Drexmod 3: Upcoming features

Talk about anything EE related and doesn't belong in another forum. Gameplay, chit-chat, or any questions you have -- it all belongs here.
giord
Forum Noob
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:15 am
Lobby Username: giord

Re: Drexmod 3: Upcoming features

Post by giord »

In my opinion, it's fair to claim that drexmod shouldn't be automatically enabled because it's a mod, not the original game. One solution can be this: you need to put in the title a keyword like "-DXM". In this way the players knows when the host has drexmod enabled.

I understand that more experienced players may don't appreciate the fact that drexmod simplify EE mechanics, but they should take into account that they won't find enough old-school players to make a "no-drexmod" game whenever they want. This community is not big enough. And you can't force new players to play without drexmod or some of its features. I'm a 2020 newcomer and i would prefer to stop playing EE than leave out drexmod.

Just to sumarize, I think that yukon can develop whatever feature he wants, but at the same time every player looking for a game should be able to recognize who uses drexmod and who don't.

User avatar
owned
Intermediate Member
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:46 pm

Re: Drexmod 3: Upcoming features

Post by owned »

giord wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:21 am
Just to sumarize, I think that yukon can develop whatever feature he wants, but at the same time every player looking for a game should be able to recognize who uses drexmod and who don't.
That statement would result in all the older players revolting against the mod and riot it. So it would end up in a terrible community split.

Why not just adjust things and try to make it more fair for both sides? Why try to go the hard way and let us choose between live with it or don't play with it at all.

Are suggestions by the community not a good thing? It seems like you feel offended and don't want to risk any changes to the mod at all.
- øWñEÐ.

Lancelot5
Full Member
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 3:26 pm
Lobby Username: Lancelot5

Re: Drexmod 3: Upcoming features

Post by Lancelot5 »

Nice to see some replys here !
owned wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:31 pm
giord wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:21 am
Just to sumarize, I think that yukon can develop whatever feature he wants, but at the same time every player looking for a game should be able to recognize who uses drexmod and who don't.
That statement would result in all the older players revolting against the mod and riot it. So it would end up in a terrible community split.

Why not just adjust things and try to make it more fair for both sides? Why try to go the hard way and let us choose between live with it or don't play with it at all.

Are suggestions by the community not a good thing? It seems like you feel offended and don't want to risk any changes to the mod at all.
See it here the same way Owned does. The solutions yukon told us ingame "lol play -nozoom" or "make -nohud" is not a solution at all.
It really ends up in splitting the community. I also said in past to kaz and some others too that I was kind of worried about that zoom when it first appeared. Its really like if you make changes towards the game that defently affect the gameplay and not all players were included it will always end up into a splitted communtiy. I saw that already in past comming towards us. Player now just realzie it since more and more have installed that mod and have to deal with the outcome it brings to game. In positive and negative ways. So main thing is not about removing the mod completly. Its just about that certain things should be adjusted so that both sides (no mod, yes mod) can deal with it and all play same standard. That's why i tried to make suggestions which included both perspectives.

And sry to say it that whay girod but your post compared to alucards post lacks a bit on knowledge. Please tell us what you like about the mod, how it improves the gameplay and to what dreege you could live with changes/adjustments.

owned wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:08 pm
The last couple of months and weeks I thought alot about this and now I thought it might be time to write down my point of view.

I now decided to take a break / stop playing Empire Earth. About the last months I lost every last bit fun of this game unfortunately. I don't want to blame yukon directly, he is a nice guy and had some cool ideas.

Unfortunately the playerbase we have in pre made this game for me personally totally unplayable with the ranking system. I have been playing pre (90% of my time, rarely other sets) since 2011 now and it was always a place for me to come and have some fun to play with my friends here.

Since we have the ranked games, alot of new faces, mostly smurfs have joined our "little" community. I have been griefend and trolled over a long period of time now, because people want me to lose points. I rarely can play 1-2 "normal" games on a weekend. I have been telling this to yukon over and over again, that smurfs, unknown and ghosters shouldnt be allowed to play because they ruin and troll. But he keeps in fact supporting that kind of behaviour.

Sadly, there are no other pre games on weekend anymore besides of the ranked ones on evening, which was my main time to play.

