Mid dm

Only for talk specifically about the Art of Conquest expansion.
D55
Lobby Username: D55

Re: Mid dm

Post by D55 »

well this is starting to get lame, lets take out all these facts about which sett takes more skill, mod dm has more unit combonations because of air and further age develpment, stuff like like that, it might be hard to master for some, although i disagree with that since i played both mid and mod dm for a good peroid of time back on ee but this can be settled with one thing, which one of these setts was played more on. i remember on ee there were a shit load of mid dm players much more than mod players back in 2002-2003, and then of course on aoc we saw the huge no seige shit which at first i thougt was the gayest idea ever entered in the game. Then i came to saw how no seige mid dm changes everything about the game as army managment becomes on a more rock paper scissers element then any other sett in the game. I know there is argument that mid dm no seige is easy, all the current players you all played may of sucked on the new lobby, but no offence to p 51 or chase, there are no more great mid dm players. You would have to go back to 2006 if you wanted to see how skillful someone could be in no seige. And yes mod dm blows in aoc, i use to love it in ee but it never got popular in aoc because of powers. So while mod dm has always been popular in ee, mid had way more popularity in both games for more time.

P-51
Epic Multiplayer Scenario Team Member
Xfire: p51p51
Lobby Username: «•FRMB•»P-51

Post by P-51 »

taco wrote:[quote="P-51" Then you obviously weren't playing with the best mid dm players.
odd that we can all rattle off at least 5 top mod dm player yet we struggle to name 1 mid dm? might say something about the skill level needed to play mid dm.[/quote]

Or just that none of the mid dm players are around anymore. I didn't even think 5 people actually played mod dm, who would the top 5 be?

taco
Civ Nazi
Lobby Username: taco

Post by taco »

my perception of the best mod dm players will b very wrong as i dont play ee anymore, but in saying that u asked for good mod dm players heres mine, ec(take any or either it really doesnt matter) omega, ghost, nemo many all sett players include mod dm in thier games. im sure u can make up the extra 1 just off ur own head, or take it from ec, who are the good mid dm players, those i just named would rival them.

Warrior_Kings Chase
Basic Member
Lobby Username: vg chase

Post by Warrior_Kings Chase »

Captain Nemo wrote:
Warrior_Kings Chase wrote:
Ghost wrote:Chase, as much as I hate to admit it, Nemo's still probably got a leg up on you in SH and TL lol
lies. lol. yeah ik nemo is good. but i dont think he could crush me at it. i could put up a fight. but he plays alot on eec. i play aoc. well mid sh on both. but tl probely not mcuh in it. its fun but gets boring after awhile. sorry i am drinking.
do you have a point? basically the only thing u play is mid sh, and you're quick enough to say all dm is noobish?
um agian your wrong. i dont only play mid sh. wel now i do. becuase taht the only thing hosted or p2s wow. um back in the day use to play mod dm mid dm mod tl sh mid sh p2s. i pretty much play any set. SO YOUR WRONG! um no i didnt say it was noobish. i sayed it was easy to play dm in anyset.

P-51

Post by P-51 »

Yeah at this point nobody is as good of a player as they were back in the day so its kind of stupid to try to compete against each other anymore.

Captain Nemo
Global Moderator
Lobby Username: >Heros<=Captain Nemo*

Post by Captain Nemo »

I've played DM on eec since 2003 and from 2005 - today Mod DM has been the more popular, though never a very popular sett. Popularity has nothing to do with skill level though.

Chase:
If u played mod dm back in the day would u care to show me how u play that? cause I bet u can't even remotely play the sett.

P-51:
Just name one of the good players active today and name a few of the great ones back in the day. Just give us some names will ya?
bosshaft: "A warm pussy is so much better than a dick! Trust me."

P-51

Post by P-51 »

There are none today. Mid dm isn't played anymore in case you haven't noticed.
Some of the best no siege/religion players I have played with were Chrome and Tornado. For no rules you would have to ask D5 because when I played (2006-2008), everyone was almost equal at mid dm no rules and it was no longer a competitive sett.

Captain Nemo
Global Moderator
Lobby Username: >Heros<=Captain Nemo*

Post by Captain Nemo »

and why do u think they were all equal?
bosshaft: "A warm pussy is so much better than a dick! Trust me."

