes, at the user end it is "only" the chat support.
I don't know about you, but I can not afford eight hours a day working on this project. Sorry to say that, but in my time management I set other priorities higher than that. Furthermore, as I told you before, what I am doing is not "just" some server. WON is a server system, consisting of at least 6 (or more) different servers for different tasks. This project is nothing more or less than a try to re-implement the entire WON system (which is the predecessor of Steam). Thinking of that there is just some EE Server with a communication model looking like "log me in pls, my password is: blabal", "ok, no problem, welcome!", "thanks, man!" is naive. I don't know your experiences on this area, but for me, it is the first time that I write software of that dimension.

>> Fill us in on the details, [...]
>> Fill us in on the juicy details, people are interested in that kind of stuff as well.

What do you expect? Publishing a complete WON specification that I don't have, that maybe even doesn't exist (anymore)? Then I would have to write one (which will be several pages strong). And there we are back at problem numero uno: time. If I had any, I would rather write a documentation of my own code than specifying WON again.
Furthermore, other than the approach from Save-EE which (more or less surprisingly) switched to a transparent open source model it is WAAY too early to do the same with my project right now. Since I really try to unify the rest of the world wide community of EE (which includes Save-EE, GameRanger and EETpy) some confidential implementations like the CD key algorithm must not be published. Why? Because the cheating situation on GR is much worse than for example here and there is no other option than a ban by CD key.
Concerning the other stuff I can tell you what ever you want to know. But I won't provide special details for free. If you really want to know anything or even what to see the current codes you (including anyone who feels addressed) have to join the development and help me. I don't need guys standing at the side while looking at my codes, laughing at my developments pace and enjoying their popcorn.

>> what language is it being written in?

C++

>> What type of socket system will it use? (IOCP, Berkeley, etc)

Currently it uses my library (having the same name as me) for networking. It is Windows-only and basing on Overlapped I/O connected with IOCPs. However, my software design should allow it to replace it easily by some plattform independend library like asio.

>> I was giving thought of writing my own EE emulator from scratch for both Windows + Linux, but figured if I was to invest that kind of time I would do it in a much more popular game as Age Of Mythology (as I prefer AOM over EE).

Cool story. And where is your AOM emulator? I was also thinking on becoming the next president of the United States (even though I don't have U.S. citizenship). I will let you know when I made progress!

>> Tho collaboration on how far your project is getting is kinda the only purpose some people come here.

So, do you want to collaborate? What I want to hear is a clear YES or NO, which I haven't heard from you so far (even though I asked you months ago).

>> It lets us known if the project will be flop, or something really worth looking at later on.

You are really impatient, buddy. Time will show if this project will be a flop or not. What is your criteria for this project beeing a flop? Completion in a week?

Ghost
Administrator
Lobby Username: [-Ts-] Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Warmonger wrote:All this time and have only made it to chat support? ... It lets us known if the project will be flop, or something really worth looking at later on. Plus tips and pointers could help your project as it matures.
lol... reverse engineering a server without a documented API isn't an overnight job

And you obviously didn't think that second bit through. The only things that would make a project like this flop is whatever would cause the original server to flop. From an end-user's point of view, there's nothing different from the original server, which is the most optimal experience (other than having to forward ports to host). The alternatives are popular only because the in-game lobby ceased to exist.

As for project maturity, it's quite possible for this project to hit a ceiling. The client is essentially unmodifiable, so once the server can accommodate the full feature set of the client the only work left to be done is adding administration niceties, bug fixing, or security and performance enhancements. The only way to accelerate the process of the latter two is to add collaborators that have skill debugging, doing root cause analysis, and/or development. Doing the former is based entirely on preference of the administrator(s) and is influenced by feedback (I know from experience, and you always get feedback even if you don't want it).
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."
-•¤Lazy Bone¤•-: we had to double ghost or we had no chance
•§ITHLORD§•(surfer): artylery give no many domage on aa mobile since 3 day

Return to “The Basement”