Mine Walling

Only for talk specifically about the Art of Conquest expansion.
AEnima
Intermediate Member
Lobby Username: AEnema

Mine Walling

Post by AEnima »

In Pre, successful attacks are pretty rare, seeing how cits are almost as strong as clubman, especially with 50% damage reduction from morale in standard. Towers totally annihilate clubman, should mine walling be allowed in pre? It really takes the fun out of it imo. Discuss!

lightnessking.
Nemesis

Re: Mine Walling

Post by lightnessking. »

AEnima wrote:In Pre, successful attacks are pretty rare, seeing how cits are almost as strong as clubman, especially with 50% damage reduction from morale in standard. Towers totally annihilate clubman, should mine walling be allowed in pre? It really takes the fun out of it imo. Discuss!
60% damage if you're in capitol range and have 6 houses.

Mine wallers is only a disadvantage when you're in his base for the first time and notice he's walling. Make 1-3 rock throwers, send them to every mine and start annoying his citizens. He either will send his army to your rock throwers and you can kill his woodcutters, or he will delete the cheapest building and run his citz, allowing you to kill them as well + he wasted resources.

I saw mine walling as a problem too approx. 1,5-2 years ago until I realize it's a waste or resources. Even someone with a temple could make 1 priest and start converting your citz.
You cannot make another post so soon after your last.

AEnima
Intermediate Member

Post by AEnima »

50% was typo, rock throwers would die to towers/clubs...wtf.

lightnessking.
Nemesis

Post by lightnessking. »

AEnima wrote:50% was typo, rock throwers would die to towers/clubs...wtf.
If done right you won't be attacked by a tower if you're attacking with a single rock thrower. (Depending if he uses 1 or 2 towers. If he uses 2 nevermind, if he uses 1 you can do it.)

And I didn't said "go full rock throwers". I said make a few and start annoying your enemies mines.
quote: you
OBVIOUSLY YOU DIDN'T GOT THE POINT /quote

As I said if he attacks your rockthrower with his clubman, that allows you to kill his woodcutters easely.

And if you do it even smarter, you backup your single rockthrower with some visible clubman, so he will send more (or most likely almost all) clubman then when he only sees your rockthrower and sends out 1 clubman.

Yet again, annoying his mine costs him seconds of harvesting which in any game besides deathmatch is quite funest. (imagine annoying all mines, throughout the whole game.)

AEnima
Intermediate Member

Post by AEnima »

lightnessking wrote:
AEnima wrote:50% was typo, rock throwers would die to towers/clubs...wtf.
If done right you won't be attacked by a tower if you're attacking with a single rock thrower. (Depending if he uses 1 or 2 towers. If he uses 2 nevermind, if he uses 1 you can do it.)

And I didn't said "go full rock throwers". I said make a few and start annoying your enemies mines.
quote: you
OBVIOUSLY YOU DIDN'T GOT THE POINT /quote

As I said if he attacks your rockthrower with his clubman, that allows you to kill his woodcutters easely.

And if you do it even smarter, you backup your single rockthrower with some visible clubman, so he will send more (or most likely almost all) clubman then when he only sees your rockthrower and sends out 1 clubman.

Yet again, annoying his mine costs him seconds of harvesting which in any game besides deathmatch is quite funest. (imagine annoying all mines, throughout the whole game.)
Dude....if you think idleing cits with rock throwers is a good strat/cost effective/plausible, God help you.

Ghost
Administrator
Lobby Username: [-Ts-] Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Irrelevant posts deleted, topic reopened. I think this would good discussion for other users.

I've played my fair share of Pre. It never used to be a problem years ago because only people smart enough to do it did it. Now it's just becoming a more popular trend.

It does not cost any extra resources if done properly because you still end up with the same amount of houses as you normally would.

Priests are simply not that effective in Pre (as a supplement) because they don't convert units fast enough. I'd also agree that idling cits with rock throwers is not that effective.

For the amount of extra micromanagement it takes, it's a very good strategy. There's no reason not to do it when you are easily able to.