Damn that not nice to hear. I hope it´s not a "short-curcuit reaction 8) " and well thought. You top player and don't think needed to delete your YT-Channel etc. remind me of last days of Manni :roll: Maybe u took it there a bit to serious. But well i can understand that this trolling and smurfing can be quite annoying. Had to deal with that in past too. Personally I dont care about that anymore. I just ignore these kind of players. Its best to deal with it since trollers they just lives from your reactions. Ignoring is best choice but defently affect new players (will be judged as smurfs/trolls) always wondering why communtiy is so toxic or noone reply and help them. There were already some discussions about it and I prefered to disable smurfing but seemed that some really need it to troll or to hide themself from reputation loss :roll: (like it matters, everyone has it ups and downs) when they playing on a lower standard than usual.
Problem with ranked here is that only few players can host it. So you can't kick obvious trollers.
We need everyone being able to host ranked!


There is so much more stuff to write about the mod but as long yukon not reply here.... (he said read already)

giord
Forum Noob
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:15 am
Lobby Username: giord

Re: Drexmod 3: Upcoming features

Post by giord »

And sry to say it that whay girod but your post compared to alucards post lacks a bit on knowledge. Please tell us what you like about the mod, how it improves the gameplay and to what dreege you could live with changes/adjustments.
1) I really enjoy the zoom, because it allows you to split and control multiple armies much quicker. It also gives a larger view of the map, so you can orientate yourself very quickly.
2) I really enjoy the HUD, because it gives you an idea of the strategy your enemy is using. I use the HUD to see if a rush was worth the effort and to estimate the enemy economy or army size. I use the HUD also to evaluate if I need a strategy switch.
Btw, you should notice that the HUD is built-in in similar and more recent RTS, like Rise of Nations and Age of Empire.
3) I really enjoy the ranking system. You should notice that it's not necessary to make the matchmaking that forces your position and your team. When I host ranked games, I just use /rt or /qt (it's like /mm but it doesn't kick anyone to make a swap slot), and then I allow players to swap slot or adjust teams if they want to. If the points are balanced it's nice, the match will be automatically classified as ranked. If the points are not balanced, no problem, the match will automatically be classified as unranked and we can play with the teams we chose. The most important thing is not to gain ranking points, but to have fun, in my opinion.

In the first two points I stated, you can see that for someone drexmod is an advantage, for someone else it's a disadvantage. But in the end this is drexmod, not the official NeoEE mod. yukon is free to develop any functionality he wants and players should know who uses drexmod and who doesn't. In yukon shoes, I would develop functionalities that make EE community growing, and imo he's doing the right thing, overall.

In the end, I also want to give my personal opinion on EE lack of functionalities, just to explain a bit more what I said in the previous message:
I understand that more experienced players may don't appreciate the fact that drexmod simplify EE mechanics, but they should take into account that they won't find enough old-school players to make a "no-drexmod" game whenever they want. This community is not big enough. And you can't force new players to play without drexmod or some of its features. I'm a 2020 newcomer and i would prefer to stop playing EE than leave out drexmod.
My opinion is that this game lacks in functionalities quite badly because it's from 2001.
Lack of functionalities for EE that hurts my soul while playing:
- I can't select more than 70 units (more or less) with a double click.
- Citizens and boats all selectable with tab, what a mess when I'm pre pocket or in island games.
- Walling is one of the most frustrating things in EE.
- Making army from multiple buildings: in grenwar, before producing grenadiers from 3 barracks I need to check if my food/iron is 96/96... guys, COME ON... just because EE can't make decent production queues.
- Minimap low resolution.

It's mesmerizing to see how old-school players have dealt whit this lack of functionalities. But as I said, don't expect that new players want to overcome these issues as well. We don't have 10 or 20 years to train like some of you, we just want to have fun and be competitive, if possible. If drexmod (or any other mod) will be able to fix any of these issues, I will use it asap. I hope I made my point even clearer.

P.S. My nickname is giord (like jordan), not girod :tongue:

_DavE_
Advanced Member
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:23 am
Lobby Username: _[eC]_DavE_

Re: Drexmod 3: Upcoming features

Post by _DavE_ »

Giord, You say we should not expect new players to have to deal with the short comings of this game. Allow me to flip this round, why should us older players who have played the game for years put up with these new moderations?

