Mid dm

Only for talk specifically about the Art of Conquest expansion.
Ghost
Administrator
Lobby Username: [-Ts-] Ghost

Re: Mid dm

Post by Ghost »

On a separate note... I think for any setting, popularity goes out the window when you make any comparison. As someone who has played pretty much everything you can think, and someone who has played since EE came out, I think I have the right to make the following generalization:

The more difficult setts are not as popular. Why? The level of entry is much higher. Other, easier, setts have more players because new players can learn it quickly. This can be directly related to the business world. Could you start up a new business making a video game console? No, because you would be competing with corporate behemoths Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo. Could you start up a small ice cream shop downtown in your hometown? Probably.

Is my generalization perfect? No. I think Copper SH would be pretty damn easy but it's not popular at all. A setting has to have enough difficulty to sustain a hierarchy of skill levels among its players in order to broaden its audience. Ages like Mid and Indy are good examples because they implement enough aspects of the game to elevate them above the "basic" level (attracting skilled players), but they still aren't as complicated as ages like Mod and Nano (attracting unskilled players).
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."
-•¤Lazy Bone¤•-: we had to double ghost or we had no chance
•§ITHLORD§•(surfer): artylery give no many domage on aa mobile since 3 day

Captain Nemo
Global Moderator
Lobby Username: >Heros<=Captain Nemo*

Post by Captain Nemo »

Zeus I came to play a few mid dm games. I remember playing u 1v1 in mid dm and indy dm and I won both games. Mid dm u went treb/sword and I went ca/persian mainly. And Im not a mid dm nor indy dm player though I do know how to play those setts even from just 5 games, cause they really don't have alot to offer. Took me years and years to become very good in mod dm and I still find myself updating civs and finding new strategies.

I think it's some wonder (or actually I don't) that none (at least not those speaking here?) of u mid dm players are concidered good allsett players.

PS: I may have used my "Empire Earth™" name. Btw I do appreciate one of u guys had to guts to stand out and say "Im good"
bosshaft: "A warm pussy is so much better than a dick! Trust me."

D55
Lobby Username: D55

Post by D55 »

this isnt about who is good at all setts vs one sett players, its a matter of which takes more skill in specific settings, some setts might be more difficult to learn than others but in the long wrong, it comes down to what people enjoy most which lets face it, on aoc i saw more mid sh and mid dm games then everything else, people didnt not play a sett because it was hard, people only played what they liked to play, in way early days i remember i was desent at mod dm and indy sh and indy dm and remember being in clans like the imperial guads for my indy skills, but i just fell in love with mid, i dont know why, but i think its awsome, and from 2004 and on all i played for the most part was mid dm, not because it was all i was good at but i just loved playing it. so there were some who just played dm, others played all setts, while others stuck with citybuilders... either way we are all players who play the same game. and in my opinion its more fun to play a sett that had more popularity despite skill levels,

P-51
Epic Multiplayer Scenario Team Member
Xfire: p51p51
Lobby Username: «•FRMB•»P-51

Post by P-51 »

Omega wrote:

I'm pretty sure your experience on this matter applies only to AoC, because, of all of the top allsett DM players on EEC, I can only name a few that didn't claim modern DM as their main setting. Furthermore, Modern DM was quite popular, and I could name at least 100 players who were quite good at it.
Yeah mod dm was never hosted on AoC, and when it was it was a sett people played when they were bored.

taco
Civ Nazi
Lobby Username: taco

Post by taco »

mod dm was hosted however became the nb1 sett for gay shit, as alot of players in the day would resort to tc whoring flooding and other strats which are frowned upon. mostly looking at UC and AI for doing this. thats my understanding of it anyhow.

P-51

Post by P-51 »

I don't recall UC and AI ever playing mod dm.

peow130
Noob @ Everything

Post by peow130 »

taco wrote:mod dm was hosted however became the nb1 sett for gay shit, as alot of players in the day would resort to tc whoring flooding and other strats which are frowned upon. mostly looking at UC and AI for doing this. thats my understanding of it anyhow.
I played Mod DM all the time on AOC.
Just went Tanks and AT... Won alot of games just being a dick and massing.

But yeah, alot of people did bullshit strategies like TC whoring.
SlipKnoT wrote:swords are 30 u idiot.

taco
Civ Nazi

Post by taco »

P-51 wrote:I don't recall UC and AI ever playing mod dm.
it might b because it took u 5 years to learn mid dm brahhh. let the pros talk here <3

lightnessking.
Nemesis

Post by lightnessking. »

taco wrote:
it might b because it took u 5 years to learn mid dm brahhh. let the pros talk here <3
5 years, did he actually learned it? I doubt if he completed it.
You cannot make another post so soon after your last.

taco
Civ Nazi

Post by taco »

very good point u have there. i admit defeat to u lightningking.

lightnessking.
Nemesis

Post by lightnessking. »

Woot, victory is mine! :).

Captain Nemo
Global Moderator
Lobby Username: >Heros<=Captain Nemo*

Post by Captain Nemo »

d555killer wrote:this isnt about who is good at all setts vs one sett players, its a matter of which takes more skill in specific settings, some setts might be more difficult to learn than others but in the long wrong, it comes down to what people enjoy most which lets face it, on aoc i saw more mid sh and mid dm games then everything else, people didnt not play a sett because it was hard, people only played what they liked to play, in way early days i remember i was desent at mod dm and indy sh and indy dm and remember being in clans like the imperial guads for my indy skills, but i just fell in love with mid, i dont know why, but i think its awsome, and from 2004 and on all i played for the most part was mid dm, not because it was all i was good at but i just loved playing it. so there were some who just played dm, others played all setts, while others stuck with citybuilders... either way we are all players who play the same game. and in my opinion its more fun to play a sett that had more popularity despite skill levels,
yeah thats really just a bla bla post. We're basically just responding to the nonsense about mod dm being easier than mid dm
bosshaft: "A warm pussy is so much better than a dick! Trust me."

lightnessking.
Nemesis

Post by lightnessking. »

Which is completely not true.

P-51

Post by P-51 »

taco wrote:
lawl |2P n33b gg

Zeus

Post by Zeus »

I cant say i remember the 1v1s but i dont doubt you. I havent played the game regularly in a few years now, and like i said if u read my post i dont play no rules much especially not indy.
My post was about rules because u were talking shit about it maybe not you but they were. But yeah im alright at no rules it was never big when i started playing dm

Return to “EE: AoC Discussion”