A reminiscence. Memoires of Silence.

Talk about anything EE related and doesn't belong in another forum. Gameplay, chit-chat, or any questions you have -- it all belongs here.
Silence
Xfire: donthavethiseither

A reminiscence. Memoires of Silence.

Post by Silence »

Every now and then I open my steam library, scroll through the countless games I used to play.
One always attracts me more than others. Empire earth. Let me tell you the story of a young kid who fell in love.

I still remember, I think I was around the age of 9-10 walking through one of those CD stores, you know when music was bought and not downloaded.
In the back there were also some videogames, not many of them but the big shots. Next to the big shots there were some cheaper games all dumped into this huge metal wired box. My family wasn't what we would call rich so I wasn't all into videogames except for Age of Empires, which I had gotten for my birthday the year before. Now you might think, Silence I thought this was about Empire earth and not about Age of Empires. It is, it is I swear. So lo and behold, 9 year old me had another birthday and we were in that store, I went through the cheap box of games and suddenly I picked up Empire earth. I wasn't too bright when I was a kid and I immediately thought "Hey another age of empires game!". I pulled at the shirt of my uncle and asked if I could get this game for my birthday. I went home, started the game up. Nothing. The game wouldn't run on my old crappy computer.

The End

Not not really. Fast forward about 2-3 years.

When I went to highschool my parents passed me on their laptop from work. In the summer I never really did anything. I was bored and looking around the house for stuff to do. I found Empire Earth and decided to give it another go. And my god was I pleasantly surprised about how much fun this game was. This was about the last year the EE servers were up.

I remember playing mid sh only with longbows because I thought, why bother with cavs, lowbows have way better stats if u think about it mathematically. Boy was I wrong.
I remember meeting friends and losing friends.
I remember skylar, lacrimosa, I remember lacri his brother, forgot his name though.
I remember so many people all by ingame personality but none of the names.
I remember playing custom games, tower defence, the maps made by hitler, that one map where you had to micro like shit where you had 3 v 3's and you had to get 100 kills to get the next units and people just camped the hills above the spawn point.
I remember exploring the world of funsetz and the community around that.
I remember p2s, I remember baron taking me in and teaching me the game from the ground up. I'll never forget you baron.
I remember playing the game during the day, during the evening, during the night. I remember getting in trouble cause I couldn't just "save" the game to go eat downstairs.
I remember when I got picked last and I remember the first time I got picked first.
I remember spending countless hours building my civ and exploring new strategies.
I remember so much and so little at the same time.

I'm 21 now and sometimes I remember.

PeLlE
Nemesis
Xfire: thepelie
Lobby Username: [-Ts-] Pelie

Re: A reminiscence. Memoires of Silence.

Post by PeLlE »

Nice story! Well, that did sound wrong I guess. But really, it has probably been somewhat similiar for plenty of players. I don't particularely remember you, but we might have met. I've forgotten so many names myself as well.
dreamwalker: i already clearly stated for all the english people that i dont play here
eeralf: ======???????????
eeralf: dont undersstand say it in street language
dreamwalker: fam mans already said im not gwarning wid yo shit on dis ting

P-51
Epic Multiplayer Scenario Team Member
Xfire: p51p51
Lobby Username: «•FRMB•»P-51

Post by P-51 »

Many of us feel the same way. This game dominated my life from 7th to 11th grade. I remember being pissed that I didn't start playing online until 2005, even though I got the game two years sooner. Now it feels like I never played without MP.

Part of what EE did best, which I never fully appreciated at the time because it was all I knew of, was custom civs and random map generation. This added so much depth to the game and I still can't figure out why nobody has tried to make a new game based on this framework. Every RTS these days is faction-based, usually with a fantasy theme, and has a short list of maps that, once memorized, lead to stagnant strategic options and creates a huge learning curve for newer players.

Silence

Post by Silence »

Wow you are actually so right, I've never thought about it like that. But the random map generation was great! That really made the game so much better.

lightnessking.
Nemesis

Post by lightnessking. »

lacri's brother is eisregen ^^
You cannot make another post so soon after your last.

lightnessking.
Nemesis

Post by lightnessking. »

And yea it would be great if p2s was back alive, with the co clan (please elmer fud, we miss your lagg.)
You cannot make another post so soon after your last.

Mythos
Novice Member
Lobby Username: Mythos

Post by Mythos »

Nice Story :D would be even better if Mythos was mentioned in the plot :lol: ...jk

I just thought about EE and how great it was and suddenly im searching through the forum, hoping that
there are still people out there playing the game...Happy to see that there are recent posts and the game
is still not totally forgotten :D

Imo I still remember many players and thinking back I enjoyed playing with them so freaking much. Too bad
that EE's prime is over =( . I wish I could turn back time to the good old days, just to play a few more games
with the people I spent lots and lots of time with in my youth :D .

Greetings from Germany,

Mythos

Silence

Post by Silence »

Mythos wrote:Nice Story :D would be even better if Mythos was mentioned in the plot :lol: ...jk

I just thought about EE and how great it was and suddenly im searching through the forum, hoping that
there are still people out there playing the game...Happy to see that there are recent posts and the game
is still not totally forgotten :D

Imo I still remember many players and thinking back I enjoyed playing with them so freaking much. Too bad
that EE's prime is over =( . I wish I could turn back time to the good old days, just to play a few more games
with the people I spent lots and lots of time with in my youth :D .

Greetings from Germany,

Mythos
I havent forgotten about you mythy! I just didnt actively remember you :P

Return to “EE General Discussion”