P-51

Post by P-51 »

Because mid dm no rules was replaced by no siege/religion and all the good no rules players either left or migrated.

ben55

Post by ben55 »

I beat Tornado after five games of playing middle dm. I believe Tool was a witness to this so was Abstract. We played "no siege/no religion" if that matters at all. Tornado is a good friend of mine and a mod tl player as well, and told me the strategies, but after five games of dicking around with him and other middle dm players we did played a 1v1. I won; I thought it was a fluke so we played again I won again then another and I lost then one more and I won 3-1. Granted I did win one of those games by knight spamming on a weird generated small map. Either way it wasn't that hard to pick up there was about three viable strategies to pick from. Once you had the ideal civ it just came down to production and micro, and micro is a universal skill that you learn from all settings, so it didn't take long to pick up on it. I hate when people use x sett requires more micro than y sett to explain difficulty. Some setts require different types I would argue Mod Dm is more about macro than micro while liga is more about micro than macro. I think which setting is more difficult is subjective; I see great liga players who are garbage at p2n and I wonder how? Because to me p2n is the easiest sett on this game. I don't think the skill level of the competition is subjective though and I believe mod dm had much greater depth of competition than middle dm. Creating a tougher setting to "master" since the bar was raised so high from all the competition

Just my 2 cents.
"Nothing is impossible, the word itself says "I'm possible"!"

taco
Civ Nazi
Lobby Username: taco

Post by taco »

well said, on another note im the 100th post on this topic

Warrior_Kings Chase
Basic Member
Lobby Username: vg chase

Post by Warrior_Kings Chase »

Chase:
If u played mod dm back in the day would u care to show me how u play that? cause I bet u can't even remotely play the sett. quote]

yes i would like to show u. i am pretty sure u dont even know who i am. nor ahve u ever played with me once. so maybe in your mind i suck at mod dm. well that your opion. i played probely for a year or maybe more. agian i said i played it back in the day! so wats that like idk something years ago. i ahvent played this set in this new server at all nor do i play anymore.

lightnessking.
Nemesis

Post by lightnessking. »

Warrior_Kings Chase wrote:. so maybe in your mind i suck at mod dm.
Not just his mind...
You cannot make another post so soon after your last.

Zeus

Post by Zeus »

ben55 wrote:I beat Tornado after five games of playing middle dm. I believe Tool was a witness to this so was Abstract. We played "no siege/no religion" if that matters at all. Tornado is a good friend of mine and a mod tl player as well, and told me the strategies, but after five games of dicking around with him and other middle dm players we did played a 1v1. I won; I thought it was a fluke so we played again I won again then another and I lost then one more and I won 3-1. Granted I did win one of those games by knight spamming on a weird generated small map. Either way it wasn't that hard to pick up there was about three viable strategies to pick from. Once you had the ideal civ it just came down to production and micro, and micro is a universal skill that you learn from all settings, so it didn't take long to pick up on it. I hate when people use x sett requires more micro than y sett to explain difficulty. Some setts require different types I would argue Mod Dm is more about macro than micro while liga is more about micro than macro. I think which setting is more difficult is subjective; I see great liga players who are garbage at p2n and I wonder how? Because to me p2n is the easiest sett on this game. I don't think the skill level of the competition is subjective though and I believe mod dm had much greater depth of competition than middle dm. Creating a tougher setting to "master" since the bar was raised so high from all the competition