The HUD has taken away the element of surprise. If you're concerned about what strategy your enemy is doing, then you scout them.. that is a BIG part of any rts game, and that requires SKILL... You scout them, and gather as much information you can about them to decide how you should adjust your game.

You don't hear about the "lesser" players, or "newer" players coming in with their suggestions or orders like other games such as AOE2, and SC2, so why do we have it here?

I like yukon as a person, but what on earth gives him the right to come to our game and start making all these adjustments splitting as we have already said a very small community?
As you said previously, his alterations should be aimed to bringing the community together, however right now they're dividing the community.

And as others have already suggested, he seems to feel like we're attacking him directly when we are simply putting our point of views across, which he actually said at the beginning of this thread, suggestions, thoughts, and any ideas for improvement are welcomed.

Well, here they are.

PS. The mod is not making the game better from a competitive point of view

Also, why on earth there is a ranking system surround TEAM games is beyond me... No one cares about having a high ranking in team games, because anyone can beat anyone in team games.... key phrase T-E-A-M.

=IA=
Forum Noob
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:51 pm

Re: Drexmod 3: Upcoming features

Post by =IA= »

Zoom
Lancelot5 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:43 am
I like that you have increased the zoom. For newer Screen and proper resolution the old viewscaling was terrible. I think it really brought serveral players back and made the game look a bit "nicer". But the range of scaling u offered everyone totally changed the EE gameplay in a bad way. On max zoomscale u litteraly see everything that happens in and arround your base with no effort at all. (some even see borders of the map and know if its 1 way in pre, see hills etc) Without drexmod it was you either get a signal or you had to look on minimap for enemy colors and than you actually had to scroll there to see what is it. Sometimes maybe just 1-2 units (so u wasted time on checking that) other time maybe a pro (was usefull to check that) or maybe some bigger army. So your opponent was spending time on creating these kind of actions towards you and you had to react which hopefully cost you even more time (in his view) -> Interactive Gameplay. Now you lliterally see everything, can easy defend / check -> opponent wont invest time on creating "drama" because his odds for doing something usefull got worse -> Noninteractive Gameplay.

Solution: Reduce the zoom to max 10-20 for all. Needs to be checked what is most acceptable for all. For Observers it still can be 30-40 so it wont affect records/streams.
alucard45 wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:35 am
1. The Zoom camera in game
It was obviously a great idea actually you can chang your camera to see from a higher perspective, but here it's why it's wrong:

Actually average players are able to see everything around without a real effort of watching what happen, so these players don't need to scout, they don't need reflex at all especially in late epoch with sieges and bombers

Here is a great exemple of Bogdan in his stream using a higher camera persepective in Island game, and i can tell this is very trash, allow you to see every siege that is pushing and bombers who is coming, what skill there is left in this? moving the camera to watch all around was a part of skill from before, not it's ain't anymore, uhhh!!

Bogdan screen: https://www.twitch.tv/bogdanx94/video/589504965
Fully agree on that part of both. The zoom thing is a great thing especially for todays screen resolutions. However i also think it should be cutted down to 20 max. or something like that. If you play on 30+ or even 40 in some sets like islands or pre you just see too much off the map which is bringing disbalance to the gameplay and it is just unfair to the other player that doesn't use it.

HUD
alucard45 wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:35 am
I don't think hud is affecting any other set than Liga, and Pre, i will talk especially about P2N game in this one so here is why this is wrong to have the HUD on in P2N game.

When starting a teamgame you have actually to scout your wing, and your pocket, what they will probably be doing, double club? pro rush on pocket? or wing? Actually this is a pain in the ass because if you want to do a double club pocket or a pro rush, your ennemy will check mainly what score you got in the HUD and he is knowing pretty quick at f11 3-4 what you are doing (higher score on pocket = prophet rush or double club) this is why it's canceling the strategy of surprising your ennemy at all.

