Mid dm

Only for talk specifically about the Art of Conquest expansion.
D55
Lobby Username: D55

Re: Mid dm

Post by D55 »

yea u should definetly get the unlimed package that ak gave u the link for ee isnt what it use to be but a few of us still get some mid dm no rules games going. and if u come back we might just start hosting indy dm again :D

Remix
Lurker
Lobby Username: Remix

Post by Remix »

Yooooo

im down to start playing this again. Mid DM for sure

P-51
Epic Multiplayer Scenario Team Member
Xfire: p51p51
Lobby Username: «•FRMB•»P-51

Post by P-51 »

Remix!! I missed you mang welcome back.

Olinja
Intermediate Member

Post by Olinja »

i destroy all of you in Mid dm cept woody

Warrior_Kings Chase
Basic Member
Lobby Username: vg chase

Post by Warrior_Kings Chase »

lol lies oli and u wish!

taco
Civ Nazi
Lobby Username: taco

Post by taco »

mid dm reeally isnt hard... mod dm is where skill is at

lightnessking.
Nemesis

Post by lightnessking. »

taco wrote:mid dm reeally isnt hard... mod dm is where skill is at
True on that, I hosted a few mod dm's about a month ago, they were full but when I host one now, no one joins anymore.
You cannot make another post so soon after your last.

P-51

Post by P-51 »

lawl mod dm is weaksauce.

lightnessking.
Nemesis

Post by lightnessking. »

P-51 wrote:lawl mod dm is weaksauce.
rofl requires more skill than mid dm.
You cannot make another post so soon after your last.

D55

Post by D55 »

yea back in like 2002 all i played was indy mid and mod dm, in the end i had more fun with middle, mod just requires more things to be built all because of air.

Warrior_Kings Chase
Basic Member
Lobby Username: vg chase

Post by Warrior_Kings Chase »

lol taco and light says mod dm better than mid dm LOL. yeah right mod dm took no skill at all. all u have to do is build aa for air then rush infatry and get siege with range o man that so hard. mod dm wack played it for years very easy takes no skill. mid dm takes more skill that that shitty set. lol wait nvm dm is easy no matter wat lol.

taco
Civ Nazi
Lobby Username: taco

Post by taco »

building aa as aposed to mid building no aa? the game is MUCH faster, and require more then simply focusing on the 1 army u have. the speed increase in the game, and the added variables. honestly dont no how u think mid dm is harder, it has a total of meyb 5 civs knights, ca/ls, cata/lbs/xbows etc. and other retarded civs, i beat some guy by fwding cloaking outside his base. he was also considered a good mid dm player shame i dont have ss or remember his name. but the point of that was to say the skill of mid dm players is not of what mod dm players were. i wonder y when they arnt faced with anything terribly difficult build an army pick off units start a boom the end.

D55

Post by D55 »

if you beet someone in mid dm with cloaking then he is not a good mid dm player at all especially if its no rules,

mod dm has more civs then mid dm no rules but if you compare it with no seige, no seige consists combinations of any peirce shock or archer, mod dm hs many land unit combination as well but the only thing i dont like about mod dm is the mass bomber, it changes the element of the game completly, imagine what mod dm would be like if they did a no bomber rule just like people made a no seige rule in mid dm.

P-51

Post by P-51 »

All you do in mod dm is mass as many units possible and charge into the other army with no army control. If your get lucky enough to counter you win. Indy dm is garbage because there's only one civ and it takes a week to master. The only good dm setts are bronze through renaissance.

Omega
Administrator
Lobby Username: [-Ts-] Ωmega

Post by Omega »

d555killer wrote:if you beet someone in mid dm with cloaking then he is not a good mid dm player at all especially if its no rules,

mod dm has more civs then mid dm no rules but if you compare it with no seige, no seige consists combinations of any peirce shock or archer, mod dm hs many land unit combination as well but the only thing i dont like about mod dm is the mass bomber, it changes the element of the game completly, imagine what mod dm would be like if they did a no bomber rule just like people made a no seige rule in mid dm.
I think Taco's point regarding beating someone who was regarded as good using cloaking was that, at least from his opinion (and from mine given everything I've seen of AoC Mid DM, which is admittedly very little) that the player was utter shit and was yet considered good, suggesting a skill deficit in mid dm on AoC that casts doubt on judgments about the difficulty and complexity of certain settings from said skill-deficient players. It's the same principle as playing grenwar in the days when only complete scrubs identified as grenwar players, them constructing a hierarchy of only scrubs, and furthermore them as a group (or at least subgroups) making judgments about how other settings are easy, boring, stupid, or require no skill, et cetera. No one would take them seriously, because in those days anyone who was good at any other setting and understood the very basics of SH could hop in a gren game against the "top" players on the scrub hierarchy and win effortlessly.

As far as civilization combination, Modern DM has infinitely more (ok, so a slight exaggeration there, but the amount of civilization richness is at least 100x greater... which in EE terms is almost as close as you're going to get) than Mid DM no s/r.

The reason modern DM is so great IS the fact air is damn good. It forces land players to not suck at building properly AND quickly simultaneously, and forces them to be prepared for air, because not being prepared is unacceptable. This translates to expanding with AA/other buildings, and thus completely changes the nature of combat compared to say, Indy DM. Furthermore, because good players can build enough AA/etc. to keep a guy with exclusively bombers from running over him, people who are making bombers inevitably need to make ground as well, and then use their bombers as supplemental units for pushes or to defend against pushes.

Basically, the fact people can make air (bombers, specifically), is what causes modern DM to require such a diverse array of skills from players to win. Air typically prevents insta-kills of players in good team games, and prevents extreme aggression that isn't backed up by expansion later on. This in turn causes the game to shift to eco, micro, and building properly, quickly, and efficiently, in addition to having to properly balance your land army to win as opposed to just relying on superior numbers or somesuch.

Take away air from modern dm, and you're left with a slightly more interesting version of indy DM (due to harder counters among non-siege land units), which although does require pretty decent micro really isn't even really comparable to modern DM in terms of micro or the array of skills required. At the risk of oversimplifying indy DM, it's pretty much entirely scout-fire-dodge-repeat (scout doesn't even apply on AoC...) with your army/armies. You win by either being able to control far more armies than your opponent equally well, or you win by not screwing up and waiting for them to screw up majorly, or you win by your opponent simply being bad at the game and doing something really noob.

Return to “EE: AoC Discussion”