Mid dm

Only for talk specifically about the Art of Conquest expansion.
Ghost
Administrator
Lobby Username: [-Ts-] Ghost

Re: Mid dm

Post by Ghost »

Well those are simply strategies. RTS games have their own sorts of strategies, such as rush, boom, and slide, that are more comparable to what you pointed out.
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."
-•¤Lazy Bone¤•-: we had to double ghost or we had no chance
•§ITHLORD§•(surfer): artylery give no many domage on aa mobile since 3 day

Omega
Administrator
Lobby Username: [-Ts-] Ωmega

Post by Omega »

taco wrote:in reference to ur chess to paper sissors rock.
u have 3 kinds of players:
-Positional guy. A solid player with a great positional understanding. Maneuvering, finding the right spots for his pieces, creating minor weaknesses – that is his cup of coffee. Unless he blunders something, you will most probably end up being strangled by his powerful chess grasp. Example: Kramnik.
-tactical guy. Hot, impatient, “attack-attack-attack.” He likes sacrifices, open positions with lots of tactical shots in the air, double-edged games. Always aims for the king, often succeeds, sometimes ends up in a wrecked position and down material. Example: Chigorin.
-Calculator. A universal player who is a nerveless killer trying to find the best move in every position. He sees very many moves ahead and uses this to his advantage. Traps, tricky combinations, unpredictable moves. Oops, where did your knight go? The only problem for such people is that they are not chess engines. They still make mistakes, their calculations are not always perfect. Example: Kasparov

as you can see chess does relate to paper sissors rock, and those 3 famous chess players and the way in which they do further supports this notion.
1) Those are strategies, and the preferred strategies of the mentioned players. i.e. their playstyle
2) You seem to have omitted at least the following from your chess analogy, the defense-oriented player (i.e. Petrosian). You could also arguably say you omitted people obsessed with minor aspects of the game, like Janowski as well... Et cetera...

Plus, I'd say a lot of the distinctions in playstyle you mention really don't apply... For example, everyone good at chess, no matter what their playstyle, is thinking a lot of moves ahead before doing anything. Either way, the way playstyle is defined is pretty arbitrary--you can easily identify a bunch of different player types, and pick any number you want equal or smaller to than the number of identified types, then rationalize how it's really just n types becuase [insert types here] are really subsets of [insert other type here].

Furthermore, different playstyles existing has nothing to do with rock-paper-scissors countering, because even in games that are almost purely rock-paper-scissors those playstyles WILL emerge. For an OK example of this, imagine a Mod Dm on EE where players are only allowed to make leopard tanks, marines, and AT guns, and are not allowed to make towers or mine resources, and are all forced to use the same generic civilization. You're STILL going to see AT LEAST two different playstyles emerge... Defense-oriented ('the turtle') and offense-oriented ('the attacker'), and it's going to have NOTHING to do with the RPS balance relationship between the listed units. Furthermore, the playstyles that emerge don't necessarily mean that one person beats another although they can have bearing on it depending on the gametype (for example, imperial w/ resources to build walls at the start small islands medium map 1v1s with no reveal map or no rush... the turtle wins. ALWAYS.), they don't usually have such a strong influence in things, especially in good games, that they decide who wins.

taco
Civ Nazi
Lobby Username: taco

Post by taco »

i was well aware of the many flaws associated with the chess analogy, however peow failed to submit 1, and i decided it was interesting to find some sort of comparison between the 2. wasnt out there for the "your wrong factor" more along the lines of a "wow chess actually has strategies!" factor

peow130
Noob @ Everything

Post by peow130 »

I've completed my December Trolling quota.
Thanks for competing.
SlipKnoT wrote:swords are 30 u idiot.

Omega
Administrator
Lobby Username: [-Ts-] Ωmega

Post by Omega »

taco wrote:i was well aware of the many flaws associated with the chess analogy, however peow failed to submit 1, and i decided it was interesting to find some sort of comparison between the 2. wasnt out there for the "your wrong factor" more along the lines of a "wow chess actually has strategies!" factor
Fair enough!
peow130 wrote:I've completed my December Trolling quota.
Thanks for competing.
realtroll.png

peow130
Noob @ Everything

Post by peow130 »

Lawl
Yep
SlipKnoT wrote:swords are 30 u idiot.

D55
Lobby Username: D55

Post by D55 »

Man I miss me some mid dm, (wishing I had a time machine to go ten years in the past) *sigh*

P-51
Epic Multiplayer Scenario Team Member
Xfire: p51p51
Lobby Username: «•FRMB•»P-51

Post by P-51 »

Wow this thread is three years old?

Keep working on that time machine mang! I'll go back with you.

D55
Lobby Username: D55

Post by D55 »

sorry i saw this thread and just realized im getting old as fuckk

P-51

Post by P-51 »

I miss mid dm! By the end of the month I plan to be logging back into EE regularly.

Locodoco
Advanced Member
Lobby Username: _[eC]_Locodoco_

Post by Locodoco »

i will join AOC games soon
pody: eC .. is etc for what ?
_[eC]_Arntzen_: european cunts
pody: ahh .. ok bro
_[eC]_Arntzen_: np
_[eC]_Arntzen_: :)

DS-WILDGIRL-
Forum Noob

Post by DS-WILDGIRL- »

OMG lol the memories

DS-WILDGIRL-
Forum Noob

Post by DS-WILDGIRL- »

does anyone play mid dm still? ill get back into it if they do lol i might get back into it just for mid sh, its beeen sooooooooooooo long thoo, seeing some of your names brings me sooo many memories i love this game

P-51

Post by P-51 »

Hey Wild! Good to see a familiar mid dm player. All games on AoC these days are prearranged. Mid dm and mid sh definitely still happen but they need to be planned, usually on Discord. If you join the Discord I am in there as *ݤїꬷṽзямїйέ*, there are a few other mid players floating around who we could try to plan a time with.

Return to “EE: AoC Discussion”