Does it take the fun out of the game? Maybe. Nobody wants to be on the opposite end of this strategy, or some others I can think of for that matter. BUT to a lot of people, winning is where the fun is and some people will do whatever it takes to win.
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."
-•¤Lazy Bone¤•-: we had to double ghost or we had no chance
•§ITHLORD§•(surfer): artylery give no many domage on aa mobile since 3 day

AEnima
Intermediate Member

Post by AEnima »

The point is pre on standard variant favors defending so much as it is, mine walling just adds to the ridiculousness.

Arntzen
Administrator
Lobby Username: _[eC]_Arntzen_

Post by Arntzen »

As I said in the original topic about this issue:
Kazter wrote:It's kinda gay anyway, spesually in p2s. I mean if u orginially think each mine need 1 settle 1 tower, then the only thing u need for complete minewall is 1 house. And in p2s if u minewall 2 iron 2 forage 1 stone there is pretty much only ur hunt and some woodcutters left to kill. Ye its a part of the game, and i dont like rules.. but coman!
Basically IMO it ruins p2s and make it even looonger and more boring.

Here is the original topic:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3617
A Good Place to Start: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3884
Click to download: eC Civilization

lightnessking.
Nemesis

Post by lightnessking. »

@ghost, not every house at mine walling comes in morale area, therefore making the/some house(s) useless. (Unless you use expandionism in civ, but even then you can't place 6 houses in capitol range so instead of having 60% morale you'll have a spreaded morale.)

a few rock throwers to distract a mine, will cause citizens stop gathering and a part of his army will chase your rocks, therefore making it easier to kill the hunters and woodcutters ( assuming ALL mines are mine walled. )

Rockthrowers do suck, unless they're massed. But it's a cheap unit to produce once to start annoying mines and luring your enemy.

And you can always tower a mine waller.

AEnima
Intermediate Member

Post by AEnima »

You can't really tower a good player in their base....lol. And Rock Throwers are not cost effective at all in combatting mine walling, considering the resources it would take you to go out of your way to make them just to "distract" his economy, is actually just hurting your economy itself, and I don't see it as a viable way to combat mine walling anyway. And you don't need an excessive amount of buildings to mine wall, you can do it with 3.

lightnessking.
Nemesis

Post by lightnessking. »

AEnima wrote:You can't really tower a good player in their base....lol. And Rock Throwers are not cost effective at all in combatting mine walling, considering the resources it would take you to go out of your way to make them just to "distract" his economy, is actually just hurting your economy itself, and I don't see it as a viable way to combat mine walling anyway. And you don't need an excessive amount of buildings to mine wall, you can do it with 3.
you didnt get the point once again. I still wonder how people concidered you as a excellent player.

AEnima
Intermediate Member

Post by AEnima »

Which of the points didn't I get?

lightnessking.
Nemesis

Post by lightnessking. »

AEnima wrote:Which of the points didn't I get?
How rockthrowers are only as a decoy WHILE they annoy your enemy, and I'm not going to write the whole story again, just read my previous posts.

AEnima
Intermediate Member

Post by AEnima »

AEnima wrote:And Rock Throwers are not cost effective at all in combatting mine walling, considering the resources it would take you to go out of your way to make them just to "distract" his economy, is actually just hurting your economy itself, and I don't see it as a viable way to combat mine walling anyway.
Read?

lightnessking.
Nemesis

Post by lightnessking. »

AEnima wrote:
AEnima wrote:And Rock Throwers are not cost effective at all in combatting mine walling, considering the resources it would take you to go out of your way to make them just to "distract" his economy, is actually just hurting your economy itself, and I don't see it as a viable way to combat mine walling anyway.
Read?
lightnessking wrote:
AEnima wrote:You can't really tower a good player in their base....lol. And Rock Throwers are not cost effective at all in combatting mine walling, considering the resources it would take you to go out of your way to make them just to "distract" his economy, is actually just hurting your economy itself, and I don't see it as a viable way to combat mine walling anyway. And you don't need an excessive amount of buildings to mine wall, you can do it with 3.
you didnt get the point once again. I still wonder how people concidered you as a excellent player.

Return to “EE: AoC Discussion”