AoC's Nostalgia

Only for talk specifically about the Art of Conquest expansion.
lightnessking.
Nemesis

Re: AoC's Nostalgia

Post by lightnessking. »

wasn't jossos working on an rts?
You cannot make another post so soon after your last.

Icestorm2
Intermediate Member

Post by Icestorm2 »

Clouds wrote:I noticed Age of Empires 4 releases sometime late 2018. Seeing as RTS is now dead and the age of mobas and grind complexes is today’s new norm. I am interested to see how much effort and how much of today’s video game culture of grinding out points makes it into today’s RTS games. Are any of you planning on buying aoe4.
AoE3 really started that shit back in 05-06 if I remember right. It was like a combination of grinding out bonuses for certain civs and being able to spawn extra units or something.

RTS didn't really die as a genre, it was really just the EE-style of multiplayer base-building games on a random map that died. I think a lot of that had to do with major publishers swallowing up smaller studios back in 06-08 and pushing for games on the console market with PC ports as a secondary consideration, RTS games just never really worked on consoles. Among RTS fans there was a demand for realism and immersion in single-player too, and most RTS titles are bought for their single-player features. EE's style of play didn't really match up with those demands as technology improved. The genre really split into grand-strategy style games like Total War and 'real-time tactical' games like Company of Heroes.

I don't think we'll get another game like EE unless it's through a start-up company that's using crowdfunding services, even then it probably wouldn't turn out right (or at all).

signal
Forum Noob
Lobby Username: †Hermetica_signal

Post by signal »

Icestorm2 wrote:At some point (April or March I'm not sure), Seizmic, Answer and I caught JT online in the lobby and decided to troll and berate him.
Highlight of the story right here

gla_jo
Novice Member
Lobby Username: buttfreek

Post by gla_jo »

This post made me so nostalgic.

I'm gonna be honest with ya'll, I've lived a pretty privileged life but memories playing EE with ya'll were maybe the very best of times.

The sense of community was amazing, so many good personalities.

Icestorm2
Intermediate Member

Post by Icestorm2 »

Honestly, if it wasn't for MPA I think I probably would've quit sometime in 2004, that played a big role in tying everything together. According to Muppet we were the reason it failed and cost him thousands of dollars too.

gla_jo
Novice Member
Lobby Username: buttfreek

Post by gla_jo »

Icestorm2 wrote:Honestly, if it wasn't for MPA I think I probably would've quit sometime in 2004, that played a big role in tying everything together. According to Muppet we were the reason it failed and cost him thousands of dollars too.
Warrman's familiy pics. LOL.

purdeous
Forum Noob

Post by purdeous »

I remember these names man, mid was the spot for sure, great depiction of aoc meta

Return to “EE: AoC Discussion”