Actually you will say me, the hud has no importance because we can always scoot you, so here it's why it's a complete false, just imagine some creativity in my pocket play, i will start as a pocket club, but i will make my barrack in an unknow location (or even temple in a stupid place for pro rush), so when your dog or club is going to run in my town, there will be no barrack, even if i'm seeing your dog pretty quick, i will take off my cit on iron and make sure your dog won't come back to scout again (i would have mainly tower on iron), so how you will be able to know if i'm a double club when you can't check the Score in the HUD and the epoch? i can be massing club like this for a great f11 10-12 and sent them all to attack pocket while my wing distract my wing by rushing in.

that is actually some gameplay that can be done with the HUD "OFF"

Also just a last point when it's a 1 Way map in P2N, if you are the wing the is closed and you want to go Stone Epoch to land some sneaky army on pocket, your ennmy wing is going to check the HUD Epoch and will know that you are going to land in a few F11, what's the matter of the surprise here?
I agree on this as well, HUD is affecting the gameplay big time and imho in a bad way, especially in 1v1 when you see you’re ahead instead of scouting or keep citz count, you see when they wait hero when the score stagnates (especially mid and grenwar). In Liga you see when they go TC strat you see when they age up and you can react to it, in P2N you see who is getting tribbed with seeing who is aging up fastest, which you wouldn’t know without HUD, you see if Pocket goes club or not. It makes you a worse player imo, there is a reason it isnt used in Tournaments :lol: . Imo it should be deactivated as default option.

Ranking system - trolling / banning
Lancelot5 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:43 am
I really like the system u have created there. For me best and most usefull part of your mod. Not Personally. Idc about the points but communitywise I think it´s awesome. It defently creates some attraction for cerain players and its something they can work on. Increase their ranks etc. Would be nice if it become somehow visible within lobby so that all can see their current rank. For me main focus should also be on the average player. Make it a bit easier for them to achieve certains ranks. So that it attracts them more to play the Game. For Top players hmmm... i guess they already know the strength of each other. Probably not so much important for them. But maybe i wrong here. Some like points.
/
When in the near by future all can host ranked there should be some rules how you will handle trolls and deal with bans.
I currently really dislike how you deal with it. First you are currently the only one that can ban players, then sometimes they get 1 day ban
or 1 week... sometime u even speak about a month etc... its totally random depending on how you personal feel affected or trolled. So there needs to be rules every can follow. best discuss it with community. If it just something personal and everyone can host ranked then just block them from your game not from ranksystem.
This is a two sided sword in my opinion. It attractes certain players but it also leads to toxicity and trolling in a way it wasn’t before, this due the fact that teamgames are getting more competitive and that's cause of this points and many players are getting angry when they lose points with teammates and they yell at each other or they want people they don’t like to drop in points :roll: . For others they don’t really care about the rankings and they can adjust teams like before which is possible in a small community. The pandora’s box is already opened so i don’t think there is a way back. :?

About the trolling / banning i agree with Lancelot that there needs to be rules what is leading to ban and how long, some things that happen in P2N ranked games in drex stream are getting out of control.

Upcoming feature autoload Civ
Lancelot5 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:43 am
Currently you are using an marco which let u choose civ by hotkeys saving u some time and giving you an unfair advantage. Just a small one but well it defently helps your start. You said it will become a part in next drexmod. So it will be fair for all. But again it affects the gameplay in certain sets making buildingcostreduction civs a bit stronger. Really its just a small thing but I hope that u are aware of such things when make certains changes towards the game.
It’s currently unfair since only Drexmod 3 users can us it, and looking at them how they play with it than how they played before without is a big difference, it gives them an unfair advantage in games like Mid Sh (especially teamgame wingplay). If anyone have it, well the swords are the same lenght again then, however i personally don't see what this thing should bring to make the game better, it seems only to be for comfort and as said by Lancelot it affects gameplay by making certain tactivs and civs stronger. Should be cancellet imo. :thumbsupl:

Maybe upcoming feature: Minimapcolors - Minimapfilter
Lancelot5 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:43 am
Again a feature that toally affect the gameplay. Doing nothing gets rewarded while being active gets punished. Why would someone invest
ressources for a kind of "ambush" when its so easy to see on minimap. Sure its annoying when someone raping your citz and u didnt notice it. But it creates drama and make things exciting it can turn gameseven sometimes even if the odds are against you. And its easy avoidable by dont being lazy.