Just my 2 cents.
When Tornado began playing mod tl, he wasnt nearly at his best in midd dm. P-51 was talking about earlier before tornado began expanding setts. And not everyone was equal at no rules at that time, just no one played it. At the time p51 described the best out of who was still playing, in no order, would be d5 aro ak47 and then it would varie between a few other older players who still played.
To show you the skill level...if you want to compare it, which the two setts should never be compared. I will probaly put up a decent fight against you in mod dm..but you will probably win. In midd dm with rules, i will play you 10 times 1v1, and i guarantee i win all 10 times. I will even tell you my strategy so you could try to counter it. At a certain point in your playing ability, the sett turns from mere civs and strats to actuall army control. I could beat you most likely even if you completely countered me..as me, and d5 and many people who actually know how to truely play the sett have done many times.
In midd no rules, i will bet money on d5 beating you 50 times 1v1 without you winning one game. ANY day.
And to even say mod dm was more popular than midd dm is a joke. Very few people played mod dm as their MAIN sett. Like you said all sett players play it often, as a side sett. Mod dm games were very rarely hosted in the 2000's, rare as in the occurance of midd dm games which in the early 2000's were hosted every minute, along with sh and other setts. Modd dm is fun from time to time but theres barely anyone who considered it their main sett.
Point is your top 5 mod dmers who you listed( which u only named 3), are the best playing now out of no one. Matter remains that even if u were the best mid dmer right now because no one plays, if any of the great midd dmers which i can name 30 who were really good at a point, if any of them came back at any given day now adays they would be immediately one of the best playing now. Because all these people who you are comparing the set today suck.
Edit: And to be completely honest, you guys are arguing with people who have no say. The only realy people on here who have any say in an agrument about mastering set, as for our side, would be d5 and me, and probably p51. Sphinx can too, at leasst for no rules cause hes beast at every dm with no rules lol.
But no offense, i mean that, you guys are arguing with chase, and taking his 'admittance to defeat' wrong. No Offense again..but chase has not now, nor never mastered midd dm sett. He was in warrior kings, which was always the worst dm clan around, and it has been around forever. To show why he can't talk, i remember winning a 3v1 clan war against wk when spitfire(their leader) was in the game. Obviously these people mastered nothing. They simply played the sett. If you want to know about truely mastering a set, play against people who have, or talk to them. Your talking to walls, no one is around anymore whos great at midd dm. end of story.

Omega
Administrator
Lobby Username: [-Ts-] Ωmega

Post by Omega »

Zeus wrote:To show you the skill level...if you want to compare it, which the two setts should never be compared. I will probaly put up a decent fight against you in mod dm..but you will probably win. In midd dm with rules, i will play you 10 times 1v1, and i guarantee i win all 10 times. I will even tell you my strategy so you could try to counter it. At a certain point in your playing ability, the sett turns from mere civs and strats to actuall army control. I could beat you most likely even if you completely countered me..as me, and d5 and many people who actually know how to truely play the sett have done many times.
In midd no rules, i will bet money on d5 beating you 50 times 1v1 without you winning one game. ANY day.
You're not showing anything, you're making flat assertions backed up with nothing, not even an ATTEMPT to back them up with anything. Well, I take that back, you did talk about civilizations versus army control, which I completely agree with, however, you did so implying that mid dm is about army control whereas mod dm is about civilizations. That is patently absurd, and anyone who has played modern dm knows this.

The army control required in middle DM is very basic, and revolves almost entirely around basic positioning and targeting. The army control required in Modern DM is quite advanced. In modern DM you have basic positioning and targeting, but you have them to a much greater degree, and more importantly you have manual targeting with attack grounds (and manual targeting of bomber targets), manually spacing your units for optimal distribution, et cetera.
Zeus wrote:And to even say mod dm was more popular than midd dm is a joke. Very few people played mod dm as their MAIN sett. Like you said all sett players play it often, as a side sett. Mod dm games were very rarely hosted in the 2000's, rare as in the occurance of midd dm games which in the early 2000's were hosted every minute, along with sh and other setts. Modd dm is fun from time to time but theres barely anyone who considered it their main sett.
I'm pretty sure your experience on this matter applies only to AoC, because, of all of the top allsett DM players on EEC, I can only name a few that didn't claim modern DM as their main setting. Furthermore, Modern DM was quite popular, and I could name at least 100 players who were quite good at it.
Zeus wrote:Point is your top 5 mod dmers who you listed( which u only named 3), are the best playing now out of no one. Matter remains that even if u were the best mid dmer right now because no one plays, if any of the great midd dmers which i can name 30 who were really good at a point, if any of them came back at any given day now adays they would be immediately one of the best playing now. Because all these people who you are comparing the set today suck.
That isn't really a point, because the same is true of Modern DM. Except in the case of Modern DM, the number of players who could instantly come back and be one of the best is a lot higher.

Return to “EE: AoC Discussion”