Tribute Screen - Wow..bye bye large part of strategy

Only for talk specifically about the Art of Conquest expansion.
thearseofwar
Basic Member

Tribute Screen - Wow..bye bye large part of strategy

Post by thearseofwar »

Hello Lads!

Glad to see you're all still hammering away on here and keeping the old game going.

I haven't played for many months and just had a couple of p2s over the last couple of weeks, when I can snatch a moment (ie when wife and baby are asleep) and feel like relaxing with the old game.

But I have to say I'm stunned that the ability to tribute is gone! WTF?

I know there are some glitching little motherf*ckers that use such powers to cheat away in other setts but in p2s it's definitely a huge strategic component. The ability to tribute, not to glitch...lol.

If you have somewhat unbalanced teams it's a way to even things up in game. Given the length of time a game can play over and the possibility of a stronger team getting cocky and lazy...by boosting the strongest player on the weaker team while the others harrass the enemy you can swing a game around.

Or demanding all the gold and wood your team has and seiging a complacent enemy (even if he's more advanced) in a big way you can buy enough time often enough to open up the chance of victory. etc.

You've also taken out the chance to prophet rush or meta rush at start. Which, not favourites of mine, the knowledge that it might happen keeps everyone on their toes. So right from the very start of the game the strategic options are liimited.

Without tribute it's basically game over once one team has the advantage and there is no way to compensate in game for weaker allies in a team. If they can't kill anyone they can at least give you the resource you need to make up for their screw-ups. lol.

I remember in the past, when modifications were being made to the game, some criticisms about whatever changes removing strategic components, but always felt on balance, it was worth it.

No tribute isn't worth it. You've just dumbed the game down big time and I'm stunned the p2s crowd have put up with it.

Maybe another patch just for p2s players that brings it back in. Spices the game up somewhat sometimes.

Have to say, as it is, knowing that the game is basically over as soon as you pick teams, that there is little you can do in game to make up for the weakness of any given player (by screaming at them for gold food or whatever as needed lol) brings in a lot of zzzzz factor...

What has made this game so fantastic over the many years since other RTS superseded it was the vast array of options in the game play. Changes that reduce the strategic options push ee/aoc close to the grave.

Cheers
Arse

lightnessking.
Nemesis

Re: Tribute Screen - Wow..bye bye large part of strategy

Post by lightnessking. »

Good to hear from you again arse, I'd agree we need tributes back in atleast pre2space games, also in mid games it would be nice ( pockets give iron to wings, wings give gold to pocket in example ).

If possible, can you upgrade the patch tab, so we can install the patch we like? (what I mean is, adding every patch omega created + the basic version ). In this order we can pick our own patches.

I know it's gonna cost alot of data if you procceed it, maybe if you create a small application so everyone can simply choose what patch you currently want to use.
You cannot make another post so soon after your last.

D55
Lobby Username: D55

Post by D55 »

even though there was just a 3 page discussion on this topic, i was told if a majority supports it, there would be a vote again. so i guess if you would like another poll you should speak up,

I for one would like another poll.

White Fang

Post by White Fang »

lol my god getting 79 iron at the start seems so overpowered now O_O but then maybe people will learn how to stop rushes again :P on mid sh anyway as most 4v4 games the wings dont rush much anymore
"TŖĪÇĦŐΜĔҗ ҜąžŤєř җ: fang's the most sexy offer"

P-51
Epic Multiplayer Scenario Team Member
Xfire: p51p51
Lobby Username: «•FRMB•»P-51

Post by P-51 »

Thank you for supporting the cause Arse. Your input is much appreciated.

lightnessking.
Nemesis

Post by lightnessking. »

White Fang wrote:lol my god getting 79 iron at the start seems so overpowered now O_O but then maybe people will learn how to stop rushes again :P on mid sh anyway as most 4v4 games the wings dont rush much anymore
lol, imagine a metallurgy rush, both pockets give all their metals to you, and the other wing the gold. Seems GG to enemy wing :D. We should have tribute screen back yes. A revote should be a nice idea, altho there must be alot more players asking for it before there will be one.
You cannot make another post so soon after your last.

thor
Intermediate Member
Lobby Username: pM_Thor

Post by thor »

Tributing wings in mid was great. Also, if youre a boomer like i am, being in pocket and tributing food to dying wings was a major bonus. sure a few games here and there tributing is unfair and gives reason to say "HEY YOU DIDNT WIN WITHOUT TRIBS!!!" but all in all, a very fun element
pM_Thor

thearseofwar
Basic Member

Post by thearseofwar »

Glad to see there is support for a re-vote on this issue! :)

Tribute returning broadens the in-game strategic options and makes the outcomes of games less certain where teams are unbalanced. It needs returning.

;)

ben55

Post by ben55 »

Go to the patch tab. Select the patch of choice(vanilla, changes with tribs, no tribs), and then host Pre 2 Space (Vanilla, tribs, or no tribs).

It takes about five seconds to swap patches... Maybe the admin/mods should put this on the log in screen, so people don't think they are limited to one patch.

As for the changes I like them and think it requires as much strategy if not more than with the tribute screen not being present.
"Nothing is impossible, the word itself says "I'm possible"!"

Zeus

Post by Zeus »

then it limits the number of players who can play in games together even more. Theres no arguing with you stubborn people lmfao.
Omega said in the other page there will be no re-vote because that would be "stupid and immature" of us to want a re-vote.

Sucks for everyone else apparently.

ben55

Post by ben55 »

How does it limit the players? Anyone using the lobby can swap versions in seconds and re swap, etc. I was hoping your own topic was an abnormality, but you really are that dense; And to further prove how dense you are, you take what Omega says out of context to fit what you want to see.

If you are going to use " " at least quote them or be in the same area of what they said don't look like an imbecile it doesn't help your arguments.

Zeus

Post by Zeus »

Actually, the context in which i quoted him fit perfectly with his actual statement. Once again your lack of reading comprehension hinders your argument.

When asked to hold a revote : "Do you realize how stupid/immature this sounds? You won't accept the first vote because you don't like the outcome... but you seem to be saying you'd accept a second vote... but I'm guessing that's conditional on you liking the outcome, again."
Word for Word.

D55
Lobby Username: D55

Post by D55 »

i believe a delay on the tribute screen when you click on it will fix a majority of the glitching, especially if its a random delay

ben55

Post by ben55 »

Stupid and immature isn't implied at the re vote if you look at the conversation throughout the posts. I'm about 90% sure Omega implied it in the way you and others are handling it by slinging mud and making up claims which is stupid and immature. Take some of your own advice and learn to read.

Zeus

Post by Zeus »

It was your own advice to P-51, which i spun on you...get it? READ.
And no not really if YOU read the conversation. Which i mean come on..its you..of course you didn't. Here i'll help again:
"P-51 wrote:
The only way to stop this conversations is to redo the vote. Then if there is still a supermajority you'll prove that you can keep away the tribute screen but until then there isn't much of an argument against it. "
Omega then Quoted this, and resopnded with what i posted 2 post up. How was it implied..

Return to “EE: AoC Discussion”