Solution: Instead of making a kind of "detector" maybe you could just change the chooseable colors by player. So when someone chooses black, grey, bluegrey ...that it replaces it automatically to a next free more visible one. Because these colors are a Problem.
alucard45 wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:35 am
Also i'm against these 2 features:

- Mini Map colors: show allied in blue (or other color), enemies in Red. (== detection citz landing on islands game :D :D )
- Mini map filter : show only units. show only buildings (== sieges localization on islands game :mrgreen: )
Agree, this affects gameplay big time, shouldn't be implemented imo. When there is a messy P2N Lategame or P2N Island happening for example and you try to use that hectic phase so sneak in some helicopters with prophets or howitzers ( :D ) you just block this kind of surprise things by using such things. This is just something that recuces possible strategies and variety, how does this make EE better? :)

giord wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:21 am
In my opinion, it's fair to claim that drexmod shouldn't be automatically enabled because it's a mod, not the original game. One solution can be this: you need to put in the title a keyword like "-DXM". In this way the players knows when the host has drexmod enabled.

I understand that more experienced players may don't appreciate the fact that drexmod simplify EE mechanics, but they should take into account that they won't find enough old-school players to make a "no-drexmod" game whenever they want. This community is not big enough. And you can't force new players to play without drexmod or some of its features. I'm a 2020 newcomer and i would prefer to stop playing EE than leave out drexmod.

Just to sumarize, I think that yukon can develop whatever feature he wants, but at the same time every player looking for a game should be able to recognize who uses drexmod and who don't.
I agree on the first part, it could be a compromise that at least certain DXM Features (f.e. HUD) need to be ENABLED instead of disabled since they change the gameplay that much.

About the other part:
You could see it also this way: drexmod is not drexmod. It also love many parts of drexmod like that scens can be played again without IP bullshit and that you can make things like setting 20 citz, random teams and such. But some aspects of drexmod like Zoom 30++ and HUD makes the game not better imo but take out gameplay mechanics like scouting and playing more active (using 40 zoom in island where you see just all is just big disbalance c'mon :wink: ). Also ranking can lead to more trolling and toxicity which isn’t great either in a small community :( . That’s why some players here doesn’t ask to ban drexmod but to make some adjustments :) .

drex888
Full Member
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon May 04, 2015 11:27 am
Lobby Username: Drex888

Re: Drexmod 3: Upcoming features

Post by drex888 »

Lancelot5 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:43 am
1. Zoom
Solution: Reduce the zoom to max 10-20 for all. Needs to be checked what is most acceptable for all. For Observers it still can be 30-40 so it wont affect records/streams.
Hi all, thank you for your interst in drexmod,
Old versions of drexmod has the Zoom activated by default, those versions are widely downloded and used. Even if I disable or reduce the zoom in the futur versions, you should keep to use -nomod to disable it for old versions.
In Addition, there are others public mods (and crertainly secret mods) on the web, which allow to increase the zoom. even I reduce it, that will not prevent some persons to use others mods. So why I should play ee with reduced zoom when others can use full zoom?
The majority of lobby players are new and use drexmod, maybe 90% of people download drexmod to have the Zoom or the Hud, disabling default features by default means forcing new players to do something they don't understand, to get the stuff for which they are there. Where is the logic in that?
Howver, I'll try (it's not easy) to make disabling dxm features more easy in the next versions. if it's possible, i'll add checkboxes options "Enable HUD", "Enable Zoom", ... in the Game Options.
Those options should be peristents, that means you have to set them only once, they are stored in the registry and loaded auto thereafter, like others native settings (Reveal map, use Custom Civs ...).
In dxm3, you can add default flags to your room name, as I do to have "-ranked" by default.

_DavE_
Advanced Member
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:23 am
Lobby Username: _[eC]_DavE_

Re: Drexmod 3: Upcoming features

Post by _DavE_ »

Overall, I don't see the zoom being a massive issue. It's only actually helpful in islands settings, and that isn't played anymore due to a number of reasons. Your zoom being one of them, but other reasons were bigger issues.

alucard45
Forum Noob
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:08 am
Lobby Username: deamon

Re: Drexmod 3: Upcoming features

Post by alucard45 »

_DavE_ wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:28 am
Overall, I don't see the zoom being a massive issue. It's only actually helpful in islands settings, and that isn't played anymore due to a number of reasons. Your zoom being one of them, but other reasons were bigger issues.
yea clearly more helpfull in island, but not in pre or middle, you micro army better with a lower zoom in than a higher zoom out, so these player who play with a high zoom in pre or any set exept island are just handicaped

