Game Variants

Only for talk specifically about the Art of Conquest expansion.
bradleybrand
Novice Member
Xfire: ogel123
Lobby Username: bradleybrand

Game Variants

Post by bradleybrand »

So I noticed there are different "game variants" of:
  • Tournament
  • Standard
  • Hyperactive
  • Extreme
  • Hybrid
Can someone explain these to me please?
B. Brand

Ghost
Administrator
Lobby Username: [-Ts-] Ghost

Re: Game Variants

Post by Ghost »

Tournament and Standard are the original, official game variants. The last three I personally am not familiar with. They are new in the NeoEE patch.

Tournament is generally for quicker games, and Standard is for longer games. However, that's not to say that you can play slowly in Standard variant games, that no Standard variant games will end quickly, or that you can't have a long Tournament variant game. Pre2Nano/Pre2Space games use Standard variant, regardless of map type or starting resources. Pretty much all other common multiplayer settings use Tournament variant.

I don't know if there is a comprehensive list of differences anywhere, but here's the ones I can think of, using Tournament as the basis:
  • Epoch research cost is extremely expensive in Standard mode when compared to Tournament mode (e.g. advancing to Stone age costs 1122 food in Standard, but only 170 food in Tournament). Cost from one age to the next is more exponential in Tournament mode.
  • Resource gathering speed is slower in Standard.
  • Maximum morale gained from houses is higher in Standard. In Tournament, Town Centers can provide up to 2 bars of morale, and Capitols can provide up to 4. In Standard, they can provide up to 4 and 6, respectively.
  • Buildings have more hit points in Standard (or, if that's not true, the Ishtar Gates wonder provides a significantly higher hit points bonus to buildings in Standard)
  • I'm pretty sure Wonders are more expensive in Standard (memory is hazy here).
  • Probably some other stuff I'm forgetting or never really noticed.
This post has a recording of a Hyperactive mode game: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=10953

It seems that you start with 4 cits and a settlement, making you unable to create more cits. However, the cits gather resources EXTREMELY fast.
"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."
-•¤Lazy Bone¤•-: we had to double ghost or we had no chance
•§ITHLORD§•(surfer): artylery give no many domage on aa mobile since 3 day

bradleybrand
Novice Member
Xfire: ogel123
Lobby Username: bradleybrand

Re: Game Variants

Post by bradleybrand »

Ghost wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 12:06 am
Tournament and Standard are the original, official game variants. The last three I personally am not familiar with. They are new in the NeoEE patch.

Tournament is generally for quicker games, and Standard is for longer games. However, that's not to say that you can play slowly in Standard variant games, that no Standard variant games will end quickly, or that you can't have a long Tournament variant game. Pre2Nano/Pre2Space games use Standard variant, regardless of map type or starting resources. Pretty much all other common multiplayer settings use Tournament variant.

I don't know if there is a comprehensive list of differences anywhere, but here's the ones I can think of, using Tournament as the basis:
  • Epoch research cost is extremely expensive in Standard mode when compared to Tournament mode (e.g. advancing to Stone age costs 1122 food in Standard, but only 170 food in Tournament). Cost from one age to the next is more exponential in Tournament mode.
  • Resource gathering speed is slower in Standard.
  • Maximum morale gained from houses is higher in Standard. In Tournament, Town Centers can provide up to 2 bars of morale, and Capitols can provide up to 4. In Standard, they can provide up to 4 and 6, respectively.
  • Buildings have more hit points in Standard (or, if that's not true, the Ishtar Gates wonder provides a significantly higher hit points bonus to buildings in Standard)
  • I'm pretty sure Wonders are more expensive in Standard (memory is hazy here).
  • Probably some other stuff I'm forgetting or never really noticed.
This post has a recording of a Hyperactive mode game: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=10953

It seems that you start with 4 cits and a settlement, making you unable to create more cits. However, the cits gather resources EXTREMELY fast.
Thank you for the reply. :)
B. Brand

Return to “EE: AoC Discussion”