Smurf Detector Tool - Do we want it?

Talk about anything EE related and doesn't belong in another forum. Gameplay, chit-chat, or any questions you have -- it all belongs here.
_DavE_
Advanced Member
Lobby Username: _[eC]_DavE_

Re: Smurf Detector Tool - Do we want it?

Post by _DavE_ »

Maybe it's just me, the type of person that I am that isn't a massive fan of changing things when things don't necessarily need changing.

As for the pre community, as far as I'm aware they have always kicked noobs/smurfs because balancing the teams in a 4v4 for example is important otherwise it's just wasting everybody's time, and our time is precious. I can understand where they are coming from here. Having said that, there is more to EE than just p2n.

I use to play on the old Sierra servers when I was 16-19. I remember the gaming experience to be the closest thing to perfect I've ever come across. Whilst I am grateful and appreciate Jodocus and RealForce's work on allowing us to continue to play EE online, I fear we may be making too many changes... or am I just oldschool and not use to the way EE has evolved.

I feel like we are overlooking the main issue.. heading a little bit of topic here, but the best thing that could happen to our small EE community, is somehow finding a way to merge NeoEE with GR, and having just ONE place where we can play EE. Since I am a complete retard in technology, I have no idea whether or not this is possible.

tool
Lobby Username: (Zabijej) Tool

Post by tool »

Smurfing was always one of the greatest highlights of EE. The depth of which it went was astounding. I can't imagine EE without some mysterious incognitos or someone with questionable english mucking about. I've never seen the level of smurfing in any other game compared to EE. The level of smurfing and the subtlety of it really was second to none. It's no surprise bitter divorced pre players want it gone, they won't rest till the game is completely deserted.
mhm?!?

Black Star
Lobby Username: Die Gurke

Post by Black Star »

Im with dave, just Change sth that defo MUST be changed
[22:23:06] [-Ts-] Tricky: i dont even know what my name is anymore

AEnima
Intermediate Member
Lobby Username: AEnema

Post by AEnima »

You think that's the biggest problem we face today? _Lance_ just hosted a "1v1 anyshit", yet refused to meet my stone - bronze DM no lock teams request. Anyone want to explain that?

P-51
Epic Multiplayer Scenario Team Member
Xfire: p51p51
Lobby Username: «•FRMB•»P-51

Post by P-51 »

I agree with those who said that smurfing is part of the EE experience and the deterrence that it creates toward those who like to smurf is not worth any potential gain (what is the gain anyway?) for those in the community.

Lancelot5
Lobby Username: Lancelot5

Post by Lancelot5 »

AEnima wrote:You think that's the biggest problem we face today? _Lance_ just hosted a "1v1 anyshit", yet refused to meet my stone - bronze DM no lock teams request. Anyone want to explain that?
I can easily explain it!
I was bored that day because noone for pre or mid online and barley for liga. Additonally i want play something competitive but cant make endless gametitles while hosting with sets that are good. Then u come my game as smurf and tell me that u are the Mr. Stone to Bronze DM Men while i just told u that i dont like that and even suggested u to play mod DM instead althought i am not normally playing that either. Instead of speaking directly to me u go at the forums and says i am the biggest problem and put me in bad spotlight ???... U have some problems...

Towards Topic i dont think we need an additional tool, maybe the ranksystem can fix it a bit

AEnima
Intermediate Member
Lobby Username: AEnema

Post by AEnima »

Lancelot5 wrote:
AEnima wrote:You think that's the biggest problem we face today? _Lance_ just hosted a "1v1 anyshit", yet refused to meet my stone - bronze DM no lock teams request. Anyone want to explain that?
I can easily explain it!
I was bored that day because noone for pre or mid online and barley for liga. Additonally i want play something competitive but cant make endless gametitles while hosting with sets that are good. Then u come my game as smurf and tell me that u are the Mr. Stone to Bronze DM Men while i just told u that i dont like that and even suggested u to play mod DM instead althought i am not normally playing that either. Instead of speaking directly to me u go at the forums and says i am the biggest problem and put me in bad spotlight ???... U have some problems...

Towards Topic i dont think we need an additional tool, maybe the ranksystem can fix it a bit
my post was in bad taste, my oppologies

Dr.MonaLisa
Forum Noob
Lobby Username: Dr.MonaLisa

Post by Dr.MonaLisa »

I'm from a different community (EE2), and as in every community there always been smurfs. In 2011, when I started making Unofficial Patches for EE2 I changed the "smurfing policy" that every player was able to check the other player's account by a special website.
At the moment the Multiplayer Lobby shows related players accounts in the tooltip form:

I can say that after the "smurfing policy" has changed the community got more friendly. The multiplayer activity on EE2 isn't that big (max. 30 players on weekends), but before the GameSpy shutdown we had less players than we have now.
Smurfing is old. It was popular years ago, but now, when all new Multiplayer Games allow you to have only 1 account - smurfing is simply something unnatural.
I don't often play Empire Earth 1 Multiplayer, so my vote probably shouldn't count. However in my opinion every player should be allowed to check other player's accounts.

TzarKosta
Advanced Member
Lobby Username: TzarKosta

Post by TzarKosta »

Smurfing is not a crime :roll:

I smurf also from time to time to test tactics or simply to play comfortably on the couch without stress
and Without being treated as a noob if i dont play serious... 8)

Of course if you use it to insult other people It is something different :!:

Smurfing also has a disadvantage when you play your game of your life and no one knows who that was :mrgreen:

Can remember when I beat elfanor in a 1v1 for the first time in my life I was so proud but I played with smurf nick

Arntzen
Administrator
Lobby Username: _[eC]_Arntzen_

Post by Arntzen »

TzarKosta wrote: Smurfing also has a disadvantage when you play your game of your life and no one knows who that was :mrgreen:
Haha.. I know the feeling brah
A Good Place to Start: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3884
Click to download: eC Civilization

Minato
Basic Member

Post by Minato »

Smurfing is fun
Sometimes the reaction of the pro people you beat with your smurf name is priceless

Also , sorry for the dumb question but what "smurf" exactly means?
I thought it means using someone else name ^ which is definitely a crime
but from the comments above it seems that smurfing is when you change your account/name? whats wrong with that

I used to smurf in GR to avoid getting kicked :tongue:
You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choice.

Arntzen
Administrator
Lobby Username: _[eC]_Arntzen_

Post by Arntzen »

Smurfing is using a new and unrecognizable name. Usually done out of boredom, or as you said, to get a reaction out of experts.
Ghosting is taking someone elses name, pretending to be that player. This is hugely frowned upon.

It's possible to do a mix of these, like using a smurf name, but "ghost" that you were in a well known clan. Like [-Ts-] Legolas or Ws_Kid. This is also frowned upon, but not as bad as ghosting someone specific.

TL:DR
Smurfing = Unrecognizable name, can be anyone.
Ghosting = Pretending to be someone well known.
A Good Place to Start: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3884
Click to download: eC Civilization

lightnessking.
Nemesis

Post by lightnessking. »

doesn't even have to be a well-known person. Any player will do.
You cannot make another post so soon after your last.

Return to “EE General Discussion”