User avatar
Sh00T
Forum Noob
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:47 am
Lobby Username: Sh00T

Re: Drexmod 3: Upcoming features

Post by Sh00T »

in the past i was one of those who did not agree with Yukon's ranking system, for those who played a lot in yukon's rooms in 2019 like me, you might remember that he first introduced this feature as an ELO algorithm to determine the "skill" of players, i never agreed because it simply counts the number of times you have won, simple like that which has nothing to do with the skill of players.

after some time he started calling it "ranking system", he may not have expressed well what his initial intention from the beginning. now that i have played several RTS games, his current ranking system works almost the same as the other. i think that is the simplest way to rank a player.

i support Yukon with his ranking system, hex civ detector, resources cheat detector. what I do not agree with him is that he added/is adding features such as zoom out, HUD, faster civ loading, etc. if we are going to talk technically and compare them to other video games/communities, these features are definitely called cheats. i think the reason why this is not so impacful here is because the community is small, there is no competitive pro level tournaments, most people play for fun.

i made a thread about this long time ago: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=43645

also the funny thing is that most of these players who support these cheats are these who only play one set or/and they are not good enough to realize how impactful these cheats are in other sets. for those who support these cheats, what is considered a cheat for you then? anyone like Yukon could add more "features" like show the resources of my opponent in my screen, show the amount of army, show number of workers, remove the fog of war, all of these cheats are not glitching resources, still you think they are not cheats?

i personally dont use any kind of mods, i tried them, i get used to playing with the zoom out for a few months, i stopped using it i dont like the idea of thinking that I have an advantage using extra "features" or someone is using them against me.

Lancelot5
Full Member
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 3:26 pm
Lobby Username: Lancelot5

Re: Drexmod 3: Upcoming features

Post by Lancelot5 »

drex888 wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:35 pm
Hi all, thank you for your interst in drexmod, ...
Hi Yukon,

Thanks for reply and sorry for my late answer but I am currently quite busy
and your ingame answers already made me worried.

You say that several versions of your mod already exists and even some other secret mods. I think that the zoom mainly appeared with the mods you created. I don’t know anyone that used it before. It would have been even as SHOOT said count as Cheat and even bannable. Sure many download it because of the advantages it gaves. They too strong.

But thank you for trying to offer some solutions for making disabling features easier but I personally think putting effort in that kind of direction is not worth it all. Deactivating Zoom wouldn’t even work properly resolution wise. Also in contrast to some others (I checked the older post on Shoots threat) I don’t think having more options and settings in a small community like EE make the game better. It just leads to less games played because everyone will stick to their own settings and won’t play together. (We had that with AOC in past).

So it should be only 1 Mod and all needs to be forced to play only with that one Mod. But it can’t be a one sided thing. That’s why we posted certain suggestions like reduce zoom and disable HUD by default. And as I saw now even players in past did that too. (thx SHOOT)

Is there no way to combine the new Drexmod3 version with ranking in a way that only the latest version will allow player to play ranked? Like that the ranking system checks if the players have installed latex Drexmod version. Otherwise they can’t join and get message to update.

If that’s not possible I don’t see there that much hopes for adjustment.
However I make another post to show how the zoom changed the gameplay and has a huge effect on it.

Lancelot5
Full Member
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 3:26 pm
Lobby Username: Lancelot5

Re: Drexmod 3: Upcoming features

Post by Lancelot5 »

-
Old-Gamplay (Interactive)

Here is a simplified scenario between an attacker and defender. The lightblue boxes represent the actual point of view from defender without zoom while the whole screenshot is with zoom. The yellow line is the line of sight the defender has. First thing to notice is that even with the line of sight the defender got he can’t see his entire base on screen. That’s the room where the interactions start.

Image

So basically a simple scenario here. Attacker knows that the defender rally his army in front of base. So he try to baypass with few troops. Then defender first have to react to a signal or Minimap to even notice the attack. Then he also need to scroll up to see how many troops are coming (really important) and needs make fast a decision how many units he needs to send for defense. To send defense the defender need scroll back to army, select units and need scroll back to top again to send army for defense. Meanwhile the attacker try another bypass on the left side. Again defender needs to notice the attack on Minimap or by Signal, scroll to the attack to check how many units are coming. Then again scroll back to army, select units, scroll left again to send units. Again this will cost time. Now depending on how well defender reacted the attacker can decide to go all in or go pocket etc.

You see in this simple scenario that here are many actions and reactions between both players. It not even Include that maybe citz need the be moved as well, what happen when defender didn’t notice 1 attack orwhen he sends to less or even to much units for defense at the side attacks. It would create even much much much more options. All that needs be done within several seconds.

But with zoom this way of playing is nearly completely gone because the defender instantly see how many units come, can send fast correct number of units for defense or if that’s even too much use his hand of god feature to select all citz within zoom range at once and send them to run towards his own army.
Last edited by Lancelot5 on Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lancelot5
Full Member
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 3:26 pm
Lobby Username: Lancelot5

Re: Drexmod 3: Upcoming features

Post by Lancelot5 »

-
New-Gamplay (Non-Interactive)

Here is the same simplified scenario (but basically it’s just like that) with zoom:

Image

Since aggressive playing with zoom isn’t that much worth anymore and you can check opponent via HUD it’s better to focus on own eco instead and trib pocket.

I am honest boomwise I was good but not great. I lived from interactive gameplay and forced the enemy to make mistakes and used them as Advantage. And it’s not really about If I or others could adapt to a much more boomwise gameplay. Will take a bit time but we could.
The Questions is if that is fun to play it that way. Personally I felt always bored when sit in base and focus on boom. It’s really like playing a Singleplayer game and that should not be the core mechanic of an RTS playing online.

P-51
Epic Multiplayer Scenario Team Member
Posts: 813
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:19 pm
Xfire: p51p51
Lobby Username: «•FRMB•»P-51
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: Drexmod 3: Upcoming features

Post by P-51 »

_DavE_ wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:48 pm
Giord, You say we should not expect new players to have to deal with the short comings of this game. Allow me to flip this round, why should us older players who have played the game for years put up with these new moderations?

...

You don't hear about the "lesser" players, or "newer" players coming in with their suggestions or orders like other games such as AOE2, and SC2, so why do we have it here?
You indirectly answered your own question. Unlike AoE2 and SC2, we don't have hundreds of people to play games with anymore. Any features that increase the playerbase are a good idea. When this project began in 2008 we had no idea that we would still be playing EE 12+ years later. It has been a wonderful blessing, and like most of us I wish it was still 2004, but community attrition will always be a problem. New players offer valuable input on how we can continue playing EE far into the future.

As a side note, I also agree that the zoom out is a bit extreme and could improve with a lower maximum. But zoom has become an essential feature and not just for new players. Many people, upon reinstalling EE, find that their graphics are fucked up and they are zoomed so far into the map that the game is unplayable. Drexmod has provided an easy solution to making the game enjoyable again for many older players who once struggled to restore EE with their current hardware. The HUD is functionally useless and and I don't really understand why it exists.

Lancelot5
Full Member
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 3:26 pm
Lobby Username: Lancelot5

Re: Drexmod 3: Upcoming features

Post by Lancelot5 »

P-51 wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:18 pm
As a side note, I also agree that the zoom out is a bit extreme and could improve with a lower maximum. But zoom has become an essential feature and not just for new players. Many people, upon reinstalling EE, find that their graphics are fucked up and they are zoomed so far into the map that the game is unplayable. Drexmod has provided an easy solution to making the game enjoyable again for many older players who once struggled to restore EE with their current hardware. The HUD is functionally useless and and I don't really understand why it exists.
Well its not about remove the zoom completely for the reasons you mentioned. But having that much ZOOM is really ruining the Gameplay. I would like have a mix of both scenarios I posted. It would be a kind of agreement where everyone has to move from his position.

I dont think that there are so many players just come because of all the features. How many players are really new ? For me it arent that many tbh. mostly its just new names but not new players. Sure the livestreams Yukon is doing really help to increase the playerbase but how big is the impact of the mod in contrast to the stream itself. As Dave were hosting the MID-Tourneys few weeks ago we had much more Players. Now he left due to incomplete ranksystem and HUD as he mentioned. Yukons answers were literally "lololol Noob go play Tetris". Same as Owned who brought some Players with his streams but left now too.

Also I prefer keeping old players online who playing game for years and will continue playing instead of focus on new players only. Most of them leave after a while anyway.

Post Reply

Return to “EE General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests